How much Do You Gain By Evening?

Options
Ok, so, when I wasn't drinking water I would only be up about 1-2 lbs at night. Now that I'm drinking 2 liters of water a day, I'm up about 5 lbs by bedtime. UGH!!!! Yes, I know I shouldn't keep weighing myself at night, but I always panic and worry what that morning number will be. What's the most you've gained by evening and gone back to your normal weight in the morning? Just curious.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I don't want to know. What's the point? I eat very very high volume. Like hundreds and hundreds of grams of heavy vegetables and tons of fluids. I don't need to see that on the scale.
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't want to know. What's the point? I eat very very high volume. Like hundreds and hundreds of grams of heavy vegetables and tons of fluids. I don't need to see that on the scale.

Same here. I'd rather eat loads of healthy food in quantity, rather than small amounts of junk.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    2 litres of water weighs 4.4 lbs whether its in a jug or in your body. Of course you weight more after putting more in.
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    Options
    2 litres of water weighs 4.4 lbs whether its in a jug or in your body. Of course you weight more after putting more in.

Wow! I didn't realize that. I guess you're right, cuz 64 oz is 4 lbs. Well, don't I feel stupid lol
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning, butt nekkid and after you've used the toilet. :) Worst time of day is in the evening after you've been eating and drinking all day. That weight isn't fat, though, just food and stuff.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stop weighing yourself at night. You're going to go crazy. There's no point unless you want to run some kind of experiment.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What you have to understand is that your weight will fluctuate during the day anywhere from 1 to 5 pounds. It's going to depend on what you eat how much you eat and your bathroom habits.

I have access to scales at work and out of curiosity I weighed myself during different points in the day. I can weigh 218 in the morning and after lunch time 222. sometimes if it's hot and I drink a lot I could weigh one or two pounds more. But the next day when I weigh myself in the morning I'm 218.

As far as weighing, you should weigh yourself no more than once a day and don't let the scale control you. Yoyocontrol the scale. what you also have to realize is this is a lifelong journey and if you trust the process it will work overtime

• MaryLuvsTheLamb
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning, butt nekkid and after you've used the toilet. :) Worst time of day is in the evening after you've been eating and drinking all day. That weight isn't fat, though, just food and stuff.

Yes, that's what I do, but I have a very bad habit of checking out again at night. I'm probably discouraging myself for nothing.
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    Options

I have access to scales at work and out of curiosity I weighed myself during different points in the day. I can weigh 218 in the morning and after lunch time 222. sometimes if it's hot and I drink a lot I could weigh one or two pounds more. But the next day when I weigh myself in the morning I'm 218.

Yup, that's exactly what happens. Whew! Glad I'm not the only one. Thank you!
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Please weigh yourself every hour overnight and let us know what happens. :o

Wow!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    Food and water has weight. When you consume it, the weight is in you.

Try this experiment.

First thing in the morning, use the toilet, then weigh yourself.
    Now go drink 500 ml of water.
    Now weigh yourself again.
    Chances are you will have gained 0.5 kg.

So yes, chances are you will weigh more at the end of the day ... especially if you've eaten or drunk something recently.

So there's no point to weighing yourself frequently throughout the day, unless you're doing experiments like the one above.

Or unless you want to ensure you drank enough on a very long bicycle ride. Once in a while I will weigh myself before a long bicycle ride, and again after. If I'm about the same weight, that's a good thing. If I weigh a little bit more, that's OK too. But if I weigh significantly less, that's not a good thing. I'm dehydrated.
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful tips everyone!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning, and when I get home from work. ALWAYS. And, I am typically 2lb heavier in the late afternoon than I was in the morning. Like clockwork. Try not to worry about it :)