Best time to Stretch?

Options
Specifically: when is the best time to stretch -- immediately following a workout (mostly runs); or is an hour afterwards still helpful?

The weather here has been HOT (90+ degrees), so I finish an evening run sweaty and exhausted. (I run outdoors around our home) My first mission is to get back inside the AC house, hit the shower and rinse off...and then relax a bit. So I sometimes don't get back around to stretching for at least 30+ minutes later, sometimes even hours later in the evening.

Do you think it would help to stretch immediately following my runs, or is awhile afterwards going to achieve the same results? I am really focused on stretching due to recent (June) sciatica and having very tight muscles ever since. Do you think timing of stretching after exercise makes a difference? Do you think time of day in general for stretching makes a difference?

On a side note: I've taken to stretching lightly in the morning, and it's been helping my sciatica pain and residual cramps in my calves, hamstrings, glutes, and hips.
I also stretch or do light yoga in the evenings, but more focusing on unwinding and relaxing.

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Do you think timing of stretching after exercise makes a difference?

Not generally speaking. Do it whenever works best for you.
    For chronic tightness, stretching several times daily is best. :+1:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try it both ways and answer your own question. For me it's best to stretch within 15 min because my muscles are still warm & loose. I can definitely tell the difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Try it both ways and answer your own question. For me it's best to stretch within 15 min because my muscles are still warm & loose. I can definitely tell the difference.

This for me too
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Is there ever a bad time to stretch?
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in increasing your flexibility/range of motion, immediately after exercise is the best. Your muscles are the warmest, and it is most safe to push the boundaries of your range of motion in order to increase them.

Waiting an hour or more will give your muscles time to cool off. If you simply want to reduce tightness, you should be fine to do light stretching on cold muscles. However, if you want to do deep stretching or increase range of motion, stretching cold muscles can be dangerous & lead to muscle pulls & tears.

So it just depends on your goals.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Why not do it in the shower? I do that and light massage when needed. Make sure you are hydrated, perhaps recent "[r]esidual cramps" and "[t]he weather here has been HOT (90+ degrees)" are related. Feel your pain with sciatica, I restarted cycling as a means to dealing with mine. The prolonged duration in an aerodynamic pose alleviated it for me especially with regards to foot drop.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Don't stretch while you are driving. B)

Before exercise, static stretching (holding the stretch) should usually be avoided. The exception is if you have an overly tight muscle that will negative effect your form if left unstretched. That's a hard thing for most people to self-diagnose.

Why do you ask?
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses and help! All your insights are very helpful...I'll try to do a little better about stretching immediately following a work out and see if it helps. And continue with other stretching routines in morning and evenings as well.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Why not do it in the shower? I do that and light massage when needed. Make sure you are hydrated, perhaps recent "[r]esidual cramps" and "[t]he weather here has been HOT (90+ degrees)" are related. Feel your pain with sciatica, I restarted cycling as a means to dealing with mine. The prolonged duration in an aerodynamic pose alleviated it for me especially with regards to foot drop.

I do stretche in the shower, like forward fold standing, or even in the tub!
    The cramps are definitely not directly related to the heat; I hydrate well. The cramps are specially in my right calf and somewhat in my right hamstring; this was the side I had sciatic pain. These cramps have only come on since taking prednisone and the sciatica, over the past 6 weeks.
    I've been spending more time in the pool to help with the sciatica, still some easy exercising.
    Thanks again!

• NikkiMichelleS
    Options

Technically, no....I was more questioning on whether there was an actual "best" to stretch. I stretch several times a day, but was curious if I was doing my self a disservice by waiting so long after exercising to stretch.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Technically, no....I was more questioning on whether there was an actual "best" to stretch. I stretch several times a day, but was curious if I was doing my self a disservice by waiting so long after exercising to stretch.

I do a stretching routine right after my running cool down walk (about 5-10 minutes of walking). I'm well warmed up and can get a full range of motion on all the stretches.