Walking for Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    I'm with ya on the walking, it's the only exercise I do, and if you walk enough you can burn quite a few calories. I try and aim for 20-25,000 steps a day which equals around 15kms.

That's a great goal for me to work up to :smile: Right now though, both of my kids are way too small to keep up for even a 1k walk and my dog has a hip injury so she doesn't like walking too long either. Whenever I get the chance to go solo though I always wind up doing at least 4-6k

Do you have a bike? Chuck your kids and dog into one of these:

6pknjdotsdo3.jpg

OR

bb1raab27eml.jpg

Walking at kids pace is mighty frustrating and doesn't do much for your fitness lol

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I want so much to walk. Daily. But dogs used to bite me, and I worry about dogs while walking. I actually lost count of how many times I was bitten from age 8.2 until 17. Admittedly, the last time I was bitten was 50 years ago, but the fear is still exasperating. My husband says I can carry his dog spray, but where's the guarantee that the wind won't blow it back in my face instead?

I finally did walk a mile a couple weeks ago, but it was disastrous, as far as any peace while doing it. Right now, I can't drive to a park or to the waterfront (cataracts; operation sometime in Sept-Oct).

Any suggestions, other than, "Oh, get over it!"

"Walk at Home" - these are walking style videos/DVDs. I live in he midwest & use these when it's too cold, or there's too much snow and ice.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=Youtube+Jessica+Smith+Tv+Walks&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Check your library for DVDs - most of the "Just Walk" videos will give you a music only option.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm checking into these, @TeaBea . I'll be using these or something like them sometimes, when I can't get out.
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I walk almost every day, for at least 3-4 miles. I prefer to walk first thing in the morning, It's REALLY helped my stress level and sets the tone for the day for me! I have not lost any weight (yes, I am logging in all my food too) but I do feel I have lost inches.

I have tried to run but recently I have just decided not to fight it anymore. I love to walk. It's a great workout. I don't need to run to get a good workout and it's better on my joints.

Nice to find this group!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I walk almost every day, for at least 3-4 miles. I prefer to walk first thing in the morning, It's REALLY helped my stress level and sets the tone for the day for me! I have not lost any weight (yes, I am logging in all my food too) but I do feel I have lost inches.

I have tried to run but recently I have just decided not to fight it anymore. I love to walk. It's a great workout. I don't need to run to get a good workout and it's better on my joints.

Nice to find this group!

I wish i could find the energy to exercise or even just walk first thing in the morning. My legs are like heavy weights for 2-3 hours after i wake up, i walk at sloth speed for my first round of laps in the am.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Just a thought for the gal who wants to walk but worries about dogs. What about walking with poles? Dogs often find them intimidating. And they do offer some protection.
  • Dragons1997
    Dragons1997 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:50am and leave the house around 6:00am and go walk 5 miles for almost 2 hours than come back and get ready for work and so far I'm down almost 5 pounds