How important is daily calorie intake?

Options
13»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Weighing your food doesn't matter, only MFPers who want to eat way too much think it does.

That's just all kinds of backwards. If someone wanted to eat way too much, weighing his/her food would probably be the last thing to do. Just eat.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If you're in smaller clothes you're losing inches. Personally I'd rather lose inches than lbs. The scale is only one way to measure progress.
  • VeryMinci
    VeryMinci Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey guys... me again!! Thanks so much for all your feedback, I really appreciate your time .... I think I may have figured it out.... I went out and purchased a new scale today and as it turns out I'm down more than I thought ... so woohoo to that!!! It appears the scale was faulty ... however I was also backed up quite a bit which an herbal lax tea helped out ...
    As for your questions what I'm eating and what clean eating means to me ... no processed foods and trying to keep the 80%20% with some low sodium spices (loving the flavor God line) Sriracha and so on .... I'm following this nutrition plan as it makes most sense to me and it's easiest to follow ... I cut out all dairy because I'm lactose intolerant and as soon as that was out of my diet my stomach flattened and I'm feeling better ... as for the pasta rice and couscous ... it's a personal choice ... perhaps not realistic for long term for I'm kicking it for the next 12 weeks ...

My nutrition / exercise is as follows (and pretty much every day is the same) ... I do take at least one day off from running and gym but have been going on hikes on those days- taking advantage of the amazing weather
    6am 20/30 min run/walk with my pup
    8am I make a fruit smoothie: banana, strawberries blueberries raspberries blackberries almond milk chia seed and flax seed
    10:30 half quest protein bar
    12:30 tilapia salmon or chicken breast over veggies
    3 other half of protein bar
    6 walk the puppy for 45/1 HR
    7ish gym more running and lifting
    830 - yes big gap but timing is tight - similar to lunch

Sometimes I add almonds for a snack

I take amino energy, fish oil, cla

The reason why I haven't been able to eat more than 1200 is because I'm eating way more quantity wise and the foods I'm eating don't have a high calorie value ... I'm feeling stuffed all the time and end up eating both lunch and dinner in two goes
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat larger portions: more almonds for example.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »
    Weighing your food doesn't matter, only MFPers who want to eat way too much think it does.

I read on a daily basis. Mostly trash and brain numbing articles on how to be more...anything. I read about the joke that is our election. I read about people crashing while hunting pokemon or falling off cliffs. I have even read about stupid criminals. The point of my banter is I read a lot of stupid stuff, YET the above comment is still the most absurd thing I have ever read....in my life. :s
    Yup.. I was thinking "what the heck??" I still weigh most my stuff after two years of maintaining. Huh??
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    hope516 wrote: »

I read on a daily basis. Mostly trash and brain numbing articles on how to be more...anything. I read about the joke that is our election. I read about people crashing while hunting pokemon or falling off cliffs. I have even read about stupid criminals. The point of my banter is I read a lot of stupid stuff, YET the above comment is still the most absurd thing I have ever read....in my life. :s
    Yup.. I was thinking "what the heck??" I still weigh most my stuff after two years of maintaining. Huh??

Yeah, calories aren't even the only reason to weigh food. I'm concerned with macros and micros too.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 I was curious, too, so I looked at @seekingdaintiness profile. She lost a ton of weight without a foodscale, which is mentioned in her profile information. I personally find using a food scale helpful, but she does not.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 I was curious, too, so I looked at @seekingdaintiness profile. She lost a ton of weight without a foodscale, which is mentioned in her profile information. I personally find using a food scale helpful, but she does not.

I read their profile too...and she sounds angry and a lot of what is in it is wrong...

no need to bash those who use a food scale...ensures we are eating less....and like I said my brother uses one and he isn't losing weight he does it due to his diabetes....always did.
  • lar25473
    lar25473 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but I know calories aren't the number one most important thing. Eating good calories is the most important thing. But you also have to watch sodium and transfats. For example, ramen noodles (like the little cup sizes) have over 1,000mg of sodium but only 230ish calories (anyone wants to correct me feel free). Doesn't make it healthy at all. You have to consider all the factors of a food item, not only the calories. Of course that doesn't mean a high calorie, low sodium/fats food is good for you 100% of the time. It depends on the type of calories...good carbs: in wheat bread. Bad carbs: in fried food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I agree, I've asked this before of her but she must be confident in her calorie counting. But to say food scale is not necessary or users of food scales as bunch of overeaters or whatever she called us is bizarre. Good on her but to bash us, not sure what her problem is. Losing a lot of weight makes you angry, I guess.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lar25473 wrote: »
    I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but I know calories aren't the number one most important thing. Eating good calories is the most important thing. But you also have to watch sodium and transfats. For example, ramen noodles (like the little cup sizes) have over 1,000mg of sodium but only 230ish calories (anyone wants to correct me feel free). Doesn't make it healthy at all. You have to consider all the factors of a food item, not only the calories. Of course that doesn't mean a high calorie, low sodium/fats food is good for you 100% of the time. It depends on the type of calories...good carbs: in wheat bread. Bad carbs: in fried food.

you are wrong.

for weight loss calories are king.

and even if you are striving for health put a label of "bad" on food is not healthy....

food is fuel that's it...sodium isn't an issue unless you have a medical reason to watch it...for example I have low blood pressure so I need extra sodium.

and as far as wheat bread being better how so????? I eat white bread made with olive oil...thick dense and soft and moist...nothing unhealthy about it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

You're right on sodium, but not just for the reason you think. All we ever hear about is how bad it is, without most realizing that without it, you will literally die. It's necessary for ion channels to function. My sodium intake has to be above 5000/day, otherwise low blood pressure kicks my *kitten* every time I stand up.
    There's nothing inherently great about wheat bread vs. anything else either. All wheat products have to be enriched to be worth eating, from a micronutrient perspective.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Um... what? I eat panfried meat and eggs almost daily that have 0-1 carbs. It's not breaded. Maybe that's what you mean. I don't think there are "good" carbs and "bad" carbs. I think there are carbs that I personally need to stay away from because they make me want to eat more, but I know for a fact that my roommate can eat those exact carbs with no problems. YMMV.

It is important to consider all the factors in a food for the sake of nutrition, but the calories still matter. Some people are able to eat certain macro combinations without tracking calories because the satiety of their foods is so high they never go over the prescribed amount of calories (in fact this happens to me several days out of the week, but I shudder to think what would happen if I wasn't paying attention to it because half the time I can't even remember what I ate - was that tuna salad lunch today or yesterday?). I'm not entirely sure how they track the macros without also tracking calories. For me, if the data is there, it goes in, but that may be a personal quirk.

Also, salt isn't bad for everyone. I need quite a bit of it because my body keeps kicking it all out and electrolytes are a thing. I don't eat ramen anymore, but salt isn't the reason.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

If your body is smaller but the scale hasn't gone down, you probably have lost fat and are retaining water and some time soon it will all flush out. Just keep it up.

It's the other way around for me. I weigh my food so i don't eat too much! My diary when i first started here is woefully inaccurate and laughable! I resisted using a food scale for a long time, but after doing so i realised how much more i was eating than i thought.

Weighing ones food is certainly not a prerequisite for weight loss, it just helps me with accuracy. You may be ace at estimating calories, but me, I'm hopeless at it. Plus using a scale also stops me from portion creep, like an extra scoop of ice cream or dollop of mayo etc etc. Once that number on the scale hits the logged amount, i stop adding, It just helps me remain accountable, is all.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What is "clean" eating? Why have I lost 60+ lbs ignorant of clean eating while maintaining a consistent calorie deficit? There are many mysteries in life. Another is how you can net 300 - 700 calories every day and not lose weight in 4 weeks. I've only been using mfp since January 2016. In that time I've seen many people introduce themselves as eating 1200 calories, exercising vigorously, and not losing weight. Most of them start bawling about how hard it is after 1 or 2 weeks. You made it to 4 weeks. That's relatively impressive. Try following the advice you got above, except ignore the woo about 'starvation mode'.
  • VeryMinci
    VeryMinci Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What is "clean" eating? Why have I lost 60+ lbs ignorant of clean eating while maintaining a consistent calorie deficit? There are many mysteries in life. Another is how you can net 300 - 700 calories every day and not lose weight in 4 weeks. I've only been using mfp since January 2016. In that time I've seen many people introduce themselves as eating 1200 calories, exercising vigorously, and not losing weight. Most of them start bawling about how hard it is after 1 or 2 weeks. You made it to 4 weeks. That's relatively impressive. Try following the advice you got above, except ignore the woo about 'starvation mode'.

Congrats on your weight loss that's very impressive .... as I mentioned above MYSTERY HAS BEEN SOLVED. My scale was messed up ... I purchased a new one and noticed the change I've been expecting given that I've dropped in dress size and notice a change in my physique.
    I never once complained that this is difficult ... it's mind over matter and I'm focused ... I just said it's maddening not seeing the scale move ... I am a numbers person ... it is what it is .... and today I'm a very happy girl ;) ....
    Stay awesome Jerome :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Of course calories trump when it comes to weight loss. After all, too many calories that make us gain weight, too few that make use lose weight, and just the right amount that makes us retain. Yep, our calories in/calories out balance is what makes or breaks our weight management goals. ;)

Also, there are no good or bad carbs, there are just....carbs.

Nothing wrong with food with lots of sodium, they are just.....foods with sodium.

What is/is not healthy is all in the perception and, setting aside any medical issues, we can eat anything we want and lose weight.

Sodium is good for some of us, too who have low blood pressure. Pass the salt and I'm happy!!!