Newbie lifting advice for a poor coward? ;)

Options
SueSueDio
SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
Hello, lovely people!

I would like to start some strength and/or resistance training (are those actually the same thing? ;) ), and I’m after some advice. I know there are a bunch of good posts around on the subject of lifting, but I have some trouble picking out which bits are most relevant to me. I have a few issues, and I’m going to try and address those as well as give answers to questions I think you might have for me, so this’ll be a long post!

The tl;dr version – I want to try lifting but I’m terrified of hurting myself (and also have no money for equipment)! Advice?

The long version...!

There are a bunch of issues that I have with starting some kind of lifting program – various concerns and restrictions, along with a fear of hurting myself. So I’ll just spell them out for you guys and let you pick out what’s important and what’s fluff and excuses. ;) (My stats are at the end, along with what I hope to achieve.)

Pain – I’ve had issues with my back, neck and shoulders for years. I started chiropractic treatment a few years ago, and one of the things my chiropractor discovered via x-rays was that my spine was twisted – the top third turned one way, and the bottom third turned the other. (We suspect the problems might have been initiated by a car accident I’d had about 25 years earlier, but we don’t really know.) After a couple of years of adjustments it was almost straight, and I have a lot less pain now than I used to (yay!). Most days my back is fine, although it’s still easy to hurt it by overdoing things like yard work or moving things around, where there’s lots of bending and/or stretching. My shoulders are pretty much always “tight” at the moment, even after an adjustment (which I can’t afford to have as often as I need), and I find it very uncomfortable to raise my arms to shoulder height or above... it doesn’t take long to become more painful if I hold them in that position. This is the main reason I’m concerned about hurting myself – it doesn’t take a lot to cause pain in my back that can prevent me from moving easily, although it has been a lot better over the past couple of years (and I’m hoping continued weight loss will help with that too!). I had a really bad bout over the holidays last year and could barely move, but starting some gentle exercise once the worst was over seemed very beneficial.

Flexibility – I’ve never been very flexible, even as a child, and don’t have a good range of motion in my joints. In particular, my ankles are stiff and I can’t keep my heels flat on the ground when crouching at all. It’s also very hard to do so when attempting some kind of squat (although I’m not sure if I have the right form or even how low I should be trying to get – just having a go at squatting without holding any weight).

Balance – my sense of balance is (and always has been) quite poor. I also tend to be unsteady when I stand up, or straighten after bending. My blood pressure is fine these days, although it used to be low. (I had my physical this morning and my doctor didn’t note any issues that could be causing this light-headedness.) I’m concerned that if I tried to do a deadlift or squat I would stagger and either fall or drop the bar.

Strength – another of the many things I lack! I have never in my life managed a single push up. I struggle to lift a 30lb pail of cat litter some days, although last week I was able to carry one downstairs with one hand rather than two. Go me! ;) I have successfully lifted 50lb bundles of shingles from waist height in the past and carried them a short distance (by hoisting onto my shoulder), but probably risked hurting my back by doing that and could only manage two or three trips. I couldn’t move the 70lb bundles at all.

Funds – cash, moolah, dough, filthy lucre... whatever you want to call it, I ain’t got much of it! I’m unemployed and funds are very limited, so no gym memberships, personal trainers or even “cheap” equipment from Craigslist is on the radar. I might be able to scrape together $50 for a set of dumbbells or resistance bands, but that would be about it right now. I have heard about a few bodyweight programs that don’t need equipment, but I’m not sure which would be suitable with regard to my other concerns.

Professional advice – my doctor has no issue with me starting some sort of program; neither does my chiropractor, but he does advise that I should start light and make sure to keep all movements symmetrical (i.e. lift both arms at the same time, no ‘rows’ on alternate sides etc.).

What I want to achieve:

Improved strength and stability. As I mentioned, I’ve had poor strength, balance and flexibility since I was a child and I think it’s high time that changed, if it’s not too late! I also think that strengthening my back muscles will help to minimise any back pain in future.

Retain whatever muscle mass I might currently have while continuing to lose fat.

Improve my body shape, especially (hopefully!) my flabby belly and my thighs and upper arms!

My current stats:

Female, 50 years old, 5’6”. Currently 185lbs (started at 217). My initial goal weight is 150lbs, and I’ll reassess how I look and feel when I get there to see if I want to aim lower (though I haven’t been less than about 140 since I was a teenager!). My calorie goal is 1,360 to lose 1lb per week, which is about the rate I’ve been losing at and I’m happy with that (no special “diet”, I just eat what I like but less of it). I’m very sedentary at the moment, and my exercise consists of a bit of walking a few times a week.

I think that’s it! Sorry if there’s too much info there, I was trying to anticipate some of the questions and suggestions that might come up. :)

Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome so I know there’ll be a bunch of helpful responses!

Replies

• Jbones55
    Jbones55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would look on YouTube and watch some of the free Jillian Michaels workouts posted in there. You could probably get away with purchasing a kettle bell or resistance bands for around $20. The videos on YT are her exact workouts that are sold on Amazon but you can watch for free. Good luck!
  • stormflower
    stormflower Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This a fun bodyweight-only routine with lots of different levels and a clear path to follow, so you can work your way up from a low level of strength:

The Angry Birds Workout

It does include one-arm rows, but you can easily substitute those with two-arm rows. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ok, here goes....
    If it was affordable, and the doctor cleared me for it, I would do Aqua fit or Iyengar yoga before looking at strength training. Both of these will help with mobility, balance, posture, and flexibility. They will also improve muscle and core strength.

There are a couple of at home routines I really like and think you could start working with them, even if you can't afford the above.

Nerdfitness is a basic bodyweight routine. I love it. You can start doing one set and simplify the moves to your abilities.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

HasFit is a hand weight routine. Again simple moves with basic hand weights. Household objects will do instead. Watch through, make notes, and do it at your own speed.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Make your goal for both to complete the routines, not being able to complete them initially.

I also quite like 30 day shred, the speed it goes at may not suit your initial mobility though.

Cheers, h.

Off to check the angry birds out. Sounds fun.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    From scanning the long version of your post, I would really recommend you look into yoga. Yoga is amazing for back issues and flexibility. As someone who is not very strong, it can also help you build strength in a safe way, as you're just using your body weight. A good teacher will also offer different variations of a pose so that you can access it at any level.

Live classes are the best when you are a complete beginner, as the teacher can see what you are doing & offer you specific advice/adjustments to help you get the most out of it. I know you said that funds are very limited, so maybe if you found a yoga studio & went to class once a week or every other week. Then you could supplement with yoga videos at home.

YouTube yoga can be great, but keep in mind that anyone with a camera can post. Just because they say it's yoga, doesn't mean they know anything about practicing safely or correctly. I would strongly recommend the channel Yoga With Adriene. She is WONDERFUL for beginners & people new to yoga & she has tons of playlists & videos. I would also recommend Colleen Saidman. She does not have a channel on YouTube, but there are some sequences of hers on there. ( - a playlist of 20-minutes yoga sequences. Colleen is the one with long curly hair. The other teachers are very good too, but I love Colleen.) If you are interested in buying a yoga DVD, Rodney Yee is has lots of wonderful options.

Keep in mind that there are many, many styles of yoga. From butt-kicking to melt-your-brain relaxing. So don't be afraid of trying out a few different classes/styles/teachers. Good luck!
  • stormflower
    Options
    The four "basics" I suggest to begin with are (1) squat, (2) pushup, (3) row, and (4) plank.

FYI Sue -- these are the four movements in the Angry Birds workout I posted! :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How do you get to strength, agility and flexibility? Practice, practice, practice...

I would start with a 4x10 of the push/pull training mentioned above and work in some bridges and static lunges. Clear lunges with your doctor.
    Go slow and perfect form. Then start timing yourself (with perfect form). Then try to beat your time. Then add more resistance. (There are bodyweight programs as mentioned like YAYOG and Nerd Fitness that can help you track and plan your progress)

I like DeFranco's Agile 11 for prepping my body. I also put my own yoga routine together that helps with my tight areas.
    Brett Contreras (<--Google RKC plank), Alan Thrall, Cressy, AthleanX... have helpful videos on form or movements to prevent aches and pains.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far - I'll start doing some research (i.e. sitting on my butt watching videos... ;) ) and learn a bit more about these moves and routines!

@cutbackcoach - Jim, that was a very detailed and informative post, thank you! It's great to read about how much your wife and her sister improved their fitness too, that makes me feel that it's not impossible for me - I can't imagine climbing mountains, but maybe a steep hill... ;) I believe that my chiropractor's advice on symmetrical movements was aimed at not letting one side "pull" too much and throw out the other side, which seems to be what happens a lot with my shoulders and upper back. But I'll definitely study some videos and try a few different things to see what seems comfortable and do-able.

@KiyaK I hadn't considered yoga in terms of improved strength before, but I can see it would help balance and flexibility. I'd be a bit concerned about not having proper form if I used videos, but that's something else I can look into... I think classes around here are going to be too expensive for me at the moment, but I'll check out the videos and people you mentioned! The only free class I know of locally is a Zumba one, and that's not really of interest to me right now. (Plus I'd presume it would be more cardio than anything else?)

A question regarding warming up - I see the Angry Birds workout recommends jumping jacks for this. I can't really do those (because reasons... ;) ), so would something like jogging on my mini trampoline for a few minutes be suitable?

Thanks again, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond! I'm happy to hear more thoughts on the subject too. :)
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @SueSueDio You sound enthusiastic and full of life, I like that. As for not having funds and wanting to exercise/get fit.. Get outside! Lol, seriously. There's so much one can do in a field! Throw bodyweight exercises into the mix and maybe some jump rope and you'll be on your way. You can always start with what you have. I've gone periods where I've stopped working out in the gym due to circumstances however I kept my fitness and my physique up with outdoor training. Trust me, you can do it. Good luck with it all.
  • stormflower
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    A question regarding warming up - I see the Angry Birds workout recommends jumping jacks for this. I can't really do those (because reasons... ;) ), so would something like jogging on my mini trampoline for a few minutes be suitable?

Absolutely! Maybe with some arm circles too, to warm up your arms as well. :)

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    To answer your first question, resistance band training is a form of strength training, though the way they work your muscles are different. Strength training with weights is more of an explosive workout [you use a lot of your strength to lift the weights] while resistance band training is more of a steady tension workout [you have to keep up muscle tension throughout each exercise, as the bands keep a constant tension on those muscles].

As for a warm-up, I usually do squats, lunges, various stretches and end it with side steps [I'm missing part of my left foot, so balance issues keep me from doing jumping jacks effectively].
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    All of the above is great advice.
    I would also suggest you stop wasting money on an expensive chiropracter - unnecessary and unproven to be clinically effective. Visit a proper doctor for referral to a physio if there is a real issue. Most likely though, as you get fitter and stronger you will have less back and joint problems.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sue,

Its similar for rows. I suggest ignoring that advice against doing one-arm rows - its ridiculous. You don't need a dumbbell, just something that weighs a few pounds to start with. A gallon milk jug full of water weighs eight pounds. You can hold one or two of them. Brace one hand on a chair to keep your back flat and parallel to t

Jim provided a lot of good information, the bolded part is not. The OP was told by a medical professional she has been working with NOT to do rows. She should listen to the doctor. An individual who claims to be certified strength coach should be the last one to tell a trainee to ignore a medical professional who has been treating the person.

Don't get me wrong, rows are a great exercise but she should be cleared for them by her doctor. Maybe the next time she sees the doctor she can ask the reasoning for no rows and maybe he can suggest an alternative.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I read the book "Can You Go?" by Dan John, a long time, well known trainer. In the book he talked about what he called the "get back up". Basically you lie on the floor in various positions and get up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E

It's great for help with balance and strength. Depending on any issues someone has they may use a different way to get up than the person in the video, and that's fine. Might want to check if the doctor has any issues with this.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent for weightlifting. It's my favorite thing to do and I'm usually the first person to say "grab a barbell/dumbbells and get to squatting" but based on your description of your lack of mobility/balance and your goals I agree with @KiyaK and think yoga would be a fantastic start for you. If you practice consistently it will increase your balance and core strength immensely. It should also help with tight hamstrings/hip flexors and ankle mobility which will eventually allow you to "crouch" or squat without coming up off of your heels. @cutbackcoach left a great detailed post that suggested incorporating (1) squat, (2) pushup, (3) row, and (4) plank. These moves are so important and though they go by different names in yoga, squats, pushups and planks are all poses that are frequently included. Weightlifting/strength training has gotten me really strong but nothing has improved my ability to effortlessly function on a day to day basis like yoga. Plus there are a ton of free online resources so at most the cost would be getting a mat if you don't have one and maybe a couple of yoga blocks.