Is my calorie intake too low?

Replies

• angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Try calorie-cycling. This can help break through a plateau without freaking out your system with a sudden influx of calories. If you do 1200 calories one day, do 1400 the next...and start a rotation like this. Also...depending on how lean you are, you may benefit from a "cheat/treat" day where you eat at maintenance. This can kickstart the metabolism which becomes a bit "content" after too long on a deficit.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Try calorie-cycling. This can help break through a plateau without freaking out your system with a sudden influx of calories. If you do 1200 calories one day, do 1400 the next...and start a rotation like this. Also...depending on how lean you are, you may benefit from a "cheat/treat" day where you eat at maintenance. This can kickstart the metabolism which becomes a bit "content" after too long on a deficit.

There's something more going on than a simple metabolic issue. As stated, the OP is on a daily 400-500 calorie deficit, which should be close to a pound lost a week. Either there are hidden calories or something bigger is going on.
  • angelwowings23
    kwtilbury wrote: »

There's something more going on than a simple metabolic issue. As stated, the OP is on a daily 400-500 calorie deficit, which should be close to a pound lost a week. Either there are hidden calories or something bigger is going on.

Not necessarily. Our bodies fight fat loss throughout the whole process. If OP has been eating at the same deficit for an extended period of time, weight loss will eventually halt. Your body is an amazing machine and will adapt. Don't complicate a pretty simple solution.
  • kaet_nicole93
    kaet_nicole93 Posts: 11 Member

Over the last year I found out that I do have a medical condition affecting my pituitary glad but have been on medication for it. I have thought about getting my Thyroid tested just to make sure all is good there. I did Insanity about 3 years ago when I first got into working out and followed the meal plan. I lost about 10 pounds and was eating more than I currently am. Then the following fall I dropped my calories down to 1200 because I stopped working out as intensely and maintained. Then, last spring I started gaining again and reached 140. I have only been able to drop down to 132 when I stop taking my birth control. I'm just at a loss because I have been working out intensely and trying my best to track calories and macros and feel like I am doing worse than I was 3 years ago. It's more frustrating than anything.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2016

Not necessarily. Our bodies fight fat loss throughout the whole process. If OP has been eating at the same deficit for an extended period of time, weight loss will eventually halt. Your body is an amazing machine and will adapt. Don't complicate a pretty simple solution.

Actually, you're the one who is complicating a simple solution. The OP is most likely not lean enough to encounter leptin related issues. The simple solution is that she needs to weigh all of her food, as she has a tiny margin of error and her food diary is inaccurate. My weight loss never once halted from 139 to 115 pounds and the reason why is because I used a food scale to weigh everything I ate unless I was eating out, which was rare. In cases like that I overestimated. It was only from 115 to 108 that the process was much slower because I didn't have much to lose, if at all. The OP still hasn't addressed how long it has been since she last lost weight, but I honestly do believe she's eating far more than she thinks. 99% of the time, that is the answer to the "I'm not losing weight" posts on these forums when a medical issue isn't present and said medical issues are rare.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    edited July 2016
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Something's not adding up. At your height and weight and activity level, your maintenance calories should be somewhere north of 1,500.

That's what I'm getting too. I have her at about 1650 calories...

So does this mean I would be maintaining at 1650 calories daily?

What is your goal weight?

I would like to be down to 125 and then maintain from there.

Ok then. If all info is accurate, you should be losing on 1500 - 1650 calories per day...
  • J72FIT

So calorie cycling is not over complicating?
  • kaet_nicole93
    kaet_nicole93 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2016
    synacious wrote: »

Actually, you're the one who is complicating a simple solution. The OP is most likely not lean enough to encounter leptin related issues. The simple solution is that she needs to weigh all of her food, as she has a tiny margin of error and her food diary is inaccurate. My weight loss never once halted from 139 to 115 pounds and the reason why is because I used a food scale to weigh everything I ate unless I was eating out, which was rare. In cases like that I overestimated. It was only from 115 to 108 that the process was much slower because I didn't have much to lose, if at all. The OP still hasn't addressed how long it has been since she last lost weight, but I honestly do believe she's eating far more than she thinks. 99% of the time, that is the answer to the "I'm not losing weight" posts on these forums when a medical issue isn't present and said medical issues are rare.

I have been at this weight and fluctuating 2-3 pounds each week since August of 2015. Like I mentioned earlier, I have been able to drop more (Mid December of 2015) but had to stop taking my BC in order to do so.
  • angelwowings23

What's difficult about taking in more calories one day and less the next? People do it all the time without trying. LOL!
  • Maxematics
    edited July 2016

I have been at this weight and fluctuating 2-3 pounds each week since August of 2015. Like I mentioned earlier, I have been able to drop more (Mid December of 2015) but had to stop taking my BC in order to do so.

Birth control can make you retain water, but it won't make you flat out gain weight. If you saw a temporary scale drop in mid December after stopping your birth control, it was due to water retention. If you have been fluctuating the same two to three pounds for almost a year, then you are definitely eating at maintenance and not a deficit. My suggestion to you is to use your food scale to weigh every single thing you eat and use measuring cups for all liquids. Everything should be logged, including cooking oils and drinks. Also, try to be as accurate as possible with the database entries you choose by putting "usda" in the search bar while searching up fruits, vegetables, meats, or anything where you do not have the packaging for what you've used. When you do have the packaging, use the nutritional info. Packaged foods should still be weighed, as the gram weight can vary greatly from the listed weight. Also, meats, rice, pasta, etc. should be weighed raw when possible.
  • angelwowings23
    edited July 2016

You don't have to be lean to hit a plateau. You can be obese and hit a weight loss plateau because a body will adapt. I'm so happy that you didn't incur such a situation but you and OP aren't exact copies of one another. Their journey is going to be different than yours. *facepalm*
  • Maxematics

You don't have to be lean to hit a plateau. You can be obese and hit a weight loss plateau because a body will adapt. I'm so happy that you didn't incur such a situation but you and OP aren't doppleganger's. Their journey is going to be different than yous. *facepalm*

Most plateaus are not plateaus; they are caused by the person eating far more than they think. Of course the OP and I will not have identical results, but I can tell you now she hasn't been at the same weight for a year because she isn't calorie cycling. So you can take the *facepalm* and apply it to yourself because the fact that calorie cycling is your first suggestion instead of looking at her diary and seeing how off it is really isn't helpful for the OP and will make things more complicated for her. I can easily flip what you've said back at you and say that just because calorie cycling apparently worked for some people doesn't mean it would work for the OP.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    So your "plateau" has lasted almost a year? Or since December, if that's how you want to put it.
    How much of this time have you been accurately and consistently logging to achieve fatloss?
    For me, it's easy to think I've been "dieting" for a while, but looking back I will realize I have had several untracked days (or weeks) or gotten sloppy with my entries. As mentioned before, it doesn't take much to wipe out a moderate deficit. If you've been struggling with it for this long I would take a good look at how well you are actually sticking to your goal.
  • J72FIT

What's difficult about taking in more calories one day and less the next? People do it all the time without trying. LOL!

It's not difficult, but it is more complicated. Day to day lifestyle etc. Besides, those methods are generally only useful to people who are trying to squeeze out another few body fat percentage points. Better to address the foundational eating habits first.
  • angelwowings23

You don't have to be lean to hit a plateau. You can be obese and hit a weight loss plateau because a body will adapt. I'm so happy that you didn't incur such a situation but you and OP aren't doppleganger's. Their journey is going to be different than yous. *facepalm*

Most plateaus are not plateaus; they are caused by the person eating far more than they think. Of course the OP and I will not have identical results, but I can tell you now she hasn't been at the same weight for a year because she isn't calorie cycling. So you can take the *facepalm* and apply it to yourself because the fact that calorie cycling is your first suggestion instead of looking at her diary and seeing how off it is really isn't helpful for the OP and will make things more complicated for her. I can easily flip what you've said back at you and say that just because calorie cycling apparently worked for some people doesn't mean it would work for the OP.

I absolutely agree. Pretty sure we were all trying to give suggestions to try and help OP, most likely based off of our own experiences. Why you're so aggressive, I have no idea. You aren't there with her when she is measuring out her foods so, for all you know, her measurements are exact. This would make your theory on why she isn't losing weight completely moot, as well. This is a forum for support and you clearly aren't here for that. Your negativity is completely unnecessary so please direct that elsewhere.
  • J72FIT

I absolutely agree. Pretty sure we were all trying to give suggestions to try and help OP, most likely based off of our own experiences. Why you're so aggressive, I have no idea. You aren't there with her when she is measuring out her foods so, for all you know, her measurements are exact. This would make your theory on why she isn't losing weight completely moot, as well. This is a forum for support and you clearly aren't here for that. Your negativity is completely unnecessary so please direct that elsewhere.

I don't find her advice to be negative at all...
  • angelwowings23

It's not difficult, but it is more complicated. Day to day lifestyle etc. Besides, those methods are generally only useful to people who are trying to squeeze out another few body fat percentage points. Better to address the foundational eating habits first.

That's fair to say. Thank you for getting your point across in such a eloquent manner.
  • angelwowings23

The "tone" of her comments to me are combative. I'm here to give a suggestion on what someone can do to play around with their calories and see if that helps move the scale. Let the OP figure out what advice she wants to utilize and what advice she doesn't. I doubt she needs another poster to make that decision for her.
  • J72FIT
    edited July 2016

The "tone" of her comments to me are combative. I'm here to give a suggestion on what someone can do to play around with their calories and see if that helps move the scale. Let the OP figure out what advice she wants to utilize and what advice she doesn't. I doubt she needs another poster to make that decision for her.

True. That said, I think she was responding to your *facepalm*...
  • angelwowings23
    edited July 2016

True. That said, I think she was responding to your *facepalm*...

Her initial comment to me was aggressive, too. Regardless, if someone is going to get snarky with me because in internet-land, I'm taking MY OWN palm to MY OWN face...there's an issue there. And not in anything I typed.