Sprint Triathlon - Not prepared - Help

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to your race report.......
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Looking forward to your race report.......

Yes, I am too! I've always thought I wanted to do a tri sprint. But it's scary!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you're so screwed. just get through this one and use the time as your baseline for the next one lol
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My goal for my first tri was to make it to the end without drowning, crashing, crying, or walking. And that was after solid training. But if you go in with the expectation of just getting to the end, you can probably pull it off.

Biggest concern would be knowing you can swim the distance. If you have a chance to do at least one open water swim to get a feel for it, that would be helpful. Be prepared for mass chaos at the start. You may want to let everyone else start out and wait 10-20 seconds so that you are not caught up in the chaos. Some races will offer "swim angels" (a volunteer who swims next to you) to anyone not comfortable in the water. If it's an option you might want to take it.

Take it easy on the bike. Just make it to the transition with a little energy left in the tank.

Walk the run if you need to. Just get to the finish. If you have a chance to do a bike/run (or walk) brick before the race it would be helpful to get an idea for what that transition will feel like. It's a very awkward feeling, sort of like jello legs. But the more you are able to practice it, the easier it gets.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much all for the advice.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx @3dogsrunning @BrianSharpe @omma_to_3 @glevinso @hannahsadler_tn @socalrunner59 @robininfl @ka97 @kimrunsonplants @scorpio516 @bketchum1981

I made it in one piece. I'm alive.
    Swim was 21:20
    Tran 1 was 2:09
    Cycle was 47:37
    Tran 2 was 1:23
    Run was 34:12

It was very frustrating. The strap on my goggles snapped and I had to grab a spare pair at the turn around.
    The chain came off my bike 3 times on the cycle and I had to stop to pee in the bushes during the run.
    All in all, I was delighted that I finished it and I raised a bit for a very good charity, but I definitely could have got around quicker.

Phenomenal. Well done!
    Are you inspired to do another?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I knew you could. I'm glad you posted an update, I was wondering.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing. Sounds like you had an eventful first race!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Well done! First time out, finishing is the goal, you did it!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I did one I want prepared for at all. It was hard. Really hard.

My biggest advice is to be prepared to be really sore. Like really sore. I was anyway.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    woo hoo! Now imagine what you could do with actual traing! Sign up for next year now and look out world!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx @3dogsrunning @BrianSharpe @omma_to_3 @glevinso @hannahsadler_tn @socalrunner59 @robininfl @ka97 @kimrunsonplants @scorpio516 @bketchum1981

I made it in one piece. I'm alive.
    Swim was 21:20
    Tran 1 was 2:09
    Cycle was 47:37
    Tran 2 was 1:23
    Run was 34:12

It was very frustrating. The strap on my goggles snapped and I had to grab a spare pair at the turn around.
    The chain came off my bike 3 times on the cycle and I had to stop to pee in the bushes during the run.
    All in all, I was delighted that I finished it and I raised a bit for a very good charity, but I definitely could have got around quicker.

Stopping to pee is wasted time! ;)

Seriously though, congrats! Glad you were able to make it through and finish well!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Looks like you did well for not being prepared. I have one in a couple of weeks that I don't feel as prepared for as I would like...I know I can finish, but not finishing last in my age group is the goal and beating my brother, who is also not as prepared as he would like to be.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Stopping to pee is wasted time! ;)
    Isn't that why we wear black shorts?

OP congrats on finishing, even with all the setbacks (a lot of people would have thrown in the towel when the chain came off for the 2nd time) !

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Once you learn how to pee on the bike, life becomes so much easier :) And yup, black shorts always helps.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Once you learn how to pee on the bike, life becomes so much easier :) And yup, black shorts always helps.

I haven't reached that point yet. I've only done up to HIM though so maybe some day?
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Congrats m8 you did it. Now focus reduce your timing. Again, well done!