I'm new to this...help.

Options
Hello MFP members! I'm looking for people to help me on my weight loss journey. I have no idea what I'm doing, what foods/how much to eat, etc. I'm 24 yrs. old, 5'8, 177lbs, female. I want to lose 30-40lbs. About 2 weeks ago I started going to the gym, increasing my protein intake, and decreasing my caloric intake. I lost about 2.5lbs, but I could use some advice and inspiration. Leave comments or add me as a friend! I set my diary to public. :)

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great start! I'm short so I have no idea about weight for taller ladies, but how did you choose that weight range? Is it right for your height and frame? I ask because having the right goal will save a lot of frustration along the way.

If you want to see what my journey has looked like, you can check it out here: :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10428970/2-years-130lbs-and-a-very-long-post-with-a-pile-of-pics-at-the-end
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Set up your profile in MFP. It will give you the amount of calories you can eat in order to meet your target loss. Eat that amount. Eat any food in any combination at anytime of the day or night to meet that target. Get a digital food scale and weigh all your food to get as accurate a calorie value as you can. Exercise helps with fitness but weight loss is accomplished in the kitchen. I am sure others will chime in whith other important things, but the overarching principle here is calories consumed must be less that calories expended, for weight loss to happen. Good Luck!!
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think you've gotten off to a good start.
  • myersaa298
    myersaa298 Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CoachJen71, I'm not sure what my weight should be for my age and height. I chose that goal because that's how much weight I've gained in the past 4 years. I use the picture that I've attached here as my inspiration. That was me when I was 20, and I'd like to at least get back to that size.

kv8ptlri7ywa.jpeg
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    myersaa298 wrote: »
    CoachJen71, I'm not sure what my weight should be for my age and height. I chose that goal because that's how much weight I've gained in the past 4 years. I use the picture that I've attached here as my inspiration. That was me when I was 20, and I'd like to at least get back to that size.

kv8ptlri7ywa.jpeg

Since I was a chronic yo-yo dieter, I have no idea if we are supposed to weigh the same all through our 20s. But yes, if your body landed at that weight naturally, it seems like a good start. There is a bmi weight calculator here that you might try, just for curiosity's sake: http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I find calories in (what you eat) should be less than calories out (what you burn) It's that simple.

Then it's living a healthy life and making healthy choices. I lost 100 lbs but didn't keep it off because I went back to eating poorly. No matter what, I find this list to incompass good healthy choices that will make it very hard to gain back the weight you will lose.
    • Limit your intake of sweets, refined carbohydrates, and fried foods. (Note: I didn’t say “never eat sweets, refined carbohydrates, or fried foods.”)
    • Avoid eating in front of the television or computer.
    • Eat more vegetables and fewer starches. (In other words, gravitate toward foods that fill you up for fewer calories.)
    • Take slightly smaller portions.
    • Stop at a single cocktail or glass of wine.
    • Have fruit for dessert—or no dessert, most of the time.
    • Drink water or tea instead of soda.
    • Make time most days for a 20-30 minute walk at lunch or before dinner, or both.
    • Take time on weekends to shop and do a little cooking so that you’re not as dependent on take-out and prepared foods to get you through the busy week.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've picked a reasonable goal weight, a reasonable calorie deficit, you're eating back exercise cals, you're logging even when it puts you over, you're hitting your protein goal... You've got this for sure :)

Do what you're doing for now. If you hit a plateau, consider a food scale - you've got a lot of cups and even numbers in your diary, so I assume you're not weighing things. Weighing will give you more accuracy.

If lifting isn't part of your gym routine, add it now. Resistance training will preserve muscle so most of the weight you lose will be fat, and you'll be happier with your body when you get down to your goal weight range.

Keep it up!
  • myersaa298
    myersaa298 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I find calories in (what you eat) should be less than calories out (what you burn) It's that simple.

So if I eat 1,500 calories in a day, I need to burn off more than that? When I go to the gym I only burn off about 300-400!
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For now focus on getting into the 160s. You can achieve a goal like that in September. Then the 150s for Christmas. It's tough to commit to a big goal that's 6 months away.
  • CoachJen71
    edited July 2016
    Options

So if I eat 1,500 calories in a day, I need to burn off more than that? When I go to the gym I only burn off about 300-400!

You want your total calories minus exercise cals to equal 1500. That would be your net calories.

So eat 1800 if you exercised off 300. (Assuming the burn is correct. That is why I use a Fitbit. Better numbers for me.)
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    @myersaa298, you have a good goal weight in mind for your height. I am the same height as you and I have 20 pounds more then you to lose at this point. I am going to send you a friend request, I like having friends with similar goals. And my diary is also open to at least people on my friends list.
  • kyguy2000
    kyguy2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try doing p90x. I started a week ago and I lost about 2 pounds and I did my first chin-up. I will leave with this quote from tony Horton. Whether you are eating good or doing a hard workout. "Don't say I can't instead say I currently struggle with..." Then just try your best and you will get results you want.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    kyguy2000 wrote: »
    Try doing p90x. I started a week ago and I lost about 2 pounds and I did my first chin-up. I will leave with this quote from tony Horton. Whether you are eating good or doing a hard workout. "Don't say I can't instead say I currently struggle with..." Then just try your best and you will get results you want.

My cheerleaders aren't allowed to say "I can't" without a "yet" at the end. ;)
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

You burn calories sleeping, breathing and typing. Even in a coma, you burn calories. The calories mfp gives you to eat include daily life. It also figures a deficit based on the rate of loss you selected (750 calories of deficit daily per weekly lb of loss) Don't include your intentional exercise in your activity level. Then the exercise calories figure in on top of that amount. You can eat those calories back, or a portion of them, if you like. Most people should eat back at least a portion.
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting the right amount of protein, carbs, and fat in your diet. Also always change up your workout routine to avoid boredom. Also try to add strength training.