Does anyone else here use a Garmin to track activities? Simple (I hope) question

Options
Hi All,

I am using a Garmin Fenix 3 to track my activities and feed into MFP. All works very well. Just one question - when I am tracking an activity, for example a hike, I can't find any way for the watch to show the current date and time! Any suggestions? I've read the manual and tried google for an answer but so far no luck.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Look in "Other Fields" and you can add Time of Day. I don't know that you can add the date. I suspect that they didn't mean for you to be running an activity for over 24 hours.

Also I found this.
    Simplest thing is press-and-hold the Clock/Down button for a couple seconds until the clock displays. Tap Start/Stop to go back to the Activity screens.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You can add the time of day as a custom field. I'm not sure you can add a field for the date, however.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Hold down the DOWN button (bottom-left corner) for a few seconds. This will return you to the watch face and widgets, but it will continue recording your activity in the background. Then you press START or BACK to get back to the activity and your data screens.

The three buttons on the left of the watch have icons inscribed on them, the two on the right do not. Those icons tell you what happens with a long press of the button. Down returns you to the watch face no matter what you're doing, up goes into the menu system, and light turns the watch off. The buttons on the right do not have icons because you can assign your own hot keys to them.
  • singletrackmtbr
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Glad I saw this thread. I didn't know that stuff!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The buttons on the right do not have icons because you can assign your own hot keys to them.

By the way, I really really really wish you could assign a hot key to calibrate your power meter. That's probably not possible because of the sensor pool and programming model.

So I have the stop watch and timer features as hot keys. Stuff I use regularly. Exercise means sweat means a lot of laundry, and in an apartment building, that works best with a timer. Stopwatch is great for all kinds of things outside the context of exercise.

To set a hot key, go into the menu, then settings, scroll down to system (last item) and hot keys. Select the button you want to assign, and your choices are:
    • Off
    • Save Location
    • Timer
    • Stopwatch
    • Bluetooth
    • Dual Grid
    • MOB (Man Overboard)
    • Lock Device
    • Wifi

It's really just a matter of what you want quick access to.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    The hot keys I knew about. I use the top one for Bluetooth (saves a lot of battery life if you don't always leave it on) and the bottom one to plot a point, as you just never know if you ll need it.
  • charsiufan
    charsiufan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, problem solved.