Simple Ways to not gain back the weight you lost.

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
edited July 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I read this and thought I would share it.

(about me - I lost 100 lbs, but did not do maintenance and gained back the 100lbs. I know better know, and agree with this as a simple way to keep your weight down.)
  • Limit your intake of sweets, refined carbohydrates, and fried foods. (Note: I didn’t say “never eat sweets, refined carbohydrates, or fried foods.”)
  • Avoid eating in front of the television or computer.
  • Eat more vegetables and fewer starches. (In other words, gravitate toward foods that fill you up for fewer calories.)
  • Take slightly smaller portions.
  • Stop at a single cocktail or glass of wine.
  • Have fruit for dessert—or no dessert, most of the time.
  • Drink water or tea instead of soda.
  • Make time most days for a 20-30 minute walk at lunch or before dinner, or both.
  • Take time on weekends to shop and do a little cooking so that you’re not as dependent on take-out and prepared foods to get you through the busy week.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/how-to-lose-weight-without-dieting?page=1

Replies

• cee134
    Options
    But what do you do when maintenance feel like the same amount of work as being at a deficit?

I agree and that was a huge problem for me. Seeing blood tests, knowing the illnesses that faced me are some reasons I knew I wanted to change. Changing my diet and jumping on the forums to talk to people are what has helped me, and it hasn't been as bad. When I came across the Simple Ways, I thought, I'm already doing most of those (if not all), that is a very helpful thing to do, that makes maintenance not seem so bad.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I'm curious too, but I don't want to be a jerk.

So let's imagine a theoretical person who lost X pounds, then gained them all back.

What goes through this person's head when they reach .25X, .5X and .75X pounds regained?

I ask because maybe in talking about it, I/you/we can identify some thought patterns that can be nipped in the bud.

I only gained back 15lbs, but what "allowed" it to happen was I stopped getting on the scale (because I knew it was a number I wouldn't be happy about) and I had stretchy pants, and clothes in my closet that fit me at a higher weight.

I just used some rough times and emotional issues as an excuse to eat way more than I knew I should, and ate until my stomach hurt, every day.

• tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So when you see your weight go up, how much do you "allow" yourself before you start taking steps to lose again?
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you gained your weight back! Out of curiosity, how did you manage to gain it all back? Did you not adopt healthy habits while you were losing the weight?

Many of us have probably lost and gained several times even though we adopted healthy habits while we were losing. Unfortunately, those habits don't always stick. Consistency is key. Also, life happens and sometimes we lose track of our health. So many reasons for not sticking to those healthy habits. Just my opinion though.
  • cee134
    edited July 2016
    Options
    So when you see your weight go up, how much do you "allow" yourself before you start taking steps to lose again?

Near gaining 100 lbs again. After every 10 lbs I thought, oh I've lost more, it won't be that hard to lose again, I'll start trying to lose again soon. I was very sick of logging and calorie counting.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    I have to respectfully disagree. After you reach your maintenance, figure out how many calories you should be eating to maintain your weight. (your TDEE) This may take a few weeks. Eat that many calories. Some people need to continue to count, weight and measure, some people already have a good idea with out doing this. You can either eat your TDEE daily, or as I do, figure out your weekly allowance, since I tend to eat more on the weekends. Your tips can certainly help some people, who are struggling to stay within their limits, but some of us eat dessert all the time, and I have multiple drinks every weekend. With my kids grown, I eat in front of the tv every night. But......one of the biggest habits I had to break, while I was losing weight was to stop mindlessly eating while reading a book.

You look gorgeous. How much did you lose?

• cee134
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Please note: I thought of these as loose suggestions.... I thought of it as an easy way to steer oneself to the goal of healthy living. I don't follow everything listed, but I like the suggestions and understand the science behind the suggestions.

The science is that a healthy diet and exercise can help prevent weight gain.

Please use common sense to implement these suggestions to your own life.

For example, if you are already jogging every day, you probably don't need to walk for 20 - 30 minutes a day, the idea is to get some exercise in your life. Walking 20 - 30 minutes a day is a very Simple Way to add some exercise if you aren't doing any.

I know for myself, I didn't like logging anymore. If I, for example, ate more vegetables then starches, I would have been better off. If I did not eat so much dessert every day and ate fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth, I would of been better off.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    mamadon wrote: »
    I have to respectfully disagree. After you reach your maintenance, figure out how many calories you should be eating to maintain your weight. (your TDEE) This may take a few weeks. Eat that many calories. Some people need to continue to count, weight and measure, some people already have a good idea with out doing this. You can either eat your TDEE daily, or as I do, figure out your weekly allowance, since I tend to eat more on the weekends. Your tips can certainly help some people, who are struggling to stay within their limits, but some of us eat dessert all the time, and I have multiple drinks every weekend. With my kids grown, I eat in front of the tv every night. But......one of the biggest habits I had to break, while I was losing weight was to stop mindlessly eating while reading a book.

You look gorgeous. How much did you lose?
    thank you so much! 118 pounds a few years ago.