How do you deal with social commitments

Options
For the first time since starting my little weight loss kick the scales have been flying down this week, I have been really enjoying my progress.

Then I realised that this weekend and next weekend I am goin to be drinking a hell of a lot (and I mean a HELL of a lot)
It's a stag do so I can't really refuse to drink.

I'm really annoyed about it, I keep thinking that all my hard work and good results are going to go out of the window and I'll be back to square one again, I'm half tempted to just I've up for a few weeks and then start up again when I've out all they social festivities out of the way.

Replies

• girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Drinking won't make you gain weight if you balance it out. I usually drink hard liquor because it's less than beer in calories (mix with a seltzer). I drink waaay too much to not know about this lol. I'm still losing weight. You just have to be smart about your choices and if you're going to drink a lot one night, balance it out with exercise or a better diet the rest of the week
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The way this weekend is due to go that'll mean a lot of exercising and very little food lol

It's just frustrating more than anything
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I cheat and occasionally order a Diet Coke instead of an alcoholic drink at the bar. Cuts the calories, keeps the social commitment and lessens the headache the next day!
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's my birthday this weekend so I'm worried too. if I've gone out before I budget calories for snacks and drinks and just figure on doing the same this weekend! we'll get through it
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Shots are only about 70ish calories. Also this website is pretty good.... www.getdrunknotfat.com
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just had a weekend where I think I drank for literally 48 hours and not health conscious drinks either, even stuff that I don't normally drink like Mike's Hard. Honestly, it did set me back but what mattered is when Monday came around I was back to my routine and didn't let what I did bother me that much. Then do it again the following weekend. Two weekends shouldn't have to destroy your progress.

I think telling yourself to break for a couple of weeks is not a good technique. You can, at the very least, try to maintain where you are now until you're able to continue with a deficit.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with abitofbliss. Enjoy your weekends, just be super diligent during the week in between and after. I fight this battle like, every weekend. :)
  • leebirm
    Options
    Ok so following my first weekend of drunken tomfoolery which couldn't be avoided my weight has gone up a little, it was 3 solid days of drinking (and eating very little) I still felt horrible at work yesterday and I made up for my lack of grub with a nice big take away curry last night.

I've just jumped on the scales and I'm up by 1lb, I've got 4 days to get back on the horse before my second weekend of social commitments, this weekend shouldn't be quite as bad.

Hopefully next week I'll be back where I need to be.

One thing though is that I've woke up completely unmotivated by the thought of doing any exercise, I'm not going to beat myself up about it for having some time off but I'm going to make a concerted effort to get back on my bike either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.
  • soontobeslim87
    soontobeslim87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've found that after a weekend of heavy drinking my weight fluctuates up a few lbs. As long as I go back to eating how I was before I've usually lost those lbs plus some by the week after. My thought process is if I'm going to maintain losing weight long term I can't deny myself those nights out. I usually just log it hope my weekly average is still under my goal for the week and move on. If I know I have something big coming up I'll usually try and eat a little lighter where I can during the week to make up for it. Working by a weekly average works much better for me.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »
    For the first time since starting my little weight loss kick the scales have been flying down this week, I have been really enjoying my progress.

Then I realised that this weekend and next weekend I am goin to be drinking a hell of a lot (and I mean a HELL of a lot)

I'm really annoyed about it, I keep thinking that all my hard work and good results are going to go out of the window and I'll be back to square one again, I'm half tempted to just I've up for a few weeks and then start up again when I've out all they social festivities out of the way.

1. You don't have to drink. Yep, you can refuse. Your choice.
    2. If you CHOOSE to drink, you don't have to be an idiot about it. You can still enjoy yourself responsibly.
    3. "I'm really annoyed about it" The only thing to be annoyed with is you and your choices. Make the right ones.
    4. As stated above, in the long run a night or two, a weekend or two, really are a blip as long as they don't become the routine.
    5. "I'm half tempted to just I've up for a few weeks," sounds like you might have made up your mind. Remember, it's your mind to make up.

Try this, stay sober, and get a GOOD look at how your friends look and act while messed up. You're no different.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Why not? Because it is the convention to get blistering drunk? Or because your friends tell you what you can and cannot do?
    If you want to join in then work it into your calories. For instance say three beers and don't down them at the speed others go. In the end you should be able to get to drinking one when others maybe have 4. By the time you get to your limit they others are so drunk they won't notice that you drink water and if they do they will have forgotten the next day.

I do not drink alcohol. When I moved cities and had a bunch of friends and with them on regular pubcrawls and drinking binges it took them 6 months for them figure out that I was not drinking at all. They assumed I was a slow starter and that the water was Vodka.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    While one day shouldn't derail continual progress, you CAN refuse to drink. I quit drinking at 28 and no urging from friends FORCED me to drink. You either make the decision to or not.
    Also, how about being the one voice of reason there and making sure that no one drives home drunk? DD is nothing to be ashamed of and I do it all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Your body is a machine and it requires fuel. Alcohol provides the worst of all things: useless calories (no nutrients), it's hard on your liver; and it lowers your resolve to ignore the bad foods. If you MUST drink booze, at least give your body some decent "fuel" to go with it. If you don't have the backbone to say no to drinking senselessly, then fake it. Nobody needs to know there's nothing in your Diet Coke besides Diet Coke - or drink the low-cal beers alternated with water. Or as someone else said - be the DD and be the hero.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

1. You don't have to drink. Yep, you can refuse. Your choice.
    2. If you CHOOSE to drink, you don't have to be an idiot about it. You can still enjoy yourself responsibly.
    3. "I'm really annoyed about it" The only thing to be annoyed with is you and your choices. Make the right ones.
    4. As stated above, in the long run a night or two, a weekend or two, really are a blip as long as they don't become the routine.
    5. "I'm half tempted to just I've up for a few weeks," sounds like you might have made up your mind. Remember, it's your mind to make up.

Try this, stay sober, and get a GOOD look at how your friends look and act while messed up. You're no different.

THIS. I don't drink because both sides of my family have drunks, not alcoholics, because I want to set a good example for the children in my life, and because I spend my calories on pizza, chocolate and cheeseburgers.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The older you get, the more you realize the toll alcohol takes on your body. Stay with a beer or glass of wine once in awhile.

Just picture how Edward Kennedy looked....
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have tried to slow down on the alcohol. It's much harder socially & on weekends.

First, offer to be the designated driver. You have a built in excuse to refrain.

Another trick is drink 1 pint of water for every alcoholic beverage you consume. This will actually help your hangover the next morning.

Think about what you are drinking. Yes, alcohol is still empty calories but you will consume fewer of them if you drink Miller 64, Michelob Ultra, Budweiser 55 etc. then if you are wolfing down pina colodas.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It would be hard liquor for me. Alternating water in between, and probably saving/banking calories and even some hard workouts! I have to eat before I drink or I would really be a cheap date!!!

Life would suck with out some celebration from time to time!
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    OP, you will have some retained water after a weekend of drinking, but with proper hydration it should smooth out over a couple days. To keep the calories down I try and stick to rum and diet coke or something similar.
  • leebirm
    Options
    wow, thanks for all the responses people

I actually meant for my post today to come across as a mini positive, I said that I was going to get back to where I wanted to, this weekend wasn't going to be as bad and that I was going to make a concerted effort to get myself motivated again.

I appreciate people saying 'you can say no' and even 'pretend to drink by having water instead of vodka' etc, that wasn't really an option for me as it was my oldest friends stag do and I don't get to see him all that often these days so unfortunately in my eyes bailing out and drinking water wasn't really an option in my eyes. I don't go out much at all these days so this was just one crazy weekend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The way this weekend is due to go that'll mean a lot of exercising and very little food lol

It's just frustrating more than anything

I don't think this is a very healthy way of looking at things. Doing X, Y, or Z and then saying..."well now I guess I better go do a bunch of exercise" can and often does lead one down a pretty dark path or at least a pretty *kitten* relationship with fitness.

If I'm going to go out and have a good time, I might alter my eating that day somewhat...like have a lighter breakfast and/or lunch or something and then I just enjoy myself. This is the rest of my life we're talking about here and in the grand scheme of life, social occasions here and there are pretty irrelevant when the rest of my 90% is good livin'.