Protein

Options
Hello! I'm only a week in and I've been staying within the macros with the exception of protein. I keep going over. Not only am I using MFP but also still tiring to stay within my point range of WW using the app Protracker. Is going over the protein allowance a bad thing??

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I think the macros are suggested minimums, not allowances. :smile:
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you go wayyy over it might not be the best, but if you're staying within your caloric needs you'll be okay
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you eating/day?
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    if your goal is to shed fat and lose weight and you go over on some of your macros then you may as well go over your protein or fats. With that said, try to come below your daily caloric goals.
  • daphnec1994
    daphnec1994 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The point of macros is to get as close to each amount of macronutrients as possible. It's not really about keeping under or over. Otherwise it kinda defeats the point of tracking your macronutrients.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Disagree - the macros are in line with the suggested RDA values from the government and are not hard and fast rules - lots of people on this site (myself included) have thrown out the default values and adjusted the numbers to fit our own personal goals.

With that being said - how much protein are you actually eating on a given day? Do you exercise, do you have underlying medical issues that might be affected by protein consumption?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you go wayyy over it might not be the best, but if you're staying within your caloric needs you'll be okay

define Wayyyy over? I get in 120grams
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Disagree - the macros are in line with the suggested RDA values from the government and are not hard and fast rules - lots of people on this site (myself included) have thrown out the default values and adjusted the numbers to fit our own personal goals.

With that being said - how much protein are you actually eating on a given day? Do you exercise, do you have underlying medical issues that might be affected by protein consumption?

They are in line with RDA Minimums...not maximums.

OP don't worry about it really for weight loss it's calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What a good macro breakdown is depends on the person. For protein, I focus on the studies that indicate that getting at least .65-.85 g per lb of healthy body weight (goal weight works) helps protect against muscle loss when at a deficit. Since I'm 125, I aim for at least 100 g (.8x120) and don't care what the default MFP recommendation would be. Going over this amount doesn't hurt either -- I think of protein as a minimum, not a maximum (and I don't care what my carbs and fats are, when one rises the other falls).
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It is set too low on MFP anyways - I eat between 120-160g of protein per day, and it works just fine for me....
  • TheresaOrtiz3
    TheresaOrtiz3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »
    if your goal is to shed fat and lose weight and you go over on some of your macros then you may as well go over your protein or fats. With that said, try to come below your daily caloric goals.

I am always below on my calories but go over the protein. On average I'm around 1200-1400 per day. My allowance is 1480.

• TheresaOrtiz3
    TheresaOrtiz3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

define Wayyyy over? I get in 120grams
    ccrdragon wrote: »

They are in line with RDA Minimums...not maximums.

OP don't worry about it really for weight loss it's calories.

My daily allowance is 92 and I eat around 150 but I always stay below my calories. I do not have any medical issues affected by protein consumption. Just arthritis in my ankle. I do exercise (walking and stationary bike).