Body fat caliper

Options
NA1979
NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
How accurate are these, I did the 3 site pinch test and I'm coming in at roughly 10% bf, which I think is inaccurate, what's the margin of error on these?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't trust them much esp if you are new to using them.

If you have experience maybe...and have been shown how to do it correctly.
  • NA1979
    Options
    I've done a lot of research, on how to do it, I don't think I'm doing it wrong, I do think they are inaccurate up to about 5%
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    They can be pretty accurate assuming you are using the method, pinch sites, and formula card provided with your caliper.

I have found that these:
    url4.jpg

Are way more likely to be innacurrate as some of them are bendy and they don't actually grab on to the fat. In other words, especially if you're doing it on yourself, you have GOT to be pinching enough with your fingers. This can be hard to do.

Now these-
    harpenden-skinfold-caliper.jpg

These are slightly painful (okay, maybe more than slightly) but they are much easier to use. And you can't use them on yourself, so there's that.

In any case, if you want, you can post a couple pictures and we can give you a little evaluation. I think it's pretty easy to guestimate within a reasonable accuracy based on pictures.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Wow they look almost industrial! I don't think I'm going to inflict anyone with my pictures!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    A couple of things as someone who has been using one for quite some time:

1. Let someone else measure you. You'll get much more accurate results.
    2. 1 and 3 point measurements are limited, and not nearly as accurate as 7-points.
    3. Practice is important. If you're new, practice every day and track your numbers.
    4. Compare your readings to photos of people in the range you're getting as a good way to tell if you're in the ballpark. Google has tons of these types of comparative photos like this one:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=body+fat+men+photos&biw=1408&bih=692&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYko2nkIXOAhUIRiYKHd1DA2EQsAQIGg#imgrc=VzU1aZasYaeUVM:

5. Get a caliper with a spring loaded mechanism. These take the guesswork out of how hard to pinch.

Calipers CAN be very useful and much more accurate than impedance devices. Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    NA1979 wrote: »
    Wow they look almost industrial! I don't think I'm going to inflict anyone with my pictures!

They're also a couple thousand dollars. LOL

I am a personal trainer so i have my own pair (cheap plastic ones) and some of the gym locations i've trained in have these nice ones. I wouldn't invest in them myself, but it's sooo much easier and accurate. I find myself (and i do this for a living) having to re-pinch and re-pinch just to get a good measurement when i'm using the plastic ones. Some of them you also have to pinch until it "snaps" and these are even more of a pain in the *kitten* to use.

In my opinion, most of these people who want it tested are what i'd guesstimate with eyes anyways, unless they are very overweight in which case they generally aren't up for pinching anyways and we go by circumference measurements.

p.s. i use the Durnin formula. Biceps, triceps, subscapular, and illiac crest.