how much protein do I need when lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• DoctorCheeba
    Options
    I read in a strong lifts article (link below) that when training hard you should aim for 1g per POUND of body weight in protein each day. That would be 189 grams for me. I never come anywhere near that.

Today I am at 90g and I had 2 eggs for breakfast, a burger with cheese for lunch and 6oz steak for dinner!

Yesterday I got to 132g but only because I had 3 scoops of protein powder (18g each).

How do you get in all the protein your supposed to? I do eat dairy (raw, full fat only), nuts, etc... but never seem to get to past 140g.

http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

1g of protein per pound of body weight is the general rule, however this also depends on how much muscle training you are doing. You WILL still build muscle eating less than this! You just won`t be jacked as s**t. If you have a hard time eating your protein, shakes are a great addition to your diet. For me one protein shake is 54g of protein and 230 cal. I prefer whole foods as my source but they are a great, tasty way to add what your missing.

Also the whole egg thing is a misconception, unless you have high blood pressure and cholesterol. The yolk has ALL of the f***ing nutrients! It`s better than any multi-vitamin. Just don`t over due it. I`ll typically eat 2 eggs and 4 egg whites every morning.

I should also point out, dietary cholesterol is unrelated to cholesterol blood levels. Your body produces cholesterol naturally. It`s things like BAD FATS (Saturated) in higher amounts that bump up your blood cholesterol levels. I.E. People who eat terribly have a higher risk.

Everything in moderation.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I read in a strong lifts article (link below) that when training hard you should aim for 1g per POUND of body weight in protein each day. That would be 189 grams for me. I never come anywhere near that.

Today I am at 90g and I had 2 eggs for breakfast, a burger with cheese for lunch and 6oz steak for dinner!

Yesterday I got to 132g but only because I had 3 scoops of protein powder (18g each).

How do you get in all the protein your supposed to? I do eat dairy (raw, full fat only), nuts, etc... but never seem to get to past 140g.

http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

aim for 1g per pound of Lean Body Mass. When im running low on protein, my go to meal is 2 scoops of whey and a cup of greek yogurt,roughly 75g of protein.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and Greek yogirt ... quick amd easy .. .done and done ... I get anywhere between 140-170 grams of protein per day not even trying ... just eating what I like and no protein powder ... I average about 1.5 grams per lb ... I'm 5'2 and 103 lbs. (Small frame 5.5 in wrist) 15.5% bf and am very active and also do a fair amount of strength training ...

EDIT: My diary is open ... I pretty much eat the same thing everyday for convenience ... plus, I buy in bulk to save money ...