Thick Wavy Hair Pixie Cut! Should you or should you not?!

Options
LucyMcd1
LucyMcd1 Posts: 84 Member
Hi! So I was sorta bored, on break at work and I was wondering. If you had thick, wavy, shoulder length hair would you cut it into a pixie? Why or why not? I will be cutting my hair soon to boy short (sort of a pixie) when I get the money. I have that type of hair and I would (and will) just because I want to! Haha would you?

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I've had one. It was hot pink. Hah.
    But seriously, I have really thick, naturally curly/wavy hair. Invest in a flat iron if you haven't already.
  • LucyMcd1
    Options
    I have a really old flat iron I can use xD thanks for the tip.:laugh:
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    I also have naturally thick, wavy hair. Last November I shaved half my head & loved it! Being that short, the curls don't really show, & depending on how long/often you (want to) maintain that style, it'll just grow back thicker (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). If if makes you happy, go for it.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    I too have thick curly hair, I thought about doing this at one short point in my life but decided against it...go for it, it would look great.heat protectant and straightener will definitely be needed!
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love it at first. Then my stylist moved. With a short haircut, you need trims often to keep it looking good. This became a huge problem finding someone who could reliably cut my hair. Had a few really bad cuts.

Otherwise it was awesome. My girls get a pixie every summer.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Never. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It always seems like a good idea. .. Until you have to deal with it. Pixie cuts should be left to the rich and vain, and those in Hollywood with professional stylists. And I'm sorry, they don't look good on anyone overweight.
  • pastryari
    Options
    It always seems like a good idea. .. Until you have to deal with it. Pixie cuts should be left to the rich and vain, and those in Hollywood with professional stylists. And I'm sorry, they don't look good on anyone overweight.

Yeah, I really have to agree with this.

I think you should keep your hair as is, OP. Just my two cents. :flowerforyou:

ETA: If you're just looking for something different, why not try a different color or styling it differently than you normally do?
  • kettleandstring
    Options
    I have thin stranded, densely packed hair, and it naturally does a 1940's kind of wave around my temples when it's longer. So... with that in mind, I have a pixie cut and I absolutely LOVE IT.

IGNORE anyone who says this doesn't look good on someone overweight - I think it's more about your face shape, and a pixie can have small styling differences that will suit you better than you could dream. I get the most compliments about my hair now. I look better with my hair adding height to my forehead, so my bangs are super short, I style product into my hair for some lift, and I have short "sideburns" in front of my ears. Perfect.

Just avoid plastering it to your head. Now -that- rarely looks good.

(my pics are NOT this cut I'm describing - It's even shorter now! I've had this one for about two weeks now).
  • pastryari
    Options
    I have thin stranded, densely packed hair, and it naturally does a 1940's kind of wave around my temples when it's longer. So... with that in mind, I have a pixie cut and I absolutely LOVE IT.

IGNORE anyone who says this doesn't look good on someone overweight - I think it's more about your face shape, and a pixie can have small styling differences that will suit you better than you could dream. I get the most compliments about my hair now. I look better with my hair adding height to my forehead, so my bangs are super short, I style product into my hair for some lift, and I have short "sideburns" in front of my ears. Perfect.

Just avoid plastering it to your head. Now -that- rarely looks good.

(my pics are NOT this cut I'm describing - It's even shorter now! I've had this one for about two weeks now).

Or just accept that it's a differing opinion? Someone isn't wrong for their opinion on what looks good on whichever person, just their opinion. She did ask...
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Everytime a woman with long hair cuts it short, someone kicks a kitten. A pixie cut? 2 kittens. Do you hate kittens? I'm betting not!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Very true. It looks best on tiny Asian women with small features. Normal wright people don't even pull it off that well, it has to be very, very tiny women. No fat, no muscle, and preferably short.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    hell no, you don't want to do that! My hair is thick and wavy and it poofs into a frizzy mess when it's short. Will.never.do.again.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Never. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever.

Pretty much this.

I got one when I was in grade school. It was really cute at first, but when it started to grow out, it was a curly, fluffy, out of control nightmare. If you can style it and what not, it might be okay... being 12 years old and having no access to hair care products, I didn't do much styling. I don't think I'd ever get one again though.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Some people can pull it off and some people can't.
    I say if you really want it, go for it. You'll never know unless you try.
    And if you end up hating it.... Well, it's just hair and it'll grow back.

Make sure to donate your hair when you do decide on a cut. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've had the pixie cut and it's a nightmare to style, especially as it grows. I have naturally thick, wavy hair. I would only go shoulder length again. Too much of a PITA.

And the pixie/overweight comment is because hair length is slimming. Any stylist will tell you that.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have thick, wavy hair and a pixie cut. I LOVE IT. It's been that way for a few years now. I started growing it back out last year, but then remembered that I hate having long hair. (And my boyfriend kept not-so-subtly mentioning that he loved how stylish it was and how cute I looked when it was short.) I can't imagine ever having long hair again.

Also, I've had a totally different experience to the girls on here saying that it's difficult to style short hair. I find it a million times easier to look chic with short hair. But then again, I'm *kitten* at styling long hair, and since it was thick/wavy/frizzy, it pretty much always looked like a mess when it was long.

One piece of advice though: make clear to your stylist that you don't want just a "guy cut". Maybe even request a stylist who is experienced with doing pixie cuts. A lot of stylists have little experience with cutting short hair on women who aren't 60+ years old and will end up giving you the same haircut they give men. Note cute.

Finally, in reference to the overweight-women-shouldn't-have-short-hair thing, I think this article is fantastic:

http://www.xojane.com/beauty/pixie-cut-doesnt-make-you-look

IMHO, she looks stylish and adorable with the pixie. It suits her amazingly and I think she's k!ck@*kitten* for not letting people shame her into a style she didn't like.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just got a pixie cut. (Not the first time I've had one, either.) I have wavy, thick hair, and a lot of it. It's easier to manage for me, less flat ironing because it's too short to even wave for the most part.

It is a really difficult haircut to pull off, though, imo. Face shapes, style... you have to really suit it.

Just to show pixies and short cuts are more than possible with wavy hair....

Styled.
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/553934_4758105438638_1981634072_n.jpg

Here's an older picture with a pixie grown out a bit, flat ironed.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/190240_1904489300018_3128446_n.jpg
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    A million times no, to be honest.
  • LucyMcd1
    Options
    I won't get mad or something for any of them, but I loved the article. And yes I asked for your opinions, but guess what? I really won't change my mind. Thanks for all of the answers!!! :)