Heat = lack of hunger?

Options
BigTandthesquatters
BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I think I figured it out. The last few days I have been lucky to get in 1300 of my allotted 2200 hundred calories. It has been very hot where I live and I found myself not hungry at all. I think it is because instead of eating I have been drinking tons of water, and iced green tea. So between the fullness and the caffeine I wasn't eating. Just curious if this seems logical and/or has happened to anyone else. I am not worried about the calorie deficit as I still weigh over 400lbs so I do believe I have plenty of calories to spare.

Replies

• YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes this is so true!!! When it is hot you do drink more. I do anyway. I already drink a lot of water so now that it is in the upper 90's with heat index in the 100's I'm really downing the water. The more liquid the fuller you fill. I also drink water when I'm eating to help fill me up so I won't eat as much food. Lol. Good luck and stay cool!!
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've just had strawberries with extra thick double cream as it's too hot for food and I wanted to bump my calories.....it was bloody delicious
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yeah you'll be fine. You could always get some while milk to drink to bump your calories up a bit though
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    After a 10mile bike ride home in FLA heat - I never feet like eating. I mean, I don't really feel like doing anything but if I didn't convince myself too sometimes I just wouldn't. On the other hand, on my rides TO work I don't eat before and it's still super hot even in the morning.. I am ready to eat my large breakfast right away.

if you feel good, not weak or sluggish - My opinion says don't eat additional.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Same here. It's been 99 - 102 degrees for the past 2 weeks and nothing sounds good. Lots of water, iced tea, and water-dense fruit are about the only things appealing to me right now.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes and no. I'm adapted to heat so it takes 100 degree days to kill my appetite.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes and no...I tend to eat less and have less appetite when it's hot out and I eat lighter...I enjoy salads more or a light fish with a quinoa salad or something along those lines...but I've never had a 1300 calorie low appetite...and I usually really want some ice cold beers.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I wish heat killed my hunger. It just makes me want ice cream more than I usually do.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I think I figured it out. The last few days I have been lucky to get in 1300 of my allotted 2200 hundred calories. It has been very hot where I live and I found myself not hungry at all. I think it is because instead of eating I have been drinking tons of water, and iced green tea. So between the fullness and the caffeine I wasn't eating. Just curious if this seems logical and/or has happened to anyone else. I am not worried about the calorie deficit as I still weigh over 400lbs so I do believe I have plenty of calories to spare.

My weight loss started last summer. You could say it was by accident. We were eating in the garden most of the time. We'd pull something out of the oven, take it out into the hot sun, and I just couldn't do it. I'd have this hot meal in my lap with the sun beating down on me, break into a sweat, and give up on eating. Eventually I started losing some weight, and decided that I should take advantage of the momentum.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    no
  • kelsey_frame_666
    kelsey_frame_666 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Also the heat makes me feel really bloated out especially if I'm out walking. We've had a couple good days here (I'm from Scotland). I do tend to force myself to eat tho coz at night I tend to get mega hungry and end up binging. Protein helps me.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am in Thailand my appetite is substantially reduced. I can't even bring myself to drink wine while I am there. I always come home weighing less.