Not sure what size I am

Options
I started working out last month and I was sz 16. Today I put on a sz 12 and felt a lil snug but still comfortable. I also wear my same sz 16 and they too fell the same as before. I do not know what size I really am. Who else in same boat?

Replies

• samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is ONE size. It depends on the brand and the material. I've worn anything from an 8 to a 13. The better way to track is by measuring yourself. It doesn't matter what size pants you are because you'll still be x-amount of inches around the waist or hips regardless of wearing a size 16 or a size 12.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yeah, size charts are different brand to brand too, and a lot of times I don't match up with the chest/waist/hip sizing at all. I know the last time I was looking at fitted dresses - I'd be an XL on top, XS waist, and between a M and L hip. Whatever that makes me...

And I just bought two pairs of jeans the other day, one of which was a size 6 and the other was a 14. Go figure.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Pick your favorite store or brand and go try on every size. Literally, that's the only way you will know. Depending on the brand, cut, style, etc. the size will vary greatly. I wear any size from a 4 to an 11. It's ridiculous but you just have to use trial and error. Try doing your measurements so you can track inches lost!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It is not us! We are one size at a time but the clothes have different numbers on them!

I have at least FOUR different sizes of jeans that fit right now. I also had 3 the same size but one was too big, one too small and the third fit fine. Sounds like a fairy tale! lol...
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of picking one brand & style of jeans and using them. As you lose, try on the same brand, style and color (trust me, different colors can vary in size because of the dye) in smaller sizes & then you can tell when you're dropped one size. ...at least in that brand.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of picking one brand & style of jeans and using them. As you lose, try on the same brand, style and color (trust me, different colors can vary in size because of the dye) in smaller sizes & then you can tell when you're dropped one size. ...at least in that brand.

Even that doesn't work half the time. I have two pairs of identical pants in different colors. Same size, same brand, same model. One is at least an inch smaller than the other.

I've been told that part of the problem is that they cut fabric in gigantic stacks, so when it gets cut, the pieces on the top of the pile end up a little bigger than the ones on the bottom due to the way the stack compresses on the edges. Which explains a lot. Because I've run into the same thing in the fitting room - I can try on two supposedly identical pairs of jeans and they don't fit the same.

My recommendation is to not worry about your "size" - just take measurements to track your progress.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I started wearing a 22 the last time I went to buy jeans and they fit well. Not too tight, not too loose....but I JUST got into a pair of jeans that I've had in the closet for over a year that are a size 24. They're tighter than my 22's, but I can wear them if I need to now. Sizes are different by brand, style, fabric, etc
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Many pant sizes show a lower number than they really are to make the wearer more likely to buy the brand that shows the smaller number.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedbk. At least I know I am not crazy.