Lower leg pain

Options
Hi, In the past few weeks I went from walking on my Treadclimber to walking/jogging outside. I've noticed that my shins are sore and even feel bruised when I touch them, though there is no visible bruising.
Will this go away with time if I continue to walk/jog my route outside or is there something I can do to prevent this from happening?

Replies

• oldbitty
    oldbitty Posts: 12
    Options
    my guess would be you have shin splints. i'm former military and it is relatively common for new soldiers to get them. happens when you start running more than you are used to. they do go away, but can really take time. motrin helps. start by lowering your workout on your legs, but don't stop. ice when you can and a few times a day. compression also helps. you should be better in a week. once you start to feel better, ease your work out back up.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    this is a matter of form....strike on the ball of you foot
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    this is a matter of form....strike on the ball of you foot

I have previously avoided jogging because I feel like I don't place my feet right but I have flat feet and never feel like they are hitting quite right.
  • sandyswims
    sandyswims Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Shin splints for sure. Look into getting new shoes, but go to a running store where they put you on a treadmill and videotape your form. You probably need something with strong arch support. Helped me tremendously. In the meantime you should ice your shins after running. An easy way to do this is freeze water in paper/styrofoam cups. After your run, grab one, peel it down and rub the ice directly up and down your shins.
  • jennpaulson
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions : )
  • jennpaulson
    Options
    Shin splints for sure. Look into getting new shoes, but go to a running store where they put you on a treadmill and videotape your form. You probably need something with strong arch support. Helped me tremendously. In the meantime you should ice your shins after running. An easy way to do this is freeze water in paper/styrofoam cups. After your run, grab one, peel it down and rub the ice directly up and down your shins.

Icing right after walking/jogging today definitely helped! My shins weren't tender to the touch the rest of the day like they have been lately. Thank you so much! I got the location for the closest Road Runner Sports store and it's only 30 minutes away, so I'm going to try and go next weekend.