Corn on the cob

Options
This is one of those foods where I'm having trouble determining calories. (I add no-calorie butter spray, or nothing at all, so that's not a factor). MFP's entries seem to vary quite a bit. I know the size of the cob and type of corn matters, and to get the most accurate count I COULD cut it off the cob and weigh it, but what fun is that :smile: ?

I wouldn't worry too much, but this is THE season and I could very well overdo it if I'm not a bit careful. How do you all log corn on the cob?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How many calories difference are you talking about? 50? Just log the higher amount.
  • XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Weigh it before eating, then weigh the cob after. That's what I do with bone-in chicken.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    XnRGrandpa wrote: »
    Weigh it before eating, then weigh the cob after. That's what I do with bone-in chicken.

^^ This. Might seem tedious, but it really doesn't take long to throw the cob on the scale.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    No calorie butter spray. Be careful with that stuff. All that means is that one spray has < 0.5 calories. If you use more than one spray you could be adding quite a few calories.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You could always weigh the corn before you eat it and then weigh it again after you eat it off the cob. The net would be how much you ate and then you can calculate the calorie consumption.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I weight it, (slather it in butter) eat the corn, weigh the cob to work out the weight of what I've eaten and then log it as sweetcorn.
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How many calories difference are you talking about? 50? Just log the higher amount.

This is the way to go. It's very weary to try to have every bit measured accurately. I mean, I know it's the way many do it, but for me, after losing 80 lbs with MFP with approximated values, it's a no-brainer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Weigh the cob after. (I'm weird and prefer it off the cob so cut it off, but that's what I'd do if I liked eating it off the cob.)

I also cook it-- oh so briefly for fresh corn--with just a bit of real butter.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This is the way to go. It's very weary to try to have every bit measured accurately. I mean, I know it's the way many do it, but for me, after losing 80 lbs with MFP with approximated values, it's a no-brainer.

Yeah, that's my overall theory of everything MFP. I overestimate food, underestimate exercise. But this is my sweet corn addiction we're talking about. It's no time to play games. I need to strive for a maximum intake here. haha
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    XnRGrandpa wrote: »

Literally so obvious, yet I never thought of it. Thanks everyone.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Medium 6.75-7.5" long ear of white or yellow corn (same nutritional value for both)