HELP! My Closet Can't Take It Anymore!

Options
fara180
fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
My closet is literally bursting at the seams but I can't bring myself to get rid of my "fat clothes." Granted, I haven't lost that much weight- went from size 18/20 to size ~16 (some 18's still). The problem is that I own approximately 26 pairs of jeans...and the majority of them are size 18/20 and too big for me now. They are taking up so much room in my closet but I'm scared to get rid of them, donate them or sell them in case I gain the weight back. How can I convince myself that I don't need to hold onto these massive pieces of fabric....Any help would be appreciated- pictured below is my closet as well as the clothes that I want to put in the closet but don't currently fit.

148pwdx.jpg

Replies

• ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't own nearly as many clothes as you, but I have a similar problem. I've put my ill-fitting clothes in a bag and I'm reluctant to send them off to charity.

Really, they represent emotional baggage (I think). I've done the kind of thing before with other things at times of difficult transition in my life. Mementos from failed relationships, paperwork from soul-crushing jobs . . . Getting rid of these things feels like confronting all that STUFF. If I keep it and ignore it, I don't have to deal with the pain tied up in it.

Or maybe its just a safety net. If I fail again, at least I don't have to deal with shopping for bigger clothes. I should be at my target weight by now, I started this last year.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You could put the big clothes in bags and get them out of your closet. Then you can give them away when you feel more secure about your weight loss (or even lose MORE!)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm boxing mine up as I shrink out of them. I intend to keep one pair of jeans and one shirt that will remind me how far I've come, but eventually all the outsized stuff will be donated as long as it's still in decent condition. Maybe you could go through them and make sure they aren't still somewhat wearable and then wash and box them up with a description of what's in them and when you go down another size get rid of them. If there's a consignment shop near you it might be a plus if you could use the money to buy new smaller clothes?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Um, well you need to at least get them out of your closet lol... to make room for all the new stuff you're gonna get duh...

Stick them in a box; mark the box "Goodwill" or whatever charity you'll give them to; put them in a storage area of your home. As soon as the mood strikes, load 'em up into the car and get rid of them.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :love: get them out & donate them....the plan is to go smaller in sizes...not hold on to the past.....I've gotten rid of all my " bigger" sizes to Goodwill.. someone , somewhere, will appreciate the sizes more than being stuck & dusty in my closet...especially, if you are tight on space...

Then the fun begins...SHOPPING FOR SMALLER SIZES!!????????????????...congrats
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no plans to gain my weight back. Get rid of them otherwise you're just giving yourself encouragement to fail.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No used clothing shops in my area, but fortunately I know how to sew. Most of the clothes are out of my closet sitting in the sewing room waiting for alterations! Today is the last work day before a one month vacation. :bigsmile:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that by keeping the clothes that have gotten to big, can make you feel like it's okay to gain the weight back. I could see myself thinking something along the lines of "I'm gaining weight, but at least I won't have to buy new clothes." Etc.. I look at it as giving yourself a reason as to why its "okay" to slip back into bad habits.

Personally I want my mental thoughts to be along the lines of "I can't gain weight, because then non of my clothes will fit." So I have plans to keep 1 pair of jeans until I get closer to goal, but only for a success photo. After even that pair will be donated to goodwill.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I get it, but hanging onto them is sort of like giving yourself permission to someday fit them again. I took my favorite top in by about four or five inches. Those are inches I'm never gaining back, or I'm going to have to toss my fave top. :) Clean out your closet!
  • brnidsusn
    brnidsusn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I have way too many clothes. most too big and many never worn. .... and no money to buy more and refuse until I find the courage to purge my closet. plus I am kicking myself for donating all my too snug/small clothes last year in an effort to purge/improve self esteem ( the whole not having clothes that didn't fit, the whole dress & love your present self) I could really use them right now! my clothes are falling off my body and I feel schlumpy. (yes I made t hat word up) too hot & humid for extra fabric
  • V3XES
    V3XES Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We had a life cleansing policy when we moved home twice in the last 4 years........If you haven't worn it in a year, it gets BINNED....
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We had a life cleansing policy when we moved home twice in the last 4 years........If you haven't worn it in a year, it gets BINNED....

Good policy.

I sold all my fat clothes on a local auction site to pay for my new smaller sized clothes, and have given some to charity. Keeping them would admit the possibility of defeat. And that is not acceptable....and just isn't going to happen.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I also have lost 17 pounds.
    I have cleaned out my closet and put it in a bag in the garage.

Plan to take it to donate for the Homeless.
    I figure in my garage, it is out of sight and then I will try harder to keep this weight off.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no plans to gain my weight back. Get rid of them otherwise you're just giving yourself encouragement to fail.

This! I've always heard that keeping your fat clothes is basically giving yourself permission to get fat again. With that in mind I do keep one of my largest pants to do a final "after" pic, and I've kept most of my shirts for nightshirts now (I used to wear all Men's 2XLT tee shirts so it works :laugh:) but generally as I shrink I cull the wardrobe and add my "wow it fits now!" items to my regular rotation.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I threw out or donated my "fat" clothes. I don't ever want to fit into them again. This helps me psychologically.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. You will look so much better in something that fits you better. It will motivate you further to keep the weight off and lose more.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If it helps you at all you can take them to a local consignment shop, we have one specifically for plus sizes, then you will make a little money back on the items in order to take the cash you earn to buy yourself "new" smaller stuff either at the same store or at a store with smaller sizes depending on what stage you're at. I found that by making some back at least I wasn't "wasting" the money I'd spent (in my mind) and it has helped.
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I've gone from wearing a size 12 to a size 6, and I have lots of sizes in between. This weekend I'm going to put anything that is too big (even my 8's) into plastic storage bins and putting them in my shed. From there, I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to let go of them in the future. I'm afraid of gaining weight again too.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have gained and lost many times. I always kept my clothes before. My closet was packed with clothes from 4's - 14's. I am currently in a 6/8. I think what I found before was that as I gained I had clothes to wear so I did not stress over it. This time they are all gone and if I go into my closet one day and my clothes won't fit, I will know it is time to get remotivated! Not time to pull out my fat pants.

Ditch them and believe in yourself! You can do this!!
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yeah you dont have my probs. G on amazon they have loads of sollutions