Confused and Stressed

Options
greta7611
greta7611 Posts: 13 Member
Two days ago I decided to try counting calories after doing low carbing for two weeks, not seeing any results to speak of, and just being tired of the foods I was eating. I guess I just want to know what to expect. I'm 5'5 , 207 pounds and would like to get down to 140-145. I am trying to do some kind of activity every day and eating around 1400 calories a day. I just need someone to tell me that if I stick with this, it will work and that low carb is great for some but counting calories works as well.
I suppose I need a little encouragement and would love to hear your success stories.

Replies

• cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Good for you! MFP works but it's different for each person. Personally, I never give up my carbs. I just try to eat within the daily calories goal, but some days are below and some days are over. Whenever I log activity, I usually eat my calories (at least some) back, otherwise I get hungry and cranky. BTW, I'm 5' 4 1/2" and started at 196. My goal is same as yours. Now I'm at 187. It's been slow and steady for me, which is the way I want it!

You've got this!
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There is a whole section of success stories. Try reading some for inspiration.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, calorie counting works. I'm your height, older (60) and have lost 63 pounds. I started a bit lighter (183), but my goal (and current weight) is also a bit lower (120).

Two weeks is probably not enough time to see results, though: Try to wrap your head around the idea of working toward a healthy way of eating that will gradually move you to your goal weight, at a safe, slow, achievable, sustainable pace. It took me about 10-12 months to lose 63 pounds - which is on the fast side, actually - but I've now kept at my goal weight for around 5 months since.

Especially good success threads as motivators, IMO:

PHOTO ONLY SUCCESS STORIES!

What's Your Most Recent NSV

The second one is about Non-Scale Victories - the little (or big) successes along the way, other than purely lost weight. These are motivators that help us keep going by providing results even before "the ultimate goal".
  • lindajeank1
    lindajeank1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is probably the best when you think about it. You can fit anything into your day within reason. I was on WW and free fruits and vegetables but they started Smart Points still free fruits and veggies but if you wanted a simple candy bar... it took away all your points for that day before you even had dinner. So with calories say a candy bar is 250 cals, If you really want it then work it in. Eating balanced is the best way to lose weight and stay healthy or get healthy. Just stay within your calorie allotment for the day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works. You can count calories AND go low carb(if you want to), but you will only know if you are in a calorie deficit if you count your calories.