back on the wagon

Options
wildtxn
wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
well, here we go again.....

About a year ago i was doing great and cycling about 200 miles a week and eating right. After a 3 month spell between work and pleasure and being either on vacation or business trips about 9 times I fell out of the groove and back into old habits. Previously I had dropped from my all time high of almost 290 down to around 240 range. After almost a year, I've found myself back at 275 and finally got up the motivation to start again.

My biggest problem has almost always been eating and not paying attention to what or how much I'm consuming. I finally got back to eating healthier and started meal prepping again for the work week and in bulk so that I don't have to worry about not being prepared. I tend to eat a lot of chicken, fish, brown rice, broccoli and eggs but try to keep quite a few different recipes prepared for variation and I'm eating about 6x a day. I am very minimal on sugar intake and average between 1800-2000 calories a day right now.

Decided against doing as much cardio work this time just because it's monotonous sometimes even though I enjoy cycling and I seem to have lost a lot of the overall strength I had when I wore a uniform and was doing PT on a daily basis. I'm just purely focusing on strength training this time around and spend roughly 45min-1hour in the gym four times a week at the moment but I don't give myself more than 60s rest between each set or excercise and get a pretty good cardio workout in the process and might do 10-15min on a cardio machine a few times a week just for overall cardiovascular reasons.

I'm in my early 40s and am absolutely going to be under 200 again. My diary is open, feel free to add me for support or if you're in the same boat, need motivation or recipe ideas. (I'm a hell of a cook ;P)

Replies

• lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I like to make my own recipes too. I'll send you an add request.
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey bro. I'm in the same boat over the past 8 years I've lost 63 and 71 at different times, now back at 325. I have set my goal of about 30 min of cardio 3-5 times a week and go from there.

If you want a great cardio training that also is a great strength training see if you have a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school in your area. I played college football and I can tell you I have never has as intense of a workout as when I was in a really competitive BJJ school doing open mat training for an hour twice a week.

When I get back down to 280 or so I am going back to the BJJ gym, there's noting like it but I would die in there right now.
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've done pretty well in the past and have quite a few years as active duty army under my belt. I just let it get away from me whether it be from injury or just sheer laziness over the years. I like martial arts and have a few years of that under my belt as well but I also know I have to do what's convenient for me and what's going to stick at the moment. Since I still work on a military base and have access to a massive gym right across the street for no charge, that's currently my best option not to mention the strength training will serve me better over time as I progress. I will still get my cardio in. Feel free to add me if you need a motivator.
  • nancy1465
    nancy1465 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi...we all have our set backs hun. I lost 85lbs in 6 months and even shot a tv commercial 25 yrs ago and then had two MORE kids back to back and over the yrs gained everything back and more. I have been here 5 weeks now and love this program. I want to lose 100 lbs and I AM going to do it this time. My problem is I have bad knees and hard to exercise and I LOVE my junk food. But there is alot of support here and we can all work together and get to our goals. Good luck and have a great weekend.
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Free gym, gotta love that.
  • kmidash
    kmidash Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi ya, sent a friend request. Same story different person- lost a bunch kept it off, creeps back up.... This staying healthy thing as we become wiser (lol) can be a challenge- one that I feel lucky to have. I used to be a bit of a gym rat but kids, work & life make it tough. My primary exercise is hiking with the pup, yoga and a bit of strength training. good luck and look forward to seeing your posts!