Is sitting the new smoking?

Options
mgalsf12
mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
There is a very interesting article in Runner's World magazine this month called, "Is sitting the new smoking?" Check it out if you get a chance!

Replies

• BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've read many, many articles about this topic. Not good news when I HAVE to sit down for 12 hours a day at my job :(
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is this serious?
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Is this serious?

Yes, there's a big move to standing desks because sitting is really horrible for us in the quantities that our jobs demand
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Is this serious?

Yes, there's a big move to standing desks because sitting is really horrible for us in the quantities that our jobs demand

Well, who knew sitting down was the same as inhaling toxic and addictive substances. I thought sitting down was part of "life"...and smoking was a bad decision that you didn't need to start...but...okay.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Is this serious?

Well, who knew sitting down was the same as inhaling toxic and addictive substances. I thought sitting down was part of "life"...and smoking was a bad decision that you didn't need to start...but...okay.

^^^ this.

Also, am I addicted to sitting or is my rear just too darn comfy? Is my couch manufacturer part of some big conspiracy, and if so, how deep does that conspiracy go?

HBJkPmn.jpg
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Do I need to start peeing standing up because my aim is awful?!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Laugh about it if you want but there's been medical research on this for years. I'll trust the scientists and doctors.
  • Otterluv
    Options

Oh, then you'll be doing squats!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Laugh about it if you want but there's been medical research on this for years. I'll trust the scientists and doctors.

Let me be clear about my stand on this. I think that we do sit too much and I think that the standing desks are an interesting idea and hell, I think I'd want to do it at home.

BUT....I would never equate smoking to sitting. To me, that's just exaggerating a valid point to an extent that it becomes ridiculous. Smoking is not like sitting and sitting is not like smoking. -.-
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I chased a very active toddler all day, ran 4 miles + stairs and did strong lifts 5x5 today. Am I sitting comfortably reading this forum thread on the Internet before I go off to bed? You'd better believe it. Healthier than smoking toxic poisonous chemicals? Yeah I'd like to think so...
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Sources, please.
  • Otterluv
    Options

Cite sources, please?

Also, in reference to sitting, please see: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1042954-moderation-is-a-basic-life-skill

Of course if all you do is sit, it's not so great. But comparing it to an addictive substance like nicotine, the industry of which has a very sketchy past, is silly.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options

Oh, then you'll be doing squats!

Squats for the win!!!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The longer I've had an office job the bigger my *kitten* got. I'm pretty sure I need to sue my employer for making me fat.

laughter_zps63f4b061.gif

I couldn't help myself. But I have seen those workstations with standing desks (I had one of those once), they're nice. I don't know if standing is much better. I liked my adjustable desk because I could switch whenever I got uncomfortable. Add a treadmill to that and my salary might go back down to minimum wage! Again, I am getting off track. It might be difficult to get any actual administrative type work done while walking on a treadmill.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Let me be clear about my stand on this. I think that we do sit too much and I think that the standing desks are an interesting idea and hell, I think I'd want to do it at home.

BUT....I would never equate smoking to sitting. To me, that's just exaggerating a valid point to an extent that it becomes ridiculous. Smoking is not like sitting and sitting is not like smoking. -.-
    Like so many things, I'm sure it is all about context, which will get ignored by the scare mongers.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    637522710_1105849.gif
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    ergo.human.cornell.edu/dea3250notes/sitting.htm
    ergo.human.cornell.edu/CUESitStand.html‎
    Sitting risks: How harmful is too much sitting? - MayoClinic.com

www.mayoclinic.com › ... › Adult health › Expert Answers‎

Sitting at your desk for six hours a day dramatically increases the ...

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/.../Sitting-desk-hours-day-dramatically-increas...
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

How do I drive?
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

THIS!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Is this serious?

I surmise this movement won't get far considering that it would create problems for employers complying with the ADAA.

But hey... if food can be an addiction... why not sitting? /sarcasm