Eating healthy = lose of energy?? Help!

Hey so I just started back eating healthy again in my attempt to lose much needed weight. It's honestly day one and I've done great. I'm at the end of my day and I now feel like my blood sugar is crashing and I have no energy. Feels terrible!!! I had more energy eating junk food. Is this just my body going into shock from not having junk food all day?? Sorry guys it's been a while since I've done this and I've never had this much weight to lose before...

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Did you eat enough to fuel your body for the day?

Did "eat healthy" include no caffeine?

Is it possible you are dehydrated?

Did you get enough sleep last night?
  • plainjane1990
    plainjane1990 Posts: 8 Member
    I assume so? Honestly I don't know. I met my calorie goal for the day and didn't go over or under.

I did have a cup of black coffee today.

I had 60oz of water so shouldn't be.

Probably not....
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    More information is needed. How much of a deficit are you going for? How much of a calorie change is this from what you were eating before? Were you eating a bunch of sugar and carbs and suddenly went low carb?

Certainly any sudden drastic change is going to present a period of adjustment. Since you brought up crashing blood sugar, do you have diabetes? If so, are you on meds, and have they been adjusted for your reduced calorie diet?
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    I had this and it was definitely the lack of sugar/carbs compared to what I was used to. I just cut them down a bit by bit and now I have more energy than I ever had before. If you persevere I think it will only take a couple of weeks to get used to.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2016
    Suck it up it will pass as your education on fuel grows.Your on day one of many for success the ups and downs are a learning experience to find your own personal TDEE.. Good luck
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Lots of missing information here.

What are your current stats? How much weight are you trying to lose, and what do you have your calorie deficit set for?

It seems so many people think that "eating healthy" means eating very little food. The truth is that you can eat whatever you want - just less of it - and you'll lose weight.
  • plainjane1990
    I'm not diabetic and I'm not on meds. My current calorie goal is 1350 a day which is a drastic difference than before. I was eating well over 2,000 calories a day. A lot of carbs, sugar, and processed foods. I need to lose 100+ pounds. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I'm not diabetic and I'm not on meds. My current calorie goal is 1350 a day which is a drastic difference than before. I was eating well over 2,000 calories a day. A lot of carbs, sugar, and processed foods. I need to lose 100+ pounds. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Well this is the issue. You cut your calorie intake in half (I'm guessing since you were eating well over 2000 calories, it was actually closer to 3000).

I would suggest cutting back gradually, maybe 100 calories a day until you get to the 1300-1400 range. Should help your body adapt.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, that's why. You're supposed to cut your calories by about 20% or so - enough of a cut to make a difference but not too drastic so that you are able to keep it up and have enough energy.

Try this calculator see what calorie count you get. (you'll need to change the numbers) That's your TDEE - what you burn in a day. Then subtract about 250-350 from that number.

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=44&g=female&lbs=135&in=66&act=1.375&bf=&f=1
  • plainjane1990
    That is great information! Thank you guys for your help!