A recent mummy needing advice

Hi I'm after some advice I've recently have a baby 2 months ago and I've just started to steadily get active again but I'm just wondering how many calories I should be having a day of I'm still breastfeeding!
Thanks in advance
Xx

Replies

• lista10
    lista10 Posts: 73 Member
    They say like 200 but, like eat things like oats and such to help build milk supply. I was in your boat a few years ago and I just had to wait till my baby was done breastfeeding cause I was losing milk supply if I worked out. But I know everyone is different just see what you can handle. Also you can do walking and eating clean as you breastfeed your burning calories so make sure not to go over on calories as I did and had to lose a lot of weight and I'm still trying to. Sorry I hope that helps out maybe a little. Again I'm no expert I did what helped me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    lista10 wrote: »
    They say like 200 but, like eat things like oats and such to help build milk supply. I was in your boat a few years ago and I just had to wait till my baby was done breastfeeding cause I was losing milk supply if I worked out. But I know everyone is different just see what you can handle. Also you can do walking and eating clean as you breastfeed your burning calories so make sure not to go over on calories as I did and had to lose a lot of weight and I'm still trying to. Sorry I hope that helps out maybe a little. Again I'm no expert I did what helped me.

I answered on your other thread

+500 calories for a 3-6 month exclusive breastfeeder

I have never heard that oats help build milk supply...sufficient calories, wide ranging nutritious diet, adequate hydration, skin to skin and demand builds milk supply

This poster is right that it works for different people differently, also for different babies for some reason (I lost weight without trying with son, and lost nothing with daughter).

Walking is also great advice

Eating clean doesn't mean anything
  • Preet2drop100nMore
    Preet2drop100nMore Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2016
    I agree with Lisa.
    Eat oats and rice to keep your milk supply.
    I recently had a baby too and was frustrated with the extra pounds I put on...on top of my extra pounds
    As sue mentions: walking it great
    Simple evening or morning walks with you baby is a great start.
    I started walking today. I feel the BURN.

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    lista10 wrote: »

I answered on your other thread

+500 calories for a 3-6 month exclusive breastfeeder

I have never heard that oats help build milk supply...sufficient calories, wide ranging nutritious diet, adequate hydration, skin to skin and demand builds milk supply

This poster is right that it works for different people differently, also for different babies for some reason (I lost weight without trying with son, and lost nothing with daughter).

Walking is also great advice

Eating clean doesn't mean anything

Exactly what I was going to say. But as another poster said watch your milk supply. I did Weight Watchers after having both of my babies but they put my calories too low even on breast feeding plan. I had to bump them up until my supply came back.

Also with my first daughter I did stroller fit once she got old enough for a jogging stroller. It was a good way to meet other new moms, get out of the house, but not have to leave my baby while working out.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Kellymom.com is an excellent resource for this topic. I found anything under 1500 cal to affect supply- especially if I did any exercising. Walking a lot and carrying baby while doing so is excellent for both of you. Oats and a beer in the evening are good for supply. Fenugreek is a supplement for supply- usually used in teas one can get at the groceries here in the States. If you're in the UK, you might check the pharmacy (Boots?) if they don't carry these teas in the grocery.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I lost 90 lbs while bfing my 1 year old so it can be done!

If you're exclusively nursing, I'd eat an extra 500 calories a day to start and see how that goes for a few weeks. Try to aim for just 1 lb a week of weight loss unless you are obese. Weigh and log all your food because it's important you're eating enough but not too much! Get exercise when you can and eat back at least half of your exercise calories. Eat enough protein!! Very important when bfing and something I learned the hard way earlier in my weight loss when I wasn't getting enough.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Also, if you notice a dip in supply, there are alot of lactogenic foods that can help.

First and formost, make sure you are drinking ALOT, especially if your exercizing.

Then to increase supply, if you need it, try oats, beer (its the hops, so even alcohol free beer iv you want), fenugreek seed, alfalfa, blessed thistle, red clover, and/or brewers yeast.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    sleepyhero wrote: »
    Work hard, don't give up. my friend was ready to give up half way to weight loss, but this (redacted) helped him, and of course, training in the gym =)

^^this is not only spam, but now it's getting into dangerous territory. Suggesting a weight loss product to a breastfeeding mother is just shameful.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    When I was nursing, I did a couple of calculations:
    I calculated the calories in a roughly equivalent amount of formula to what I was pumping, and figured breastmilk had to have at least that many calories.
    I also took my baby's weight gain, assumed that all the weight she gained was coming from calories in my breastmilk, and did math that way.

Either way? My baby was GETTING over 600 calories a day during the time I did the math. 100% of that manufactured for her by my body out of what I was eating.
    I was ravenous, I didn't count calories at all, and the weight dropped off. I would find mself in front of the fridge eating meat and eggs. I got down to my lowest adult weight.

Tip: make sure your pelvic ligaments have stiffed back up before you try anything too strenuous or high-impact. Not sure how long it takes, but I did too much too soon and it was no fun whatsoever.