Starting A Sugar Detox Today - Looking for encouragement

Options
Yesterday I finally broke down and decided I've had enough. It's time for me to break my addiction to sugar. I'm horribly addicted.

One small candy bar will send me on a binge that results in a major stomach ache later. When you factor in that I have no gall bladder, it spells trouble for my body and my health. I'm tired of being controlled by food. It's time to live to eat, not eat to live.

So, here's my plan:

For the next 30 days I will:
1) Eat as much fruit/veggies as I want

2) Stick to my daily calorie allotment

3) Only eat products that have less than 10g of sugar per serving (I realize how impossible it is to cut sugar out completely, so this is what works FOR ME)

4) NOT GIVE UP. This is just the beginning. On day 31 the only thing that will change is that I've accomplished my goal.

Any and all advice is welcome. I'm scared in part because I've done this before and had withdrawal. I was sick for about a week. Why oh why did I go back?

Anyhow, here I go!!!

Replies

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You might have a problem with less than 10g if sugar per serve if you want to eat fruit and veg....all foods have carbs, carbs=sugar.
  • Jeandre29
    Jeandre29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You should read the book Pure, White and Deadly xx
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Apples, bananas, and grapes have 14-19 grams of sugar in a serving. A Krispy Kreme donut has 10 grams of sugar. Are you sure you aren't just "addicted" to tasty foods, rather than sugar?

Very good point.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Apples, bananas, and grapes have 14-19 grams of sugar in a serving. A Krispy Kreme donut has 10 grams of sugar. Are you sure you aren't just "addicted" to tasty foods, rather than sugar?

Truth.

Krispy Kreme filled doughnut: Apple Filled Cinnamon Sugar Coated - 13g. sugar
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/foods-from-krispy-kreme/6714/2

Grapes, red or green (European type, such as Thompson seedless), raw (1 cup) - 23.4g. sugar
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1920/2
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein and fat intake. Protein and fat will keep you satiated. Take the MFP protein and fat goals as minimums and achieve them every day. Track your fiber instead of sugar (you are already tracking carbs, right?) and try to reach your fiber goals as well.
  • BreakinChains
    BreakinChains Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No. You're experiencing cravings, not sugar addiction. If you need to cut back on satisfying treats for a while then okay, but you may want to also consider moderation. Good luck with finding a method that works for you.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-016-1229-6

Thank you for the suggestion. Moderation does not work for me. I've tried so many times and I end up bingeing. Regardless of whether or not I have a sugar addiction, I need to cut down on my intake dramatically.
  • BreakinChains
    Options
    You might have a problem with less than 10g if sugar per serve if you want to eat fruit and veg....all foods have carbs, carbs=sugar.

Very true. I misspoke. I should have said that I will not be eating foods with more than 10g of sugar unless it is a natural food. That's why I said all the fruit and veggies I want. My apologies.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No. You're experiencing cravings, not sugar addiction. If you need to cut back on satisfying treats for a while then okay, but you may want to also consider moderation. Good luck with finding a method that works for you.

Thank you for the suggestion. Moderation does not work for me. I've tried so many times and I end up bingeing. Regardless of whether or not I have a sugar addiction, I need to cut down on my intake dramatically.

My point was that you may find that over time you can reintroduce some sweets and learn to moderate them. That's the advantage of it not being an addiction. That's after you get through this initial phase though. Stick with what you're doing for now.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Do your meals include a variety of foods? How is your protein intake? Many things can effect cravings for sweet as well as savory tastes for some people (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4249715/)
  • XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sugar is hidden in many foods using unfamiliar and/or healthier sounding names. Here's a helpful article regarding hidden sugars and how to spot them:

10 Sneaky Names For Sugar
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    XnRGrandpa wrote: »
    Sugar is hidden in many foods using unfamiliar and/or healthier sounding names. Here's a helpful article regarding hidden sugars and how to spot them:

That article is funny. If the actual item doesn't give me a clue that it has some sort of sugar in it, then I should be pushed off the earth.

example: Agave nectar on a JAR OF AGAVE NECTAR! lol
  • XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options

That article is funny. If the actual item doesn't give me a clue that it has some sort of sugar in it, then I should be pushed off the earth.

**facepalm**
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

It's all so sneaky . . .
  • BreakinChains
    Options
    Where you are at is where I want to be. I'm aware there will be slip ups, but for now I need to get the eating under control. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It gives me hope.