Not sure about certain foods?

So I've been told that eating bread ( brown at that) is bad and will prevent weight loss? Is this true or?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    False. I eat a sandwich almost every day and lost 55 pounds. If bread fits into your nutrition goals and you don't have any negative effects after eating it, then it's perfectly fine to include in your diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    No...weight management is about energy balance...a calorie is a unit of energy...if you consume energy in excess of what your body needs to support itself and all of your activity, then that excess energy is stored as fat...fat is just stored energy...it's like your backup generator. When you consume less energy than your body requires to support itself and all of your activity then your body has to dip into those energy reserves and you burn fat to make up for the deficiency.

Don't make it complicated...it's basically 3rd grade math.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Sherhys wrote: »
    So I've been told that eating bread ( brown at that) is bad and will prevent weight loss? Is this true or?

Nope, not true
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Nothing except too many calorie prevents weight loss.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited July 2016
    Not true. Many people eat breads of all kinds and still lose weight, so long as they are in a calorie deficit. I choose not to eat bread because I have found that a carb heavy diet makes me feel hungrier, and leaves me struggling to create a deficit (or to stick with one for very long), but that is a highly individual thing.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition it doesn't matter. I have a thyroid disorder and do better avoiding grains as much as possible.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I eat bread every single day and it has not prevented me from losing 90 pounds. Enjoy your bread as long as it's accounted for in your calories.
  • ninjachicken4000
    ninjachicken4000 Posts: 26 Member
    Ignore anyone who tells you certain foods or macro nutrients cause weight gain. Only excess calories cause weight gain.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    80+ pounds and i eat bread all the time.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Lol! I include bread, chocolate, pasta, potatoes, cake, ice cream in my diet and have lost 90lbs. You've heard/read wrong.

• hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition, no effect. If you have a metabolism issue then refined carbs are not your friend.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Bread itself isn't bad for you. However, some people aren't able to tolerate a heavy carb diet. So long as you log the bread to account for the calories, it's fine. You have to find what works for you.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Totally agree with poster above that you can eat bread, I do, however if you are not getting enough protein, full fat or fiber you might feel hungrier.

For me on days I eat more carbs (I have one 1500 cal day I eat more carbs) I am hungrier then on days I eat 1200 with less carbs and more protein.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    The reason I have been successful with mfp is because it allows bread into my life.....I have on average 4 slices a day and I.dont mean that tasteless thin diet bread either, I have proper white sliced. I regularly have a steak or ham and mustard baguette for dinner with salad thats less than 500. Its what u put on.your bread that bumps up the calories not the bread itself. Yes im often slightly over on my carbs but I stay away from rice pasta and potatoes so I can indulge my love of bread, I stay within my calories and still lose steadily. It works for me and im 36lbs down.