Is it okay to eat the same every day for a week?

Options
Talanch
Talanch Posts: 21 Member
Is it okay to eat the same every day for a week, then change it the next week to eat the same every day again?

I am a full time teacher who's also working on starting up her own business; I'm basically working all day, every day right now. Plus, I live alone, so it's quite hard to not waste a lot of food.

I do try to get as much variety within the day, though. For example, next week will be:

Breakfast:
green smoothie with 50g spinach, 1 banana, 1 kiwi, 100gr frozen mango and 1,5 scoop hemp protein powder
100gr fromage frais with a drop of honey

Lunch:
A salad with 30gr mixed leaves, 1/4 cucumber, 1 carrot, 25gr peas, 25gr sweetcorn, 10gr mixed nuts, 1/2 tbsp pumpkin + chia seeds with 1/3 tbsp EVOO
Homemade egg mayo made of 100ml baked liquid egg white and a tsp light mayonnaise
1 pot soy vanilla dessert

Snacks:
100gr grapes
20gr rice crackers

Dinner:
85gr pan fried salmon (spray EVOO)
50gr (dry weight) steamed rice
100gr fromage frais with a drop of honey
Dinner veggies:
Monday & Tuesday: 300gr tomato & basil soup
Wednesday & Thursday: 1,5 roasted bell peppers
Friday & Saturday: 200gr steamed beetroot
Sunday: leftovers

Unsweetened green tea & water throughout the day
"Emergency" 85% dark chocolate

Does anyone know if eating like this is likely to cause any deficiencies or digestive issues or anything else?

I'm just starting out with this dieting thing and keen to learn (yes, I made my MFP account months ago, but wasn't motivated enough to use it at the time ;)).

Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are the calories and macros?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What are the calories and macros?

Holy cow! This

• Talanch
    Options
    Kcal: 1400-1450 (mainly working at my desk for summer)
    Carbs: 180-190gr
    Fat: 30gr
    Protein: 85-90gr

Thx
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Talanch wrote: »

Thx

Sorry

I am surprised it comes to that much to be honest

I wouldn't be sated eating like that and could think of much better ways to eat 1400 calories for me, but if it works for you the answer to your question is no, it doesn't matter ...it's up to you ...so long as you're getting variety and hitting your macro and micro nutrients over time

I often batch cook and eat the same thing for a few days, generally as a work lunch etc ..but I do like substantial meals so I'd spend 350 calories on 100g rice, 500g mixed veg stew and 10g cheddar cheese then another 150 on 0% Greek yogurt and raspberries etc

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Okay - probably; optimal - maybe not. But if you aren't bored, it's a sign that you are getting adequate nutrition. I do something similar (I live alone too, and hate wasting food too, but I DO have more free time) - I plan my meals and buy either just the necessary amount, or as small amounts I can, of fresh/perishable foods, spread it out over the number of days it will stay fresh, and two of my "cooking" days are also my main shopping days (the rest are "lazy cooking" days - mainly protein+starch+vegetable dinners). I will buy something different every time I shop, unless some favorite is in season - I have been eating melon (different varieties, but still) at breakfast for 24 consecutive days now, and there's more to come :D

I assume that you have your calories in check.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thx

If you're happy eating that everyday then go for it
  • Talanch
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Thx

Sorry

I wouldn't be sated eating like that and could think of much better ways to eat 1400 calories for me, but if it works for you the answer to your question is no, it doesn't matter ...it's up to you ...so long as you're getting variety and hitting your macro and micro nutrients over time

I often batch cook and eat the same thing for a few days, generally as a work lunch etc ..but I do like substantial meals so I'd spend 350 calories on 100g rice, 500g mixed veg stew and 10g cheddar cheese then another 150 on 0% Greek yogurt and raspberries etc

I should point out I have severe IBS as well, which gets worse during periods of stress (imagine me during exam season a few weeks ago). I need to eat small, light meals very slowly. This lunch for example would take me at least 45min to get down if I don't want it to come right back up again. I've had times where I couldn't eat all of my lunch, so had to eat the rest of it later which isn't very practical when you're teaching. I'm just trying to get as much nutrition in as possible without making the meals too big.

PS. I feel you come across as quite catty. Try not to scare off someone who might not be in a good place to handle comments like that.

----

Thank you, kommodevaran and TavistockToad, that's very helpful.
  • ConeheadAlpha
    ConeheadAlpha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've known people who eat the same thing every day for a month, it's fine. Fish every night might make you feel sick after some time though because of mercury.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It is ok to eat the same way every day for a week. It is a great way to simplify your planning and meal prep. Look at the macros and nutrients to make sure you're getting the recommended balance. Even if it's not perfect, you can simply balance it out the next week.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    During times of heavier work load at my job, I have routinized my diet in a similar fashion, using the same breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for a week or two, using the weekends to eat something different, usually out with friends, etc. It never did me any harm, but then this was back before I started MFP, so I don't remember what the macro counts were or the calorie load. If what you're doing works for you, I see no reason not to continue.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you can eat the same every day for a year, it's really easy to log. :D
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You can certainly eat the same thing everyday. I pretty much do. I will alternate some days.

I will say with your medical condition that this diet does not sound very appetizing, but sometimes you have to do what you have to to get by and stay as healthy as you can.

If in a week or two or three, you are feeling not quite right on this diet, certainly change it to something else that is either recommended by you doctor or something that you have been eating before or that works well with your IBS.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I usually have the same breakfast every day, so it's fine. The important thing is to get the required macros each day.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Thx

Sorry

I should point out I have severe IBS as well, which gets worse during periods of stress (imagine me during exam season a few weeks ago). I need to eat small, light meals very slowly. This lunch for example would take me at least 45min to get down if I don't want it to come right back up again. I've had times where I couldn't eat all of my lunch, so had to eat the rest of it later which isn't very practical when you're teaching. I'm just trying to get as much nutrition in as possible without making the meals too big.

PS. I feel you come across as quite catty. Try not to scare off someone who might not be in a good place to handle comments like that.

----

Thank you, kommodevaran and TavistockToad, that's very helpful.

Well actually I was apologising for my initial reaction and the way I phrased my agreement of tavistocktoad, and then giving my opinion that it was fine (as requested by your title), explaining that I do differently but similar because it works for me. But then I am not an IBS sufferer so can see why your mode of eating would be substantially different to mine.

Best to read everything in a kermit voice, then you can't get insulted by your own inferences.
  • skmonak
    skmonak Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly the same things everyday. I find what works for me and I keep it healthy and within my calorie goal. As long as you are getting the appropriate amount of nutrition for your body everyday it should be fine. It certainly makes going to the grocery store and planning meals a lot easier. I too suffer from bouts of nausea followed by bowel distress and when you find meal plans that help to soothe those symptoms it is only natural to want to stick with them because you feel better. I do take some vitamin/mineral supplements though just to make sure I am not shorting myself on certain nutriments.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I always batch cook for the week and eat pretty much the same meals for 6 days at a time. I find it makes things much simpler for me and easier to stay in control. I always do my best when I do this.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    I usually have the same breakfast every day, so it's fine. The important thing is to get the required macros each day.

My breakfast is fairly similar everyday but my other meals vary. The important thing is to be aware of what's actually going in to your body, and charting meals certainly makes all the info quite visible.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing just about every day. I also work in a school and by the time I get to the lunch room I have about 20 minutes to eat. Feel free to friend me if you would like to see my diary (though it's boring!)
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and I do the same thing. I cook everything on the weekend and eat the same breakfast, and lunch all week long. Sometimes dinner is different.

Lots of people do this. Balance. Like everyone else has already said.

(Are you ready for school to start? I'm soooooo not.)