Short girls- how many cals?

Hi again. I'm 5'3 144# hoping to get back to 120's. If I exercise 6 days per week (intense cardio like turbo fire) can I eat 1500 -1700 on weekends, 1200-1300 on weekdays ? I have been trying to do this and have lost a tiny bit but wondering if 1700 is too much even just twice a week? I try to get 250-350 cals from exercise on those days in particular. Thoughts? Would love to hear what other similar weight ladies have succeeded with. Sorry if this is a repeat I know this comes up a lot but feeling confused about maintenance vs deficit. My Fitbit tells me I burn about 2200 most days . Thanks you guys rock!

Replies

• ninjachicken4000
    ninjachicken4000 Posts: 26 Member
    Use this to get a better idea:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

It's always been accurate for me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    How much have you lost? How long ago did you implement this plan?

It sounds fine to me. I actually typically eat an average of 1800-2000 per day when losing weight. I'm 5'4.5" and in the 120's, but I'm also fairly active.

Another thing if you aren't using a food scale you could actually be eating a bit more than you think.
  • a0akley
    a0akley Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2016
    I have lost 2.2 lbs in 3 weeks (plus a lb or two more that was bloat as it went in one day so not true loss) since trying this. It's my solution to trying not to blow the whole week with weekend fun but still gives me some flexibility for social weekend fun
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    For your height, weight, and goal losing between .5-1lbs a week is what you should expect, and what is healthy. Keep on doing what you are doing.

Cheers, h.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I'm 5'2.5" and 123 lbs. If I stick to 1700-1800 a day, I lose weight. I'm fairly active. I can maintain at around 2000 a day. I tend to eat much more on the weekends though and eat at a slight deficit during the week and it works for me to maintain.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    The only way to know if it's too much is to watch your intake and burn numbers versus the bathroom scale longterm and see if there is a trend of gaining, losing, or staying the same weight. A lot of very precise people use spreadsheets. I only do that when I get stuck. I usually just use Fitbit, MFP Android, and trendweight.com as I showed in the middle of this post.
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Your fitbit calorie burn is 90 percent based on what your body burns staying alive. Don't get it confused with actuall calories burned through exercise. Big mistake people make thinking they are burning massive calories and eat more. When that's not the case

I am 5 2. And i have lost 18 lbs. Creating a calorie deficit with food and adding excersise. I havent tried hard or been consistent with my logging either. Been doing this since april. Do it at your own pace and try not to get caught up in numbers
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Your fitbit calorie burn is 90 percent based on what your body burns staying alive. Don't get it confused with actuall calories burned through exercise. Big mistake people make thinking they are burning massive calories and eat more. When that's not the case

I am 5 2. And i have lost 18 lbs. Creating a calorie deficit with food and adding excersise. I havent tried hard or been consistent with my logging either. Been doing this since april. Do it at your own pace and try not to get caught up in numbers

I would hope most people have enough common sense to know Fitbit doesn't work that way. My Fitbit Charge HR says today that I've burned 2034 calories. I know that is my TDEE and to maintain my weight, I'd eat around 2034 calories. Anyone who would look at their Fitbit and think that means they can eat 2034 calories on top of their calorie allowance should not be owning a Fitbit in the first place.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    5'4" need to loose 80 lbs to get into a healthy bmi - eating 1200 average a week (I cycle calories). I've lost 12 lbs in 30 days.

I walk for exercise and I don't eat back my calories burned...Yet. So far I have plenty of fat storage to give me energy. When I begin to feel tired I will begin eating them back.

Hope this helps.
  • meghanchevy28
    meghanchevy28 Posts: 32 Member
    According to your height, age, activity level and weight you should be consuming around 1575-1680 calories per day in order to be in a caloric deficit. Great job on burning a lot of calories! However be sure not to eat back the calories in which you burn because then there would basically be no point to your workout.

Your BMR is 1312 calories/day (which is the amount you burn doing nothing) and therefore your workouts will in fact be putting you in a deficit if you eat the suggested amount of calories.

Obviously as you lose weight calories and macros will need to be adjusted but id follow this for at least 2 weeks to give it a shot!