Thoughts / experience with PHAT routine?

Options
I've been doing a PPL routine for the past 12 weeks, and I'm looking to change things up (It's been great, I just need to change things up every so often or else I get bored and become stagnant). I'd like to do a more hypertrophy-focused routine for a few months before rebooting Stronglifts or some other strength-focused routine in fall/winter.

I really like the looks of the PHAT routine, since it still includes some power focus days w/ hypertrophy. I'm a little concerned though by the long list of exercises... I try to be in & out of the gym in about an hour or less most days. Has anybody done the PHAT routine? On average, how long did the workouts take? How easy was it to balance the routine with cardio (I do really enjoy running at least a couple times a week and like to keep it in any routine I do)?

Any other thoughts or tips would be appreciated too!

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    In for responses. I've been thinking about switching to something like this, also.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I've run PHAT several times and will throw a few meso-cycles of it in when I feel like a change in my current programming. I don't have a time restraint when running PHAT, so my workouts would normally last around 2 hours (maybe a little longer on legs). The routine is just a template and can be structured to accommodate your time restraint. So for example, you can devote enough time needed for the strength/heavy initial sets, then reduce rest periods between sets for the "hypertrophy/volume" work to get you into your timeline goal (you probably won't be able to handle as much weight or achieve as many reps due to shortened recovery between sets). This won't have the exact end result as being able to devote enough time with heavier weight and longer rest periods, but these are the small trade-offs one might have to incur. No different than the normal gym go-er compared to someone who's job is to train. The one who can devote more time and energy towards training, will have better results over long term, but that might not be "your" job. You might be going just to have fun/stay in shape/etc...

Also as a note, depending on how much you have to shorten the rest periods, this might turn into something akin to circuit style training, which will have a cardio impact...so might have to just play around with it and see how it impacts your running and which days you do your runs in relation to your PHAT routine.
  • elzianne
    elzianne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks @cajuntank ! That's very helpful!