Pasta Alternatives/Healthy Pasta?

Options
erinross915
erinross915 Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I love pasta, and I also love things like spaghetti squash and zoodles...but sometimes I just want pasta, noodles, etc. Do you just eat regular pasta as a cheat (I say cheat because I'm staying low carb/calorie intake) and work it into your calories or has anyone found a brand that has less calories or anything?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat regular pasta and work it into my calorie and nutrition goals. I don't consider it a cheat.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I eat regular pasta, and log it. Just like every other food.
    Why would that be "a cheat"??
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I eat regular pasta all the time, and don't consider it cheating. As long as you eat a reasonable serving, it's pretty easy to fit into my goal.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta regularly and stay within my calorie allotment. I've tried spaghetti squash as a replacement, it just wasn't worth it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti is part of the reason I would never low carb!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative to pasta when I want pasta.
    Eating food you enjoy isn't cheating!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    To actually answer your question rather than say just fit it into you macros: black bean pasta, edamame pasta, etc. (they sell them at sprouts and whole foods), shirataki noodles (rinse well and pan fry in a dry pan first), zoodles...etc.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Explore Asian - a brand I have fallen in love with.
    Available at those "fancy" grocery stores like whole foods.
    http://www.explore-asian.com/products/organic-black-bean-spaghetti-6-pack.html
    ^^ Here is a picture of what the black bean spaghetti looks like (love it), scroll down to see it\
    A package has 4 servings for about $5. You only need one serving and you're full. I top it with a bit of ragu with an added can of diced tomatoes drained. \
    I also like Whole Wheat Pasta. Seems better than white. I feel full with less and I feel full longer. Here is a picture. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Whole-Wheat-Spaghetti-13.25-oz/13399551
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    To actually answer your question rather than say just fit it into you macros: black bean pasta, edamame pasta, etc. (they sell them at sprouts and whole foods), shirataki noodles (rinse well and pan fry in a dry pan first), zoodles...etc.
    Do you just eat regular pasta as a cheat (I say cheat because I'm staying low carb/calorie intake) and work it into your calories or has anyone found a brand that has less calories or anything?

I also answered her question.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta and a smaller portion size, not a huge plate/bowl.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that OP added " (I say cheat because I'm staying low carb/calorie intake)" after the first several replies were posted (or at least while we were typing).

OP, I don't do low carb, so I can't help you with that. I would be miserable eating low carb. I have found with some practice, I've been able to fit pasta into my diet regularly eating under 1600 cals. I'm sure others will give you more help on the low carb side.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

I am Italian with family still there... that stuff isnt pasta. the answer @diannethegeek is answering the question. If it were I asking the question... hers would be the only answer I would accept because thats what works for me. While your answer might work for some doesn't mean you need to undermine what also works for others.
  • greatatboats
    greatatboats Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb so this may not be relevant for you, but I eat pasta at least 5 nights a week. I switch between spaghetti, elbows, and penne and either Barilla's veggie pasta or the protein one. Depending on how hungry I am a normal serving is 70-100 grams dry weight. I will say that I feel like I get more bang for my buck if I do spaghetti vs other shapes.

In a related story, tonight's dinner was 92 grams of veggie penne, 59 grams of baked chicken breast, some mushrooms, spinach, not quite half a cup of tomato alfredo sauce, and a large pinch of Parmesan cheese. My sodium is kind of crazy ridiculous because of the sauce, but calories-wise my dinner was decent at 680.
  • BethanyFrench
    BethanyFrench Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    trim healthy mama people say dreamfields pasta is coated with something that keeps the carbs from converting to sugar as long as you don't reheat it, but i'm scared to try! i make it for my hubby and use zoodles or shiritaki noodles for myself.
  • marilyncotton
    marilyncotton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also on a low carb and I use zoodles, spaghetti squash and
    Dreamfields pasta it is low carb and recommended by my dietician;
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    On occasion we will use thin sliced zucchini as a pasta substitute in both lasagna and like in place of linguini. It ain't perfect but it's not bad either.
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Creamettes has pasta that is 150 calories per serving (56g) and 13 grams of fiber.
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Zoodles cooked with garlic, spices and a bit of olive oil tastes the same to me.
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pasta will not be your low carb day but I have my one serving 2oz dry and add equal amount of mushrooms then sauce which has carbs as well. Any non starch veg. prob. works the same to give volume at low cost though! Also I make sure my slightly higher carb days are gym days to take advantage of those carbs or energy.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Check out shirataki noodles at Vitacost.com
    If you wait until their BOGO sale, sometimes they put their brand buy one, get one 50% off.
    I also like to spiralize zucchini and yellow squash and lightly saute it with bouillon for flavor. It tastes so good with mushrooms and meat sauce!