Any advice for introverts?

13»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    A virtual network is more beneficial in many ways to real life. For many of us whose real life friends have conflicting goals and needs it is difficult to find that mutual motivating element when it comes to working out and eating within a budget. Being introverted does not equal isolation by any means and we still react to positive and negative influences.

Find a group of people you identify with and stick with them through the highs and lows. Allow them to challenge your biases and beliefs and learn from one another.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    For me, yes. I have had some friends on here for two years. We share stories not just about fitness, but about life. One thing I learned about weight loss and fitness, is that it's kind of a lonely road. No one really cares about your macros or can understand what you are doing...and sometimes it's really good to be able to share your success, troubles, struggles.

I agree with arditarose -no one in my real life cares about my macros or what kind of exercise I'm trying out - in real life it's pretty TMI. Seeing what others are doing in terms of nutrition and fitness and reading struggles, success stories is often inspiring and motivating to me. Being able to share stuff that's on my mind that I'm pretty sure folks in my real life would be uninterested in hearing over and over again (like my tiny incremental fitness progress) gives me a kind of release.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Big ol' introvert here. What I appreciate most about my friends list is their consistency. They don't have to say much of anything, and I don't really need outside advice or encouragement. And I rarely post anything of note beyond just logging. But seeing the ones with year+ long log-in streaks, grinding it out in my feed, day after day, putting in the work of being fit - that's helpful.

That can become your peer group for this part of life, and we know from studies that the quality of your peer groups is very important.