Question about editing foods in the database.

DPHender
DPHender Posts: 8 Member
If I find a used-entered food in the database that doesn't have the sodium level entered, for example, or has the wrong calorie count, then I know how to go on the website and edit the food to fix it. No problems there.

But the one thing I couldn't find using that editor, was a way to add on additional serving sizes. Is there a way to do that and I'm just being blind to it?

What I mean is... well, here's an example:
Say I buy a half-rack of ribs. That's more than I'm gonna eat in one meal, but I'll cook the whole thing up as part of a recipe and then portion it out. Now, when I go to enter the recipe, the entry for ribs has a serving size set that I can choose either 4 oz or 1 oz. But this thing is 4.2 pounds! I'd like to edit the entry to include a 1 lb serving option so I don't have to get out the calculator to convert.
See what I mean? So is there a way to do that or do I just have to either convert manually or create a new entry?

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Use the 1 oz serving size but count 1.2 servings of it
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    if you're using the oz serving size, 16 oz = 1lb. or enter it in as a recipe and put the full weight of the overall then choose how many servings you plan to get out of the recipe and it will cut it down per serving for you.
  • DPHender
    DPHender Posts: 8 Member
    wildtxn wrote: »
    if you're using the oz serving size, 16 oz = 1lb. or enter it in as a recipe and put the full weight of the overall then choose how many servings you plan to get out of the recipe and it will cut it down per serving for you.

Right, but 4.23 lbs using the 1 oz serving size comes to 67.68 servings. I had to use a calculator to figure that out. If there was a 1 lb serving size then I wouldn't need the calculator. So I'm wondering how I can edit the food to add an additional serving size.
  • lasses
    lasses Posts: 1 Member
    Yep, the same, I have seen multiple servings sizes on certain foods, how do they come up? F.ex. a slice of bread should be able to be available separately from the bulk 100g serving size. How do I add that kind of thing?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    lasses wrote: »
    Yep, the same, I have seen multiple servings sizes on certain foods, how do they come up? F.ex. a slice of bread should be able to be available separately from the bulk 100g serving size. How do I add that kind of thing?
    You can't. Users can only choose one serving unit when they create items for the database. Only items created or imported by MFP itself can have more than one serving unit.

What I've done is create all of the foods that I use in My Foods with the serving size that I prefer (I use grams for solids and ml for liquids) and without sharing with the database. That way, I know the entry is accurate and it can't be edited by someone else.
  • amber5151
    amber5151 Posts: 51 Member
    DPHender wrote: »
    wildtxn wrote: »

Right, but 4.23 lbs using the 1 oz serving size comes to 67.68 servings. I had to use a calculator to figure that out. If there was a 1 lb serving size then I wouldn't need the calculator. So I'm wondering how I can edit the food to add an additional serving size.

Also with ribs, a lot of weight is in the bone. You aren't eating a full lb of meat. so to log it accurately you would have to tear it from the bone, weigh it, and then log it the correct serving.