What's the best way to adjust macros to lose FAT?

Options
I lost 2lbs this week, but according to The Complete Nutrition Ctr., I gained fat & lost muscle despite the scale going down. Their suggestion was to cut back on my current 212g (40%) of carbs and raise my current 71g (30%) healthy fats.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    They told you that you gained fat when you lost 2 lbs in just one week? Did they really?
    I would have said you found something that is working.
    Were they trying to sell you something like flax oil liquid?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I think the best way is to eat enough protein (and stay in a deficit) and do some resistance training so that you lose more fat/less muscle.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    To lose fat, you really don't have to go to any extreme macros at all. You simply need to eat at a deficit. For most people, the MFP default macros are also plenty for any exercise you do as far as fueling and muscle repair.

I wouldn't pay much attention to any place telling you that you lost two pounds and gained fat, unless you've been laying in a bed and not moving for a while or something. Generally if you are a functioning person and have fat to lose, you aren't going to lose much muscle quickly unless you quit using it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I lost 2lbs this week, but according to The Complete Nutrition Ctr., I gained fat & lost muscle despite the scale going down. Their suggestion was to cut back on my current 212g (40%) of carbs and raise my current 71g (30%) healthy fats.

I'd be very, very suspicious of their claim that you lost muscle and GAINED FAT despite a 2lb loss.

Are they using a handheld device to assess body-fat, or a scale that you stand on that also provides a body-fat measurement?
  • choplikekarate
    choplikekarate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said, macros are just one part of the equation. You need to make sure you're eating below your TDEE, and about 20% below if you want to lose about 2 lbs. / week.

My macro ratio is at 40% carbs, 30% proteins, and 30% fats. This is definitely a good place to start. If you find yourself needing something else, you can adjust slightly over time to your particular body's needs.
  • jvhealthy2012
    jvhealthy2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The place I went to takes weight on a scale, then u grab 2 poles that you hold out from the sides of your body. They give you a body comp report which includes weight, body fat %, body fat mass, muscle mass, body water %, and your BMR calories.
    I'm currently eating 40%C, 30%P, 30%F. I'm wondering if carb cycling might work for me, alternating 40%C, 30%F to 30%C , 40%F
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The place I went to takes weight on a scale, then u grab 2 poles that you hold out from the sides of your body. They give you a body comp report which includes weight, body fat %, body fat mass, muscle mass, body water %, and your BMR calories.

These kinds of bioelectrical impedance analyzers (BIA) are not known to be particularly accurate or repeatable. Variations in skin moisture as well as hydration level can strongly affect the results. I would not put any stock in the report that your body fat went up. It's more likely a variation in the measurement than a true fat gain.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    This method of measuring body fat is not accurate. You lost two pounds. You didn't gain fat.

I also do 40C/30P/30F for macros.

If you eat at a deficit, you will lose body fat. Eating more protein can help you hold onto lean muscle.