Open Diaries

Options

Replies

• Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a dumb question but how do you see someone's open diary?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    emilk2016 wrote: »

just click on my profile and then on diary if its not open it wont be there so say friends only

good luck
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So my diary has always been open (was active 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 on and off) and I've never once had someone get in my grill about what I log. Maybe that's just me, though.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open so that if I'm giving advice, someone can look at what I'm doing for myself. Or so if I ask for advice, people can see what I'm eating.

Looking at the diary of some people asking questions is very eye-opening sometimes.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Always had an open diary, and friends are welcome to comment. If someone 'unfriends' you because of honest diary entries - they have a problem, not you. I once had a friend on here who lost over 300lbs. He said, for him, logging everything and sharing his diary was a great help...
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    emilk2016 wrote: »

When a friend completes their daily record, if the diary is 'open' to friends, there will be a comment 'veiw diary' in blue next to it...
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    My diary and profile are wide open. Nothing to hide. I am a self-confessed foodie from WAY back and the love affair I've had with great food over the years has gotten me to where I am. I am 60 pounds lighter than I was at my heaviest ever, and trending downward still, with another 60 to 80 pounds to go. I love to cook, I love to feed people, and I love to eat.

Having said all of that, I don't give a snit about what anyone else thinks about what I eat, constructive criticism aside. And I don't give a snit about what you eat either, as long as you're getting the results you expect. I DO think it helps to see other peoples' diaries, to see what other successful people are eating.

Just my humble opinions...
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I dont know if it keeps me more accountable and I have yet to be "defriended" even if I make mistakes.. I just thought it was polite to keep it open so others can see that they arent the only ones struggling with this. That, and if anyone WANTED to take a look and saw a pattern they could help me with or advise me on, well.. A wise man seeks council! A foolish man hates rebuke. Since I am new to this, I need advice. I may not take it.. Or I may later on down the road..(like someone suggested more protein and it took me a month to try it and to my shock, it worked!) But ultimately its up to me if I want to take expert advice from seasoned dieters who were met with success.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I got to the point where having my diary open led to me omitting things when I started overeating again to make myself look better. It's now locked because I don't think it's anyone's business what I eat. I've been here for three years, I know what I'm doing.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, and no one has ever commented on my entries. I like to look at other people's diaries to generate meal ideas.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I got to the point where having my diary open led to me omitting things when I started overeating again to make myself look better. It's now locked because I don't think it's anyone's business what I eat. I've been here for three years, I know what I'm doing.

Now THAT is the hardest thing to do! Have an open diary and still be HONEST! I may not COMPLETE the diary, but I still leave it open, and I still give an honest account.. even if I do have to wrestle with myself to do so. But I need to stay honest with myself and need to have it open for others to browse.
  • alexpriceonline
    alexpriceonline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open in the knowledge that people might look at it. It certainly makes me think twice about my food choices.

Speaking of accountability, I'm looking for new MFP friends to motivate and keep me on this fitness adventure!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been open and no one has ever commented on my food choices, and I'll admit I do not always make the best choices. Sometimes when I go way over my calories I don't always log it, but I would do the same even if I had a closed diary. I just sigh, and move on.
    Honestly I rarely look at other people's diary's unless they post a question or something related to their calorie goal/food choices/or progress. I would never look through someone's diary just to tell them "OMG you didn't even eat any vegetables today!?" because I still struggle with this myself. Not everyone has goals to eat more whole foods like I do at this point in my journey, and that's fine.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, mostly because I'm grateful for other people's open diaries, which I find very helpful.

Nobody's going to learn anything from me yet, because I'm brand new, but maybe someday I might be of use to someone.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of friends on here, so I don't really worry about who is reading my diary. If someone happens to find inspiration from my diary, then that is wonderful. If someone were to delete me over what I eat... well, okay then. I guess I opened it because I felt someone might want to peruse it, and really what do I have to hide? It's food that I am putting into my own body.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who cares. :-)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The only person who judges me is me. The only person whose judgemental opinion of me matters is me. I have an open diary and hundreds of friends. Maybe you all treat ugly old men differently than pretty young girls, but no-one has second-guessed, objected, or questioned my food choices. Open your diary, I advocate, because it's a lot easier to get good help when you ask for it if your diary is open.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wish it was a requirement to keep all diaries open. Then you could see who is being honest and who is not. If you are doing what you are supposed to be doing and the weight is coming off, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I wish it was a requirement to keep all diaries open. Then you could see who is being honest and who is not. If you are doing what you are supposed to be doing and the weight is coming off, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Really? Sounds pretty judgemental to me.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. not to keep me honest in my logging but to keep me honest in the community. If I participate in a discussion about food choices or logging methods and make a statement about what and how I eat I feel other participants should be able to look at it and challenge me if I'm misrepresenting. I've never gotten any comments and wouldn't expect to, and would cheerfully block anyone who felt they need to give me unsolicited advice :)