Logging water

Options
Hi all,

I'm not a big drinker naturally and never have really drunk that much. I am really confused about how to log water. I know it's doesn't effect calories but I just trying to be healthier and give my body what it needs.

I have only been logging actual water on its own in my water logs. Not including tea, herbal tea, squash or cordial. Is this correct. I am finding it really hard to hit that target of 2 litres. The most I ever managed is 600ml. I drink a lot of tea just with a splash of milk or and a lot of herbal tea. Should I be including this? I think I would pop if I drink 2 litres of pure water on top of my other drinks.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't log water. However, I believe that all liquids (plus many foods) help with hydration. I would log the other stuff in your water log.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There's water in your tea, squash, cordial etc so log that too. You don't have to just count pure water.
    I'm rarely thirsty so don't drink much water but eat fruits and veggies and drink teas & coffee all containing water and I'm not dehydrated so as I said it doesn't just have to be pure water.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't log water. I drink a lot throughout the day and its a PITA to track how much. I do track other drinks to keep an eye on the cals or just remind me what I had that day.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't log water. I drink a lot throughout the day and its a PITA to track how much. I do track other drinks to keep an eye on the cals or just remind me what I had that day.

Im the exact way. I only log calorie drinks. The only time I start tracking water is when Im feeling dehydrated or sick.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm not a big drinker naturally and never have really drunk that much. I am really confused about how to log water. I know it's doesn't effect calories but I just trying to be healthier and give my body what it needs.

I have only been logging actual water on its own in my water logs. Not including tea, herbal tea, squash or cordial. Is this correct. I am finding it really hard to hit that target of 2 litres. The most I ever managed is 600ml. I drink a lot of tea just with a splash of milk or and a lot of herbal tea. Should I be including this? I think I would pop if I drink 2 litres of pure water on top of my other drinks.

I log my water in the appropriate place at the bottom of the MFP screen. All other drinks I log with the specific meal - tea or coffee with breakfast, juice or wine with lunch or dinner. Drinks at any other time such as mid-morning or mid-afternoon at work I log as snacks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Tea is just flavored water - it definitely counts as water. The whole idea is to keep yourself hydrated not to force you to drink plain water. What would even be the reason for that? There isn't one. Drink your tea.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I logged my water. I needed that check to insure I drank at least 8 glasses. As I have gone more used to drinking water, I stopped being so anal about logging it.

I log every other liquid separately, especially the ones with calories but I do log my tea mostly because I put honey in it which has sugar & calories.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Tea is just flavored water - it definitely counts as water. The whole idea is to keep yourself hydrated not to force you to drink plain water. What would even be the reason for that? There isn't one. Drink your tea.

I expect tea with milk and sugar would have a caloric effect. A glass of plain water would not. that's why I post them differently.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

I expect tea with milk and sugar would have a caloric effect. A glass of plain water would not. that's why I post them differently.

You do need to log milk and sugar and anything with calories but they don't stop hydrating you just because they have calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Log it however you want - but rest assured that your body "counts" just about any liquid for the purposes of hydration (water, tea, soda, coffee, milk, fruit juice, sports drinks, etc.) - whether they're caloric, flavored, artificially sweetened, caffeinated, etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless you have real problems with staying hydrated it seems a complete waste of time to bother logging zero calorie drinks. Your body needs to be hydrated but that doesn't require counting intake.

There certainly isn't one single water (or other hydrating liquids...) formula or amount that suits everyone.

Focus on what's important.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I don't log my water here. I have a different app that calculates how much I should drink based on age, gender, and weight. I log my water there.