Any Fitbit people out there?

Options
Ok, so I'm going to invest in a Fitbit wrist step tracker next week. Are they complicated to use? Can I track steps, distance and calories burned? The only one I can find is at Wal-Mart for $50. Could really use some input. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Which Fitbit is it, do you know? That's a great price! I paid double that for my Flex, which I LOVE. They aren't complicated at all once you get it set up on your computer (That was a whole evening of drama here, but it finally happened..lol). Yes, it tracks your steps, distance, and calories burned, even at rest. It also tracks your sleep, so if you're not the best sleeper, you can start working on changing that based on the data your fitbit gives you. It's been a lifesaver for me. I've gone from sleeping only 4-5 hours a nite on average until December, and now get almost 9 hours a nite....I've also managed to increase my activity levels from Sedentary to Lightly Active to Active, all since December!
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Which Fitbit is it, do you know? That's a great price! I paid double that for my Flex, which I LOVE. They aren't complicated at all once you get it set up on your computer (That was a whole evening of drama here, but it finally happened..lol). Yes, it tracks your steps, distance, and calories burned, even at rest. It also tracks your sleep, so if you're not the best sleeper, you can start working on changing that based on the data your fitbit gives you. It's been a lifesaver for me. I've gone from sleeping only 4-5 hours a nite on average until December, and now get almost 9 hours a nite....I've also managed to increase my activity levels from Sedentary to Lightly Active to Active, all since December!

Wow! Congrats! That's fantastic! Uh-oh, do i need a computer? @JustMissTracy
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Nope, you can do it on your phone or tablet too!
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    Options
    Nope, you can do it on your phone or tablet too!

Is that only for the purposes of sharing the info and data?
  • JustMissTracy
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You sync your fitbit to your phone, then it crosses over onto MFP...so when you enter your food on MFP, and let your Fitbit track your steps, you get a more accurate picture of whether you are achieving CICO or not...remember, you only lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat. I'm in maintenance, this week I burned, literally, 11 more calories than I ate....11....I never would have known that without MFP and my Fitbit together, and probably would have consumed much MORE than those 11 if I didn't see the data :)

CICO= Calories In Vs Calories Out
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Fitbit will give you whats called a "Dashboard"...it's a page that displays your numbers in real time, all day...your steps, your burns, the crossover info from MFP....so you always have a running total of where you are, and if you need to MOVE more!
  • MaryLuvsTheLamb
    Options
    You sync your fitbit to your phone, then it crosses over onto MFP...so when you enter your food on MFP, and let your Fitbit track your steps, you get a more accurate picture of whether you are achieving CICO or not...remember, you only lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat. I'm in maintenance, this week I burned, literally, 11 more calories than I ate....11....I never would have known that without MFP and my Fitbit together, and probably would have consumed much MORE than those 11 if I didn't see the data :)

CICO= Calories In Vs Calories Out

Sweet! I'm so excited now! Thank you so much for your patience with my questions. Best wishes on your maintenance. <3
  • cmcmlb29
    cmcmlb29 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started with the Zip, moved up to the One and am now using the Flex. I really like the Flex for the sleep tracking as well as activity tracking. But I am thinking about moving up to the Alta which has the vibration feature to remind you to move every hour which is not a feature with the Flex. Fitbit has a great dashboard and community much like MFP. Only complaint is that the features and updates don't go across the board with each device. Good luck.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i had the surge and definitely do NOT recommend that one. I liked that fact that it counted floors, heart rate as well as the other usual fitbit stuff like sleep, activity, steps etc. What i didnt like was the band. It cracks along a non seam (no idea how) and since the band isn't replaceable you're SOL if that happens. When it happened to mine i found online there were several people with the same issue with the band breaking at the exact same location. I had it for a year.

Now I have an alta and I like it because the band is replaceable. it doesn't track heart rate or floors but it does the other things that fitbits do.

I think I'll eventually be buying a Moov Now because none of the fitbits are as waterproof as I need them to be and I need something that can also track my pool workouts
  • djones209
    djones209 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just got the Alta. I went on eBay and bought a rose gold stainless steel band so it looks like I am wearing a nice bracelet. I moved up from the Flex and love the ease of use as well as all the info it gives!