Do flavored k-cups have calories?

Options
st476
st476 Posts: 357 Member
I'm thinking about buying the Dunkin Donuts chocolate glazed donut flavored k cups. When I scanned the barcode in store, it said 2 calories. Is that true? I read somewhere that the flavored ones have calories (as in a lot more than 2). Just want to make sure :) Thanks!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I buy flavored beans from speciality coffee stores. I did try to see once if they had extra calories but from what I gather, no. Or at least not any to worry about.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    If they have any significant calories, it will be stated on the label and from something cream or sugar based
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Probably 2-5 calories, very negligible. They don't have many calories because they don't contain any sugar. Flavored coffee might contain a bit of fat(oil from the bean) but its a very small amount.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    A flavored coffee drink that you get at a shop like Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks typically gets the flavoring from a syrup which adds calories.

Flavored coffee in a k-cup or bagged ground coffee has a tiny number of calories as @DancingMoosie says.

~Lyssa
  • Hyperbum
    Hyperbum Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have some Donut Shop sweet and creamy kcups that run 80 cals each.
  • shanahz
    shanahz Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Most of the k-cups I have are 5 calories or less. I did buy one that ended up having 30 calories per cup.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If the package doesn't list calories, it's less than 5 per serving. You could always play it safe and quick add 4 calories if you want.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If the label says 0 calories, that means it must contain less than 5 calories. That being said, most k-cup coffees are fine. However, the ones that say "cappuccino" or "latte" on them contain sugar, cream, etc. and do contain calories.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Flavored bean coffee usually doesn't actually have syrups. They usually toss powdered flavoring or artificial flavors on the beans, so that's why the calorie count is so low.

I remember when I worked for Borders and we used to do all sorts of weird drip coffee flavors like Blueberry (and all the various christmas holiday flavors). We had to send a cup of plain rice through the grinder afterwards, otherwise everything we ground tasted like the flavored stuff, because the damn powder/oils would stick to the grinder.

(Also, ugh, writing this post i am having flashbacks to the smell of blueberry coffee beans-it's not pretty.)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Some K-cups have sugar/cream added and taste like the horrible cappuccinos you can get from 7-11 or gas station machines. Those definitely have calories. Just flavored coffee grounds like those DD ones are going to be basically like plain coffee in terms of calories.