Beet Greens + Lower-Calorie/-Sugar Potassium Sources

Options
Hello MFP!

I just read a very useful thread, linked below, about hitting the 3.5g RDA of potassium without too many higher-calorie foods, like bananas.
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10383860/potassium

I like to run and do a lot of cardio and weights, so making sure I keep potassium and sodium levels good is really important.

I also looked through my macros/micros and found I have a pretty high sugar and overall carb intake, largely due to agave syrup in my morning coffee (which I'm phasing out w Stevia simple syrup), but also due to the 2-4 bananas I eat every day (whoops).

I also prefer lower-volume foods, so eating a cup of beans or chugging cups of veggie juice is less appealing to me than a lower-volume food like greens.

Based on my brief internet research, it looks like these are going to be my future main sources of potassium:
  • beet greens
  • swiss chard
  • spinach (a lot blended into smoothies)
  • low-sodium V8

mga03f37hu10.png

Useful links:

I'd appreciate reading others' ideas for lower-Calorie/-sugar/-carb high-potassium foods!

:smile:

Replies

• mean_jeannie
    mean_jeannie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For low carb options, clams and fish seem like a good way to go. Also winter squashes like spaghetti squash will offer a lower calorie option for good potassium.

Good luck!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I put milk in my morning coffee. 366 mg of potassium for 8 ounces. Food for thought.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are probably getting enough potassium.
    The entries in the data base for potassium are incomplete because the US does not require potassium on food labels.