Calories in stationary biking

Options
Seffell
Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
My question is: is it possible to burn (according to MFP) 67 calories in 20 minutes of very light cycling?

Here are the details:
I'm 35, female, 147lbs, 5'7"
I'm brand new to cycling and fitness altogether (ex couch potato+some health issues). But not new to calories counting.
I rode the bike at 2 out of 8 difficulties (the bike is very basic one, not many functions so this is the most info I can give you about the difficulty).
I rode it at 18-20km/h (11-12mph)(I know this doesn't say much but it doesn't display rotations or power).
My pulse was manually measured to be 110 bpm several times during the ride. (which is around 60% of mhr for me, resting is 60bpm).
Qualitatively I felt no effort being made what so ever. I did start sweating after 5 minutes but I could easily talk or sing. (And it is very hot outside)

I wonder if it is possible to burn so much doing so little. It would make 200calories for an hour of cycling at this effort which is easily achieved.
I thought if it was so easy, then everyone would be doing it, so it makes no sense.
My bike by the way displayed something like 170calories burned which I ignored completely because it sounds ridiculous. But 67 still sounds too much for me as I felt I didn't do much.

So is it really possible? (I googled it for some time and MFP gave the lowest possible estimate)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    67 calories is a tiny number that is going to be lost in all the inaccuracies of everything to do with calorie counting.
    Just log it and move on, no-one can possibly know.

If it felt too easy turn up the resistance next time.
  • Seffell
    Options
    Thanks. Can't turn up the resistance due to leg injury, I'm riding it for rehabilitation. 67 might be lost but
    3 or 4 x 67 a day sounds great to me. (I eat 1300 at the moment)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i burn so few calories stationary biking that i dont even log it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your rehab - been there, done that!!
  • Seffell
    Options