80/15/5

Options
I recently started tracking my macronutrients and found that I eat a high amount of carbs in my diet.

My average calorie breakdown comes to 80% Carbohydrates/15% Fat/ 5% Protein. My carb intake is high and my protein intake is low, but I feel I have enough energy throughout the day and don't feel sluggish at all. Does anyone else have similar macronutrient percentages?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    This does not sound healthy. What are you eating?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How recently is recently, and what do you do to make sure you are tracking correctly? What's your calorie goal? Are you cutting, gaining or maintaining?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    You should definitely not be going any lower than 10% with your protein. It can be dangerous to do so.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How are you managing to eat so little protein?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

My best guess would be lots and lots of potato chips, but they would have to be Olean chips to keep the fat that low as well. Jesus, do they still make those?
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No, and having protein intake so low is dangerous. Dont believe the hype of the HCLF crowd, this can cause long term damage.

plant based diets really go low... but 10% would be the very lowest you would want to do... i did the LCHF and ended up getting some heart problems......
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No, and having protein intake so low is dangerous. Dont believe the hype of the HCLF crowd, this can cause long term damage.

plant based diets really go low... but 10% would be the very lowest you would want to do... i did the LCHF and ended up getting some heart problems......

In addition to this it is common to experience low sex hormones when on such a low fat low protein diet. I also eat plant based, but there is no reason to have such a ridiculous macronutrient ratio.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

My best guess would be lots and lots of potato chips, but they would have to be Olean chips to keep the fat that low as well. Jesus, do they still make those?

I was going to suggest that plain potatoes would work even better if you allowed for some small amt of butter per potato, and wonder if maybe OP is doing McDougall, but turns out that 2000 g of potato plus an oz of butter is about 80-10-10 at 1750 calories. So not even that is as low protein as OP claims. If you keep the butter and half the potatoes and add in 1000 g of bananas, you are basically there, on 1900 calories.

Not the most balanced diet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I was going to suggest that plain potatoes would work even better if you allowed for some small amt of butter per potato, and wonder if maybe OP is doing McDougall, but turns out that 2000 g of potato plus an oz of butter is about 80-10-10 at 1750 calories. So not even that is as low protein as OP claims. If you keep the butter and half the potatoes and add in 1000 g of bananas, you are basically there, on 1900 calories.

Not the most balanced diet.

Probably a fruit heavy diet.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    How recently is recently, and what do you do to make sure you are tracking correctly? What's your calorie goal? Are you cutting, gaining or maintaining?

I recently started tracking macronutrients about a couple of weeks ago. I am in maintenance, but I eat my BMR of 1665 calories so I create a small deficit that adds up on the weekends where I can eat more.

So at 1665 calories using the 80/15/5 ratio, I eat 333 grams of carbs, 28 grams of fat, and 21 grams of protein.

Is this amount of protein really that detrimental to my health? Aren't there some vegans that eat about this amount?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I recently started tracking macronutrients about a couple of weeks ago. I am in maintenance, but I eat my BMR of 1665 calories so I create a small deficit that adds up on the weekends where I can eat more.

So at 1665 calories using the 80/15/5 ratio, I eat 333 grams of carbs, 28 grams of fat, and 21 grams of protein.

Is this amount of protein really that detrimental to my health? Aren't there some vegans that eat about this amount?

Yes it is.

Your BMR calories is 1665 which is maintenance for you? This does not sound right.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There are protein options that don't come from meat. If you are eating a lot of carbs try finding vegan alternatives that have protein added to them. I know there are noodles that are made out of legumes that are all protein so if you eat a lot of noodles you can switch to those and gain protein in your diet. There are lots of choices besides meat that will give you the protein you need. I will tell you that I have a protein supplement that I use when I know my choices have been deficient in protein. https://amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0GP9U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    There are protein options that don't come from meat. If you are eating a lot of carbs try finding vegan alternatives that have protein added to them. I know there are noodles that are made out of legumes that are all protein so if you eat a lot of noodles you can switch to those and gain protein in your diet. There are lots of choices besides meat that will give you the protein you need. I will tell you that I have a protein supplement that I use when I know my choices have been deficient in protein. https://amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0GP9U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whey is dairy, so not vegan. There are vegan options available though. Vega has a line of protein powders. There are many made with rice, pea, or soy.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) minimum is 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man. 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman.
    Beans and nuts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fix your protein and fat levels ...neither are enough

Protein is building blocks of cell repair and muscle building, aim for 0.64-0.8g minimum per lb bodyweight
    Fat helps the body absorb nutrients, aim for 0.4g minimum per lb bodyweight

What's your goal, your calories seem too low too
  • AnthonyX150X
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Fix your protein and fat levels ...neither are enough

Protein is building blocks of cell repair and muscle building, aim for 0.64-0.8g minimum per lb bodyweight
    Fat helps the body absorb nutrients, aim for 0.4g minimum per lb bodyweight

What's your goal, your calories seem too low too

Well since I am in maintenance, my goal is really just to find a macronutrient ratio that works for me and gives me the most energy throughout the day. I always seemed to have been drawn to carbs for the energy they bring to my body so that's why I started a high carb diet, but I didn't realize I am below 25 grams the recommended minimum for men...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is a group of vegans and vegetarians: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
    I am not doing plant-based because I eat meat sometimes but I mostly eat beans and tofu.
    Here are some sources of protein for you:
    Tofu, Beans, Soy Milk, Green Peas, Hemp Seeds, Walnuts, Edamame, Green Beans, Tahini, Chickpeas, Peanut Butter, Lentils,

• AnthonyX150X
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Yes it is.

Your BMR calories is 1665 which is maintenance for you? This does not sound right.

1665 is my BMR, but not my maintenance calories. I choose to eat my BMR during the weekdays so I can create a deficit for the weekends.