Muscle toning question

I want to start doing workouts like squats, crunches, etc for right now and then soon move on to workout out on machines and free weights at a gym. I just want to be lean and toned, not all muscular. So my question is, when I hit my toned body goal, how do I keep it toned without getting more muscular through workouts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Eat at maintenance
  • leslienicole318
    leslienicole318 Posts: 86 Member
    ^i know that. But if I stop working out, won't I eventually lose the toned and leaned look?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    ^i know that. But if I stop working out, won't I eventually lose the toned and leaned look?

You will eat at maintenance calories, and you keep lifting. You WILL not get bulky!!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    don't worry, getting "too muscular" doesn't just happen...people have to work hard for it....REALLY hard...
  • leslienicole318
    okay thank you! I wasn't sure at all
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Why would you stop working out?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

OP you do not want to stop working out.. Is this your plan that when you hit this ideal "toned body" you are gonna stop lifting and not maintain it?
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Well there's no correct answer but i would assume that lowering the weight and doing higher reps could do the job.
  • leslienicole318
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

OP you do not want to stop working out.. Is this your plan that when you hit this ideal "toned body" you are gonna stop lifting and not maintain it?

No I was confused because all they said was to eat at maintenance. I know to eat at maintenance, I was wondering how to continue working out without gaining more muscle mass. But my question has been answered. Thank you everyone!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Keep working out, you'll love the results!
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    My sister was a die hard weight lifter not a body builder..she never had bulky muscles..definition yes..to get those muscle they train several HOURS every day and eat very specifically. .even my son has only gotten definition. .lifting weights is beneficial to our bodies..I just got started ..been using bands but now am going to train three times a week.machines..free weights bands even resistance on the wall can only help!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Agreed with lifting heavy and eating at maintenance.