Macro friendly (cleaner) desserts

Options
Any suggestions on deserts that are macro friendly and pretty clean? I bought some Greek yogurt and I'll probably add some pb to it but I have a really bad sweet tooth so any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Watermelon
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You could do one of those avocado chocolate mousse things.

Personally, I don't see anything "dirty" about regular desserts, they all have macro and micro nutrition.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Clean? Just don't drop it on the floor, and you'll be fine. I don't get macro friendly, but I guess you mean somewhat healthy and nutritious, so:

Fruit and fresh berries are good, yogurt with fruit/berries or nuts/nut butter and natural sweetener (honey, maple syrup) is good, apple/orange and peanut butter is awesome, pear with almond butter or cashew butter too, cereal with milk is good, tapioka pudding with brown sugar and butter is very good. Oh, and I forgot smoothies - milk, banana, peanut butter, cocoa, or milk, banana, frozen strawberries or blueberries or lime (zest and juice).

If you find your cravings for sweet taste increasing, it could be smart to reduce intake of sweet stuff for a while.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Poached pears with a bit of yogurt and nuts to top.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana milkshake or ice cream. If you get the bananas really ripe first it will definitely satisfy a sweet tooth. Blended and then I add PB, protein powder, cocoa etc to make different flavours.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    A friend recommended a "three bite" rule for desserts (kind of iffy on logging calories though)
    I don't really know what you mean by clean.
    I have been on MFP since 3/2012. After trying low carb (no sweets, desserts, bread etc) for the first 2 months in, I read a topic here on all things in moderation, and ever since then I have not limited any foods. I have lost over 1/2 of my current body, and have kept it off for over 2-1/2 years now. My daily treat is a small piece of dark chocolate (40-60 calories). Holidays and special occasions I indulge in desserts and limit portion sizes.
    This will hopefully be sustainable for life for me.
  • lindasullivan345
    lindasullivan345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very often Greek Yogurt is just a name to market the yogurt! Be careful of fillers, added sweeteners, etc. I've eaten plain yogurt all my life, now choose the Low Fat version. You can sweeten it with fruit, a 1/2 top Honey or I've even added bran flakes for a meal (but add them just before eating- they get soggy). Or adding cut up cucumbers, dried mint,a touch of salt + garlic is refreshing in the summer. Or grate beets, with garlic + dash of salt for a cooling side dish or dip! Gets protein up + a veggie:)
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Very often Greek Yogurt is just a name to market the yogurt! Be careful of fillers, added sweeteners, etc. I've eaten plain yogurt all my life, now choose the Low Fat version. You can sweeten it with fruit, a 1/2 top Honey or I've even added bran flakes for a meal (but add them just before eating- they get soggy). Or adding cut up cucumbers, dried mint,a touch of salt + garlic is refreshing in the summer. Or grate beets, with garlic + dash of salt for a cooling side dish or dip! Gets protein up + a veggie:)

In the UK Greek yogurt has a legal meaning! (Has to be Greek and made using a strained method) I didn't realise it wasn't the same everywhere. On another note I like all your suggestions with Greek Yogurt. Yum.
  • violetvixen89
    violetvixen89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a bad sweet tooth too! I usually stick to fruits or I bake. I eat frozen bananas with dark chocolate, healthy oatmeal cookies, or very light versions of cheesecake that I come up with when I feel like I want a real treat. My go to is kiwi or watermelon though.
  • violetvixen89
    violetvixen89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Another thing that helps with my sweet tooth is keeping my sweets confined to earlier in the day. I typically won't eat them after 2. They're mostly paired with protein for breakfast. Example: I eat a lot of fruit or make sweet overnight oats with pineapple and coconut and whatnot for breakfast.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ice cream with berries.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You could do one of those avocado chocolate mousse things.

Personally, I don't see anything "dirty" about regular desserts, they all have macro and micro nutrition.

I would make the assumption the OP is looking for something that is more nutrient dense as opposed to "regular" desserts.

Fruit would be a good choice.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit. With Greek yogurt it's hard to go wrong. Maybe alittle honey too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Beats me what "clean" means in this context, as even plain yogurt is processed. In that fruit is part of many regular desserts (most of the ones I love most) I find it odd that being fruit-based would be distinct from "regular desserts."

Anything fruit-based, though. I love baked pears, but in summer I just eat plain fruit. Apples with cheese is good (not a sauce, just together). Yogurt with berries is good. Ice cream is good, as is sorbet (you can make it yourself and control the macros, but especially with sorbet lots is low cal). Make a sauce of rhubarb and berries for a little vanilla ice cream or some plain yogurt (with the berries you don't need to add sugar, although rhubarb cooks better IME if you add a bit).

I think of these as more fall desserts, but I did a sweet potato pudding at Thanksgiving (added very little sugar, lots of spices, some coconut milk) and have also done coconut milk and chia puddings that are tasty.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request because I deal with this same issue every day! Ha-ha! I count macros and they’re not super high, so I am ALWAYS trying to find ways to fit things in!! Here is some things I do. I buy sugar free Jell-O, (10 cal, 1 protein per cup). And I add some lite cool whip to it. Another idea. I like toaster strudels. 180 calories, so they eat up about ¼ of my carbs for the day but I like them so they’re worth it. Ha-ha. I order some protein things online so I can hit my proteins AND get something sort of sweet. Look up Eatmeguiltfree.com. I buy the blondie brownie mix and add about a tsp of Nestle chocolate chips to eat one when I bake them. Ends up being about 200 calories each, but most of that (22 grams) is protein. Another place I order from is mychoiceprotein. They have yummy sweet tooth protein snacks. Also there is doughbardoughnuts.com. They sell donuts that have around 16 carbs, 4 fat and 11 protein per donut. Add glaze for about 5 carbs. Another low carb macro friendly option I like is sliced strawberries with some Splenda on them. Sometimes I add a touch of lite Hershey’s syrup. Artic zero has a yummy Vanilla maple ice cream. (150 calories per pint. And a lot of that is protein… very low carbs/fat). I typically add some lite Hershey’s and make some PB fit into a runnier PB to put on it. Hope some of these ideas help! I am always trying to come up with ways to get sweets in with low carbs and fat!
  • fattyclatter
    fattyclatter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana nice cream? Or avocado chocolate mousse. Or PB2 coated in some melted dark chocolate or cocoa powder/melted coconut oil. Like healthier Reese's PB cups. Chia pudding is lovely too.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My go-to's are: Dates (3-5 depending on the macros I've eaten throughout the day) dipped in a TBSP of either almond butter or peanut butter. One banana, with either PB2 or one TBSP of PB (again, depending on the macros I have left), 1 tsp of honey, and 2 tsp of mini semi sweet chocolate chips. One cup of strawberries with 1 tsp of honey, and 2 tsp of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can always do Halo Top ice cream (although not as "clean") with various toppings.
  • briislovely
    briislovely Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @RebeccaNaegle glad that you understood what I was looking for lol I swear every time I post anything on here everyone has to pick apart what I am asking because I didn't say it correctly haha
    I am new to macros but I know I would have to find sweets that would fit my macros
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love halo top ice cream and it has awesome macros. I stay far away from artic zero that stuff stinks. No flavor at all.