Does counting CALORIES!! Really help with weight loss.

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It does as long as you do it as accurately as possible.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It really does help. I think it should be the first thing you do when you want to lose weight. While you are counting, you are learning what a healthy portion looks like, which will help you when you want to stop counting.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jazzlyn95 wrote: »
    If I stay within my calorie range can I eat whatever I want.. Burgers, fries, chips, ice cream etc.. Or do you have to healthy? It's so hard for me to die because I love carbs!!
    jazzlyn95 wrote: »
    If I stay within my calorie range can I eat whatever I want.. Burgers, fries, chips, ice cream etc.. Or do you have to healthy? It's so hard for me to die because I love carbs!!

Yes you can eat whatever you want over time you'll start to make choices to combat hunger...eg choose to have a large amount of vegetables as a side cos that means you can have the ice cream and you want that more than the onion rings etc etc

I lost my weight eating 200-300g carbs on average

• ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    18 pounds in one month from counting calories and very little else. I keep it at 1350 to 1500 calories per day. If I don't count I hate to think how many I would eat!! Best of all it allows me to have variety in my diet and for me that is much more satisfying than trying to stick with than other plans I've used.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Outside of maybe amputation, eating at a caloric deficit (eg counting calories) is the ONLY way to lose weight.

Having a baby
    Liposuction
    Tapeworm

Though I suppose having a tapeworm could be the equivalent of eating at a calorie deficit. :lol:

Chemo
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is a tool to help you lose weight. It will work if you commit to being accurate, consistent, and patient. You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn, calorie counting is the way to make sure that's what is happening. Good luck!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs counting calories
    For me I could not consistantly lose and keep it off without logging and seeing the numbers every day. I tried for 15 years not counting calories but had my best and easiest weight loss just counting calories and eating like a normal person not a dieter. Logging my food also helps me make sure I get enough protein and stuff so I'd say I meet my needs better.
    My dh lost 30 lbs without counting calories at all. He was able to just eat less, not exercise and just lose weight. Some people can do that.
    Weight loss, gain or maintenance is about having the right number of calories for your goal. You can count or not count calories but it is still having a calorie deficit that allows you to lose weight.
    I'd encourage you to try logging and counting calories for a couple of months.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    As others have said - the singular requirement for losing weight is to be in a calorie deficit. Ways to achieve that calorie deficit are numerous - you can eat any foods and as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Calorie counting is a tool to ensure you are actually in that calorie deficit, but it isn't a requirement. However, given that you are on a site that is built around a database used for calorie counting, you will find lots of advocates and lots of success stories here. Peruse that section of the forums if you need more examples....

I'm a proponent - lost 30 lbs and am currently maintaining thanks to counting calories and the helpful advice I got in these forums.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    96lbs since October 2015. Not a minute in a gym. Entirely accomplished by calorie counting, using a scale to measure food and portion properly, and keeping track in my food log. Easiest weight loss I have ever experienced. Didnt give up a single thing, but now I consume everything in moderation, and within my calorie budget.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No matter what "diet" you follow, if you're losing weight it is because you are consuming fewer calories than you burn. So yes, counting CALORIES!! works if you are accurate and stick with it.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yes. Counting calories is a great way to lose weight. Numbers don't lie. Typically when you stop losing weight it's because you've stopped counting calories or you're estimations are way off.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Yes you can eat whatever you want over time you'll start to make choices to combat hunger...eg choose to have a large amount of vegetables as a side cos that means you can have the ice cream and you want that more than the onion rings etc etc

Exactly this. It can be hard to stick with when you do things like blow all your calories on a big serving of french fries for lunch and then feel like your dinner is too small to keep you full. Play around with different foods and recipes. I had a day last week where I knew I was going to eat nachos when I went out, so I logged that in first and then played around with dinner options until I found something that would fit into my allowance. In my case it was a homemade veggie burger, salad, and sweet potato. A very satisfying meal, but by sticking to the veg, I still got my treat. Other days, I decide that the treat just isn't worth it. You can do it. But whoever said you'll learn a lot about nutrition is right! Your body will let you know when you aren't feeding it right. The good news is that the less junk you eat, the less you crave it.

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Exactly this. It can be hard to stick with when you do things like blow all your calories on a big serving of french fries for lunch and then feel like your dinner is too small to keep you full. Play around with different foods and recipes. I had a day last week where I knew I was going to eat nachos when I went out, so I logged that in first and then played around with dinner options until I found something that would fit into my allowance. In my case it was a homemade veggie burger, salad, and sweet potato. A very satisfying meal, but by sticking to the veg, I still got my treat. Other days, I decide that the treat just isn't worth it. You can do it. But whoever said you'll learn a lot about nutrition is right! Your body will let you know when you aren't feeding it right. The good news is that the less junk you eat, the less you crave it.

Plus, you can always earn more calories by adding in some exercise!
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    yes! all the yes
  • dottyrussellrn
    dottyrussellrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am finding it hard to eat as many calories as I've been "assigned". I'm also a slightly finicky eater and don't eat any red meat. I'm afraid that I'll become bored soon. Any suggestions?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    No. None of this actually works. The whole site is a lie. The thousands of success stories on the board are completely made up. We're all just here to socialize and post cat gifs, but we have to keep up the charade if we want to post here.

Of course it works. What do you think we're all here doing?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394510/the-ultimate-success-stories-guide

How did I miss that? Wow!
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ninety-one lbs since july 27th 2015 by counting calories.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any fab successful stories. Motivation needed xxxx

There is an entire forum dedicated to these successes.
    I have lost 63 pounds counting calories in less than five months.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Strictly speaking, counting calories does not work.

I mean if I accurately count the 10,000 calories I eat per day without doing any exercise - nope, no weight loss going to happen.

Calorie counting is a tool - if you use it to control your Intake to a calorie deficit level, yes, you will lose weight.