Elliptical vs Treadmill

I need some opinions, which burns more calories the treadmill or the elliptical?? Currently I use the run walk method to prepare myself to build endurance to run consistently. I walk for 3 minutes to warm up @ 3.2 then begin to run 2 minutes and walk 2 minutes till I've finished. I usually go for a total of 20-30 minutes with a 3 minute cool down.
On the elliptical I will go at a speed of no less than 60 @ 3 resistance. But which one is more beneficial??
Please leave a comment with your advice!!
Thank you

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    As far as burning calories, it really doesn't matter which piece of equipment you're on, it'll simply vary according to how hard you work. I like the elliptical, but it's really just a matter of personal preference.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    I do both. I run on the treadmill but if my knee is sore from too much running or my calf are sensitive from a long walk I get on the elliptical since it is a lower impact. I tend to burn more calories on the elliptical probably because I get bored on the treadmill after 15 minutes
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    I feel like its easier for me to maintain a good speed and heart rate on the elliptical rather than on a treadmill. But, everyone has their own preferences. I really see no need in using both in the same day. You could alternate days using the machines. I use my elliptical 5 days/week for an hour.
  • your_pal_crusher
    your_pal_crusher Posts: 4,437 Member
    I feel like the elliptical is much easier on my knees and hip flexors. However, I feel like I can work harder and go faster on the treadmill. I usually opt for the elliptical.
  • snehad123
    snehad123 Posts: 119 Member
    I go for Elliptical because it is good on the knees and it is comparatively easy but I have found treadmill to be more effective.