How do you get your fiber on the keto diet?

Options
Christie23
Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
Without getting too TMI... I really need some help in the ladies room, if you know what I mean, and I was wondering how all of you fellow keto kids like to get your fiber in without bulking up your carbs?

Replies

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You don't need fibre you need fat to help things flow....you also won't need to go as often....less.in less.out. chia is good if you wanted a bit of bulk.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplement like Natural Calm works great.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You don't need fibre you need fat to help things flow....you also won't need to go as often....less.in less.out. chia is good if you wanted a bit of bulk.

Oh, I take in lots of fat every day. I've been doing this for a while now... it's just that sometimes it's not the consistency that I find comfortable or easy to deal with and I thought there may be a way to supplement in order to ease the process a bit.

(I am really trying my best to politely discuss this, but it's not easy! So sorry everyone.)
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I eat lots and lots of greens. I look up recipes I've been storing in ChefTap. Of course, the availability of veggies here in the NE is ideal in the summer. (Broccoli and other vegs have lots of fiber). Been baking bread for ~40 yrs. I stopped, even enjoy delish cauliflower pizza!

For me, the choice became easy. Do I want to continue eating as I always have...or keep my feet, eyesight, etc.?

Not currently tracking my food... been losing fast. I really can't believe how good I feel - I'm doing this both to lose weight, and to bring my recent dx of diabetes under control. It was a bit of a struggle for those first few weeks. Now I actually will leave half of a portoin of a dessert I made (no sugar, lchf & delish) for the next day!!!

In comparison to my former binging, this is nothing short if miraculous.

• Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of vegetables for fiber and have no problems in the ladies room whatsoever. :) Tons of leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, brussels sprouts, peppers, cucumbers...good stuff!
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    TM "Smooth Move" or Yogi "Get Regular" herbal teas. They might help!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium if I don't eat beans or greens for that day.
    It keeps me regular. Take at night since it can make you sleepy.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You might consider adding a sprinkle of psyllium husk powder to your food. It will help with this issue too.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, broccoli, I've had a taco salad for the past several days for lunch - I started putting my taco meat on a bed of cabbage - it has more fiber than lettuce and more crunch. Drink lots of water. Chia seeds are also good - in smoothies or sprinkled on salad. There are several "bread" and waffle recipes that call for flax meal - it has a lot of fiber.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk powder. Or even the pills. That stuff is magic. Magnesium supplement also helps.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk powder. Or even the pills. That stuff is magic. Magnesium supplement also helps.

This works for me.

Leafy greens. And if necessary for the odd time, Dr Westman recommends Milk of Magnesia.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this ^^ person above. They are clueless. Fibre is extremely important for your gut biome, especially when on a ketogenic diet. I average about 60-75g a day. I eat lots of fibrous veggies, and then I also have 3 questbars. I also have fiber gummies and I eat from time to time if my fiber is low.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    tmpecus78 wrote: »

Don't listen to this ^^ person above. They are clueless. Fibre is extremely important for your gut biome, especially when on a ketogenic diet. I average about 60-75g a day. I eat lots of fibrous veggies, and then I also have 3 questbars. I also have fiber gummies and I eat from time to time if my fiber is low.

You don't actually have any idea what you are talking about, do you?

First, Quest bars will prevent and/or kick you out of ketosis. This has been known for a very long time. They can also cause massive blood sugar spikes in diabetics. Their net carb count is a joke.

Secondly, the recommended fiber intake per day, even for those who feel they need it, is less than a quarter of what you are talking about here.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    tmpecus78 wrote: »

Don't listen to this ^^ person above. They are clueless. ;)

Fats will keep things moving. coconut oil is a great one for that. Nuts are good for fat and fibre... if you feel you need fibre.

Magnesium citrate supplements will also help.

I'm not a believer in fibre as a helper. If you want bulk than fibre will help but is constipation is your issue, then making stools bulkier may not be of any benefit.

I was an undiagnosed celiac for many decades and constipation was an issue for me. I was on the fibre bandwagon and ate a tonne of it. Multiple fibre supplelements from pills to adding it to drinks to sprinkling it on foods. It never did a thing so I kept adding more. LOL After a month in ketosis I was more regular than I had ever been, and my stools were smaller. All a benefit.

If you do want fibre, most keto friendly veggies are loaded with it. Leafy greens, cics, celery, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower... all lots of fibre. Nuts and olives have plenty too. No on needs the fibre of grains. I think the grain sellers keep bringing up fibres importance so they have some redeeming health benefits for their product. LOL ;)