2»

Replies

• jtkatch
    jtkatch Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    jtkatch wrote: »
    cwgrant67 wrote: »
    I have this issue as well! Going to try eat dinner earlier instead of an afternoon snack then I should have more calories available at night.

I wish I can do this!! I try and have dinner as a family and wait u till my husband gets home which is usually around 6;30. By then I have been gone for an hour....hungry...making dinner and snacking and picking while I prep dinner....not good...then I eat less at dinner bc I feel bad thinking I really shouldn't eat dinner with all I just ate! BLTs (bites licks and tastes) I have to change that bad habit therefore having a good dinner and feeling satisfied and not wanting to have something after dinner.

Perhaps have some cut veggies out for you to snack on while you make dinner? Then you can curb some of your hunger without doing much damage.

Good idea...however this brings my carbs even higher as I am vegan and rely on veggies and salads ALOT...I am always over my carbs bc of my veggies
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I save myself calories for a night time snack but have now eat cottage cheese with peanut butter. The protein and fat keep me full. If I start eating sweets after dinner it starts happening daily and my sugar cravings go through the roof. If I am eating sweets pretty seldom I forget about them and don't need something sweet after dinner.

ETA: I just saw you are vegan so cottage cheese won't work. But try a protein source at night instead of carbs.
  • jtkatch
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    I save myself calories for a night time snack but have now eat cottage cheese with peanut butter. The protein and fat keep me full. If I start eating sweets after dinner it starts happening daily and my sugar cravings go through the roof. If I am eating sweets pretty seldom I forget about them and don't need something sweet after dinner.

ETA: I just saw you are vegan so cottage cheese won't work. But try a protein source at night instead of carbs.

Used to live cottage cheese and peanut butter!! Any vegan protein is high in fat !! Then my fat is over the limit. I set me macros at 40/30/30, but am always over in carbs bc of veggies and salads. Vegan proteins are high in fat albeit lower in carbs. No win situation. Maybe duct tape! Lol....trying a protein shake with some xanthium to thicken....pretty good consistency like pudding!!! Will try and have fun with different flavors . Thank you though
  • jtkatch
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Plan some high volume desserts. I usually have two. A big peanut butter protein shake (with only peanut butter protein and almond milk, xanthan gum to thicken-it fills up two glasses), then a pint of some kind of low calorie ice cream or popcorn. My dinners tend to be in the 300-400 calorie range because I like to eat 3x once I get home.

Okay....seriously....best idea so far!!!! Adding xanthium to my shake!!! Like pudding!!!!!! AMAZING!!! Thank you. What combos do you make?? Thank you thank you thank you
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think after dinner munchies/snacking is a very common problem. I don't eat breakfast, and have a protein and fibre shake mix for lunch, I drink tea all day which definitely helps keep me full. I'm making protein fluff for dessert tonight, huge volume and low calorie. I also go to bed at 7 every night and watch tv in there instead of the living room which is right next to the kitchen...
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Meal plan better, don't buy sweets.

Yeah, this. If its not in the house to eat, you can't snack on it at the wrong times.

Its what I've done with alcohol. If I buy some beer or wine, I seem to inevitably drink it all. And not in an alcoholic kind of way -- I inevitably have a serving a day until its gone. I now keep some beer at my parents-in-law's house. Have one when I go up there, we go there about once a week. I tune back the carbs that night at dinner then.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    libbyjuly wrote: »
    I knit to keep my mind off of it and it's too much of a pain to put my knitting aside, get the puppies up and go find something to eat. =)

I feel like getting a fuzzy lapwarmer that you have to move every time you get up is an important part of this process....can I get a doctor's note saying I need one?
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I tend to have that problem, too. What helps is to brew a big pot of herbal or decaf tea, maybe with a *little* honey in it, and sip that all evening. Gives me something to put in my mouth. Also I go upstairs away from the kitchen.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here about planning snacks, etc. For me, the evenings are difficult not so much because of hunger but rather because of habit. I used to snack mindlessly in front of the tv. Also, if I'm tired I turn to food when instead, I should just go to bed.

Two changes have helped. First, I get my night time routine done fairly early so that when I'm sleepy I can turn in. More sleep = less exhaustion snacking. The other big change was finding something relaxing to do with my hands while watching tv. I took up knitting. It's so zen and productive at the same time. It's hard to knit with cheeto dust or chocolate on your fingers. It's tactile and soothing like eating can be. Plus, it works as a kind of stress reliever. Coloring, zentangles, etc. would probably serve the same purpose.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, even craving nuts and sweets. I have a decaf coffee after cleaning up the dinner mess. I GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN until my 100 -200 calorie snack at 8pm. After my evening snack I watch a 45 minute show...Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Stranger Things, Shameless, etc. After that, I go upstairs and fold laundry, wipe shower walls, read, etc....point is I stay out of the kitchen.

I like Beantos chips and Fage 2% if I'm craving salt and Halo Top or Yasso bars for sweets.

Keep other, enticing foods out of the house.
  • yawzagirl
    yawzagirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after dinner!
    It's a rule!
    It took dedication and will power, but I did it! You can too.....
    Now I have to work on my 3:30 to 4:30 issue...