200 lbs to lose

Options
2»

Replies

• cindylynnb2016
    cindylynnb2016 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. For every 2 or 5 pounds, you'll start to feel a difference. When you drop one size, you get super motivated. Remember every day is a new day. Always set the tone and start with healthy breakfast. Avoid restaurants and limit alcohol. That was hard for me since I love wine and beer but the craving went away and now I just have 1 or 2 a week. And never give up. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I started out at 368lbs, I'm currently fluctuating around 310~312, so I know where you're coming from.

My advice is just to count your calories. If you find it hard to stay within the goal MFP gives you, then do what I do and walk! You don't have to do fancy workouts if you don't want to, I just walk and it's helped me to drop weight fairly easily this summer in conjunction with counting calories. I'm a PhD student with very little free time, so I make sure to get up about an hour earlier than I have to in order to get a few miles of walking out of the way every morning.

But walking, or exercising in general, isn't necessary for weight loss. It all comes down to counting calories. Good luck, you can do this!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    All of your suggestions so far are brilliant, thank you for taking the time to reply. Just reading through some of them have highlighted a few things I think I have been doing wrong already. Cutting calories too drastically, exercising to a point where I'm uncomfortable and begin to resent working out, setting huge goals instead of smaller, more achievable goals. I think I expect results too quickly and need to learn to be more patient; as many of you have said, it's a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

Please do keep posting, I've enjoyed reading your responses so far and would love to hear more of what you've all done to create a balanced and healthy lifestyle. Xx

Great insight! Slow and steady is key. I started out with a modest calorie deficit and a modest amount of exercise and felt better right away.

Losing two pounds per week may seem painfully slow to you, but if you keep at it for a year you will be down 100 pounds :)
  • havalynd
    havalynd Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm still halfway in my journey but I found MFP to really help though there are some need-to-follow rules for the most benefit.

1. Log all your food and make sure it's accurate! (Weighing is important, it's so easy to 'eyeball' something and get it totally wrong.) You get in the habit of seeing your choices recorded and how it adds up and learning to better manage your calories for the day & hold yourself responsible.

2. Make sure you eat with a deficit (Look up your BMR here and plan accordingly. My BMR right now is about 1600 calories so I'm sticking to 12-1400 calories on days with minimal exercise and adjusting it for more where required.)

3. Try to get some exercise in. Not a ton, my first 40 lbs were lost with no gyms or routines, just eating healthier (12-1400 calories a day) and walking a minimum of 30 minutes each day taking my dog for a walk. The more exercise you include the better, of course, but when you're just starting out even walks are a good source of exercise.
  • sanchez253
    sanchez253 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hey there,
    I came it to this group weighing 220lbs and now I'm 212, I know its not not that much of a difference but its a big deal to me and I'm happy to see the number go down. My point in that was when you achieve a small goal always reward yourself and let it be known.. You wanna look at fitness as a healthier lifestyle to be able to be that role model for your child. I definitely agree with small goals. Its a good way to start your journey. For me in my personal experience I'm not on any special diet. All my food is just eating healthier and making them more nutritious meals. I plan ahead, pre prep my lunch and dinner for the week on Sunday. I'm a visual eater.. lol.. I like to make my meals look pretty and more appealing to the eye. It sounds funny I know.. But it works for me.. I make sure to try to implicate all the food groups through my day. For snacks I do veggies, fruit, sometimes nuts or dried fruit (my favorite).
    I don't calorie count just because that led me to only be focused on number and if it I went over it goes red which made me fell disappointed in myself which was not how i wanna feel though out my journey. I log my food but not the calories. And if I'm eating something i know i shouldn't be like a muffin, I log it and write why did i eat it, "was it temptation, was i hungry, did I eat it because others are and ect". Keep reminding yourself your trying to change...
    I exercise any chance i get... On my lunch I eat and then go for my 30 min walk everyday. I like to track my distance, calories and steps. on the weekends i don't work but i still get up early and got to the park and do a jog/walk/my exercises. Yes I may struggle or be out of breath, but I continue to just focus on me myself and I. They can look they can stare and they even laugh if it makes them feel better. Just remember this is for YOU<>.... BE POSITIVE... Wish you the best of luck.. lets be friends.. ;)
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stay here on MFP no matter what and log your food I found it helps a lot. And the support system/ friendships you build in here also helps. Starting is the hardest part. Try to eat half of a big meal if you can, and along with that what people say about MINI steps is really important because you don't want to feel overwhelmed and quit. Maybe incorporating one healthy meal a day... things like that... If you feel you did bad one day it's all good, don't beat yourself, pat yourself on the back and all positive thoughts about how you will success the next day. Day by day. You will find meals you like and are helping to lose weight... ask questions etc.

As far as finding time to work out on such schedule that's tricky but same approach, baby steps. You gotta find a workout you love, whatever it is... you will find it, believe me. Don't beat yourself with it either, usually 15 min -20 min a day or 30 min 2-3 times a week is good to start. Videos on the tv/ computer maybe would be a good thing for you since you have limited time during the day.

I think what has help me the most is realizing I am my own coach, the only person who really knows what works and what doesn't for me. Much better than follow somebody else's plan even though they are professionals etc... just do it everyday and you will start to see results.
  • ChrisVassell
    ChrisVassell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is the biggest thing holding you back from your weight loss, in your opinion?
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try different ways to be active and decide what you enjoy the most. You need to find something to fit into your life for good. So, swimming, walking, running, Zumba, yoga, there's lots of choice and you are bound to find something you enjoy and want to go back to. Don't slog it out in the gym if you hate it. I walk a lot and swim, and run when my body lets me, and I enjoy it all. That's key!