I am seriously backed up...

Options
~ sorry but this is definitely a TMI post

For the past like 2 months I have been unable to poop. I get so constipated to the point where my stomach is large and hard and just overall hurts. Ive been taking a probiotic, Ive been trying miralax, and I did try a laxative which worked but made me so sick that I really never want to have to resort to it again.

Any suggestions? Besides the doctor, Im trying to get it figured out on my own before resulting to that.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you've been constipated for two months you need to see a doctor now.

Things that lead to constipation:
    - low fat intake. .4 grams/pound bodyweight is a good minimum to aim for as far as fat goes
    - low water intake
    - low fiber intake. 25 grams/day for women, 38 grams/day for men are good targets.
  • heyaliwood458
    heyaliwood458 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know I get plenty of water but definitely not sure about my fiver or fat intake so I'll look into that. Because of my insurance, the closest doctor is 2.5 hours away and I just havent had time with my schedule to get an appointment but Im moving on saturday and will be WAY closer so Ill make sure to get in next week and get checked out.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I hope what you mean is that you have been constipated for two months not that you haven't GONE in that long!! probiotics --GOOD ones. Udos Flora 8 billion are what I use and are amazing. also, calm magnesium citrate powder at night, coffee in the morning. lots of vegetables. low carb diets always made me constipated.
  • heyaliwood458
    Options
    Yes sorry I should clear that up, Ive been pretty constipated for 2 months, but I have had some relief and have passed a BM here and there ( the most being when i took a laxative) I actually heard I should try the magnesium citrate so Ill give that a go :)
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    oh thats not good. make a doc's appt; they mgiht be able to give you something that wont make you sick. mean time i find that prune juice is good, as is pineapple juice. also fresh oj.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Once it passed 1 week of no pooping, you should have made the trip to your doctor. You'd put your life into the hands of random people on the internet over seeing someone who has years of medical experience because it's only 3 hours out of the way.

5-6 hours of travel to figure out what's wrong and to feel better seems like a good deal to me.

Also, many doctors allow phone consultations. I'm not sure if yours does, but i know my mom used to call the doctor a lot.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Prunes or prune juice.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    oh thats not good. make a doc's appt; they mgiht be able to give you something that wont make you sick. mean time i find that prune juice is good, as is pineapple juice. also, fresh oj. are you taking any meds? i know co-codamol, tramadol, paracetamol will all make you constipated.

hope you get something to help. i've been there, i feel your pain.
  • heyaliwood458
    Options
    My doctor wont do a phone consultation. I get that its a serious issue but I dont go all week without pooping. I would say maybe once or twice a week, but I definitely used to go at least 5 times a week. My mom though has always had only two BM a week. And my step-dad is a doctor so I figured if it was super serious he would tell me to go in ASAP.

I posted on here just to see if anyone knew of suggestions to helo get my bowels moving because until I move, I DONT have the time. 5 hour roundtrip may not seem like a lot but I work every day but sunday and I am in 3 summer classes and I just dont have that free time right now.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All of the above, also, give yourself plenty of time to "move" (bring your favorite magazine with you) and there is a tea called "smooth move"- senna. Yes, discuss this with your doctor.

If you are tracking everything you eat on MFP, I would add in your diary in the notes when you do go- you will be able to look back and see what helps you go and what tends to bind you up.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplement, prunes, and Allbran every day until you are normal! You need to track your fiber and hit 20g per day.
  • heyaliwood458
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has given advice!

And I will be making an appointment for next week :)
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else - see the doctor! In the meantime, there are a couple herbal teas that can help "move things along". Traditional Medicinals Smooth Move is a good one, and I am currently enjoying Yogi Soothing Mint Get Regular tea. Good luck!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a two-headed beast and both heads have to be heeded. Heed the insoluble, which imparts velocity to your gut, and heed the soluble, which creates the gelatinous texture while also holding a lot of water. It is this soft, permeable environment that gut bacteria love to operate in. Insoluble fiber should be 1/3 - 1/2 of your total, and soluble fiber should be 1/2-2/3 of your total. A simple one-item solution I use to get 10 mg of insoluble every day is to have a breakfast burrito wrapped in an Ole' Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb tortilla. That tortilla gets it's insoluble fiber from the isolated husk of brown rice. Thus, I also know that brown rice gives me insoluble fiber. Other than that, I'm not sure where to find insoluble fiber. Even though I care enough about fiber to be sure I get at least 35 mg almost every day, which is what males should get, it really seems to me that everything other than the brown rice and the tortilla in my diet is giving me soluble fiber. Too much soluble fiber has the problem of creating an immobile mass in your gut. If your natural biological processes are working, all you need is a daily tortilla or brown rice, a daily magnesium supplement, plenty of daily water, and time.

That discourse out of the way, your description of this having begun 2 months ago prompts me to ask: Have you made any dramatic change in your food intake 2 months ago?
    You'll get relief soon. We'll be cheering you on.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My doctor wont do a phone consultation. I get that its a serious issue but I dont go all week without pooping. I would say maybe once or twice a week, but I definitely used to go at least 5 times a week. My mom though has always had only two BM a week. And my step-dad is a doctor so I figured if it was super serious he would tell me to go in ASAP.

I posted on here just to see if anyone knew of suggestions to helo get my bowels moving because until I move, I DONT have the time. 5 hour roundtrip may not seem like a lot but I work every day but sunday and I am in 3 summer classes and I just dont have that free time right now.

OP, avocado is a great source of both fiber and fat. A lot of berries are good fiber sources too (cherries and raspberries and blackberries are the first that come to mind but certainly are the only ones.) When my daughter was younger, I realized that many fruits/veggies that start with "p" led to poop so I kept that in mind--peas, pineapple, prunes, plums, peaches, pineapple, peppers. I also eat Brownberry double fiber bread (12 grams of fiber in 2 slices.) Nature Valley chewy protein bars have 5 grams of fiber. And, of course, oats.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Take a sick day, that's what they are for. Besides, in your post you said you haven't gone in over a month, a much more serious issue than only going twice a week-which can be completely normal.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    try also changing the way you sit on the toilet - bend forwards and raise your feet up (I think you can get little stools to help with this (no pun intedned). It helps to stretch out the passage to make the actual movement easier. (think asian squat toilets). Even just sitting on the toilet without straining can help.
  • heyaliwood458
    Options
    Thank you all seriously for the advice and suggestions! Until I see my doctor Im definitely going to try some of these things :)

I was getting like absolutely no protein before...I have lost 104 pounds but honestly my diet wasn't that great. Sadly I was more focused on losing weight instead of my health and whats good for my body and other things.

I was only eating special K cereal, brownberry toast with peanut butter, fruit, low cal ice cream, a salad here and there and that was basically it.

I just changed it though because I want to be healthy so Ive added eggs, chicken, veggies into my diet. (Ive always been a super picky eater so im trying new things hoping my taste buds have finally changed)

I guess ive always been a little naive on being healthy. I used to eat mcdonalds twice a day, 2 burgers and 3 large fries EACH time with a couple of cokes, so the fact that Ive stopped eating fast food all together is a miracle on my body hahah.

Im definitely focusing on putting better foods into my body to fuel it and hopefully that will help with my BMs.
  • heyaliwood458
    Options

Take a sick day, that's what they are for. Besides, in your post you said you haven't gone in over a month, a much more serious issue than only going twice a week-which can be completely normal.

Sorry, what I meant is that Ive felt constipated for about 2 months. Honestly I had never problems with constipation before and it just seemed weird I went from pooping like 5 to 6 times a week to 1 to 2. Ive felt like my stomach is constantly hard and that I need to poop but it just doesnt easily come like before. If I hadnt had a single poop in over a week I would take a sick day, but I feel like it can wait until next week.