Some help with my calories please

I am 5ft 4
Weight 59kg
Exercise 5 times per week doing heavy lifting, dead lifts, squats etc etc with some HIIT thrown in.

I have been advised to up my calorie intake to about 1700 which sounds a lot to me. I am skinny fat so think that is why I am having trouble toning. Do you think I should have faith and up my calories to 1700. Have previously been consuming about 1500. Thanks so much for reading

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    If you think 1700 is too much, do 1600.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Good idea, I appreciate that
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Why or who advised you to up your intake to 1700? Is this in order to do a "clean bulk" (bulking while in a small calorie surplus)?

Are you following a specific strength training program?

And who has told you that you are skinny fat and because of this you are having trouble toning, which toning is not really a thing.. Do you want to lose fat and build muscle at the same time, is this really the goal?
  • Spitspot81
    I am following a bikini guide program. It has given a guide on which body shape I am (mesomorph) and then given a calorie intake guide including macros based on my starting weight. It includes a weekly strength training programme.

I suppose my next step would be to find out my body fat percentage and then I can gauge whether I need to lose fat?

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I have been in your shoes about 2 years ago. Scared that if I increased I would gain fat. Once I increased my calories and got my macros in check I found my workouts improved and I was losing inches. I would trust the increase.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    spitapot81 wrote: »
    I am following a bikini guide program. It has given a guide on which body shape I am (mesomorph) and then given a calorie intake guide including macros based on my starting weight. It includes a weekly strength training programme.

I suppose my next step would be to find out my body fat percentage and then I can gauge whether I need to lose fat?

Are you saying outside of setting up this calorie and macro plan according to this program, you are now supposed to get your body fat percentage checked? And how or when will this be?

I am asking this because usually before calories are setup one would know if they are going to cut fat/build muscle, loose fat by eating a deficit while still lifting, or bulk.

Edited: Because this is a bikini program, and at your current height and weight, you will be "cutting fat/building muscle" in order to get to a certain size, shape, body composition. In order to do this, this is done at "maintenance calories" with or without a small deficit.

What needs to happen if I am getting this correctly, you need to see if the 1700 calories is your maintenance calories (with or with the deficit). If you are try to cut (meaning diet down to get leaner) with just maintaining your current muscle then 1700 calories may be too much and not enough deficit to achieve your goals.
  • Spitspot81
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Are you saying outside of setting up this calorie and macro plan according to this program, you are now supposed to get your body fat percentage checked? And how or when will this be?

I am asking this because usually before calories are setup one would know if they are going to cut fat/build muscle, loose fat by eating a deficit while still lifting, or bulk.

Which one of these are you following?

I am following a book that I purchased. Yes, outside of this I should get my fat percentage checked...I can do that at the gym. I suppose I should have done this before, so that is my error. I suppose once I know this figure I can determine what my next goals are
  • RoxieDawn

Which one of these are you following?

I am following a book that I purchased. Yes, outside of this I should get my fat percentage checked...I can do that at the gym. I suppose I should have done this before, so that is my error. I suppose once I know this figure I can determine what my next goals are

Well alright! Good luck with the program.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    What is/was your weight doing at 1500?
    That is by far your best guide to setting your calories to lose, maintain or gain weight.

BTW "mesomorph" is purely a descriptive term and has nothing to do with your calorie needs.

First step is to decide your goals for both your weight and training. Until you are clear on goals the rest won't fall into place.
    Definitive, measurable goals - not "toning"!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I trust you've taken measurements all over (waist, wrist, neck, etc.). If you goal is to trim up, these measurements are what you are seeking to improve.
  • Spitspot81
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I trust you've taken measurements all over (waist, wrist, neck, etc.). If you goal is to trim up, these measurements are what you are seeking to improve.

Yes I have. First thing in the morning I will get my bfp checked
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    https://legionathletics.com/macronutrient-calculator/

Find out your body fat % and then use this calculator (just scroll down a little and you'll see it).
  • sijomial

Just beware if you are using a BIA device the number could be horrendously inaccurate.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    I am 5ft 4
    Weight 59kg
    Exercise 5 times per week doing heavy lifting, dead lifts, squats etc etc with some HIIT thrown in.

I have been advised to up my calorie intake to about 1700 which sounds a lot to me. I am skinny fat so think that is why I am having trouble toning. Do you think I should have faith and up my calories to 1700. Have previously been consuming about 1500. Thanks so much for reading

What's your goal weight?

• RoxieDawn
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I am 5ft 4
    Weight 59kg

What's your goal weight?

She does not know yet. The goal of what she is planning to do has not been created just yet. She is following a book for a bikini guide program.

She plans to get bf tested to determine the next step they way I understand it.
  • Spitspot81
    sijomial wrote: »

Just beware if you are using a BIA device the number could be horrendously inaccurate.
    What's the best way to measure body fat then?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I am 5ft 4
    Weight 59kg

What's your goal weight?

She does not know yet. The goal of what she is planning to do has not been created just yet. She is following a book for a bikini guide program.

She plans to get bf tested to determine the next step they way I understand it.

I see. Judging by her height I am guessing 115lbs...
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member

Calipers are a really cheap and accurate way - you can get some off of Amazon for a few $$. I prefer a Bod Pod (you can see if anybody offers that where you live or at your gym), although it's not as accurate (but it's really fun). I pay $50/session.
  • sijomial

Hydrostatic immersion or DEXA scan.
    BodPod can be reasonable.

Most self-applied methods have a very large margin of error including trying to contort yourself and use callipers.

Mirror, progress photos and tape measure are good ways to track progress.